Don't Worry, our justice system is a joke! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't Worry, our justice system is a joke!

Re: Don't Worry, our justice system is a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    It's obviously not used in all circumstances.....but when the defendent is constantly showing up and putting it off, "till he gets a lawyer" or some other lame excuse, thinking he can draw it out long enough....or the lawyer is using lame excuses.
    Having been a witness in a possession of stolen goods case that dragged out through 2 years, 6 lawyers, and 4 subpoenas of myself I tend to have some sympathy for those who have to put up with that sort of garbage.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Having been a witness in a possession of stolen goods case that dragged out through 2 years, 6 lawyers, and 4 subpoenas of myself I tend to have some sympathy for those who have to put up with that sort of garbage.

The waste of time, resources and money, in the court system, especially criminal court, is well..........criminal.

It was jus a lil joke.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 08-21-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: insult
    _______________________________________o-'o
    Good guy's wear Black!
    I want everything faster than everything else!
    F 203

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Request a Jury Trail for EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Request a Jury Trail for EVERYTHING
    Can you request a jury trial for a traffic ticket?
    x

Quote Originally Posted by KRFDPSSTI View Post
    And you are incorrect...got my abstract to prove it...
    The demerit point's clock starts ticking from the date of the offense, they expire 2 years from date of offense. How ever the actual infraction stays on your abstract 3 years from date of conviction, theoretically you could end up with a conviction that have the demerit points expired before you were convicted.

This buys you some time if points or an infraction is going to affect your licence.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    The waste of time, resources and money, in the court system, especially criminal court, is well..........criminal.
    The judge felt the same way. The defendant ultimately plead guilty stating he was sorry, and asked that the conviction be set aside as it would create a hardship for himself and his family, by keeping him from taking his twice yearly purchasing trips to the US for his business. The judge made two comments, in his summation from the bench, that seemed remarkably on point.

1) You didn't seem very sorry when you dragged these good people (pointing to the witnesses) away from their lives the many times that you delayed this trial.

2) You should have thought of the sort of hardship that you and your family would endure BEFORE you committed your crimes.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    The demerit point's clock starts ticking from the date of the offense, they expire 2 years from date of offense. How ever the actual infraction stays on your abstract 3 years from date of conviction, theoretically you could end up with a conviction that have the demerit points expired before you were convicted.

This buys you some time if points or an infraction is going to affect your licence.
    It buys you no time at all as far as your license is concerned.

Demerit points are applied retroactively. If as a result you were retroactively over the demerit point limits for an interview or suspension, you'll still suffer that fate no matter how long you delay the final conviction date.

I dont believe thats the case when they finally apply the demerits to the offense date and if you go over based on the points at that time ... you get the suspension. I havent heard of this happening to anyone and it was based on posting by a copper on this website if I remember correctly.

Ahhh just missed the last post

I've avoided an interview due to the points coming off before I was convicted.
    x

I've avoided an interview due to the points coming off before I was convicted.
    As the title of the thread states... lol

Banned

just to note, we don't have a "justice" system here in canada.
    we only have a legal system. there is no such thing as justice.