Going in front at stop lights? Legal? - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

Re: Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoruin View Post
    I regularly drive in the left side of the right lane in downtown traffic. That seems like a no brainer, it's an open lane with parked cars next to it, why not use it. Although I have been warned by a rookie cop that it is illegal .
    I guess that's why he's a rookie cop.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by JiuJitsu View Post
    There is a thread on here about a guy that stopped at the light, put his foot down in a small oil spot on the road and his foot slipped out from under him and he dropped his bike... If you pulled your bike between lanes and had that happen to you but had your bike land on my car I wouldn't be too happy... First I'd make sure you were ok then I'd make sure you were deaf from my yelling... Its tempting yes but its not legal for a reason... Safety being the main reason...
    most of Europe and California would disagree with you
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Don't forget, the rest of the world also.

Quote Originally Posted by 01cbr View Post
    It IS illegal.
    You cant do those things in a car so you cant do them on a bike. Motorcycles don't get any special treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01cbr View Post
    First of all, this is Ontario.

You arnt allowed to pass a vehicle in the same lane........car or bike. Does every road rule have to be spelled out again for you "motorcycle specific" before you understand it applies to both?
    tell that to the motorcycle cops that ride side by side on the highway.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    Don't forget, the rest of the world also.
    Agreed. I've ridden in California and while that's hardly a world-wide experience, I can say that the locals know how not to kill riders at every turn. Throwing tourists into the mix kinda adds to the risk but whatever. Toronto is a good training ground for learning defensive lane sharing techniques.

Lane filtering/lane sharing can be done predictably and safely as demonstrated by most of the world. Drivers can learn to expect bikes between lanes, and riders can learn some basic rules of etiquette that allow everyone to live in harmony.
    "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity" -- Einstein

sadrik - Square One, Mississauga
    2000 Blue VFR800 (Europe)
    2003 Black CBR1100xx (North America)

The difference is that in Europe and California you have European and Californian drivers.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    The difference is that in Europe and California you have European and Californian drivers.
    True, but don't forget they also have European and Californian motorcyclists. All the responsibility for making something like this doesn't just rest with the car drivers. The fact is, their motorcyclists are much better trained than ours, as well as their drivers.

--- D

I wouldn't necessarily say California has better drivers or riders as much as just being raised to expect motorcycles between lanes. It is also hard to have fatal incidents when traffic is moving at 10 m/hr. Also their splitting rules are that riders can only go something like 10-15 miles/hr over the speed of the rest of trafic so really often traffic isn't moving super fast when people are splitting.

This is why I think it could work quite well in heavy urban areas like downtown Toronto.

True, but don't forget they also have European and Californian motorcyclists. All the responsibility for making something like this doesn't just rest with the car drivers. The fact is, their motorcyclists are much better trained than ours, as well as their drivers.

--- D
    Also a valid point. What I was attempting to point out, in my clumsy way, was that the drivers involved are quite familiar with dealing with a large number of single track vehicles, for far more of the year than are ours.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

By this logic, motorcycles shouldn't be able to use parking spaces next to cars. Especially not street parking, where they park so close together. Someone might drop their bike on a car.

--- D
    Apples and oranges. That logic your using is equal to a bike being in its own lane... I'm not saying my example was the reason its not legal. All I'm saying is if a bike rode between my car and the car beside me and hit my car there would be hell to pay...

Apples and oranges. That logic your using is equal to a bike being in its own lane... I'm not saying my example was the reason its not legal. All I'm saying is if a bike rode between my car and the car beside me and hit my car there would be hell to pay...
    More hell than if a car hit your car?
    "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity" -- Einstein

sadrik - Square One, Mississauga
    2000 Blue VFR800 (Europe)
    2003 Black CBR1100xx (North America)

Quote Originally Posted by sadrik View Post
    More hell than if a car hit your car?
    Depends on if the driver of the car was doing something that is illegal...

and if a bike and car are in the same parking space? There apples to apples.

Anytime any vehicle damages another there is hell to pay.... unless you don't care about your property.

Depends on if the driver of the car was doing something that is illegal...
    Hitting another vehicle is illegal.

If you park your bike on the street (i.e. in the curb lane), how is the bike taking up its own lane? Have you never parked your bike between two cars at the side of the road? It's legal, and yet your bike could fall over and hit a car. Should we ban that sort of parking then? Now the example is apples-to-apples with what you're talking about.

--- D