Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

Question Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

I was talking to a friend a few days ago from Europe (big Harley guy) and he told me that when he rides there he always makes his way to the front at a stop light. Why? Because he can and he's pretty much always going to be off the line faster than any of the cars. Makes sense. He says some people even move out of the way to let him through, and he thanks them for it. Basically that's how everyone rides down there. I told him that here I don't think we can do that, he goes "I'd sell my bike the next day then and quit".

Fast forward to the next day, I'm riding down a little street, there's pretty much no cars around except for a minivan ahead of me in the distance. Light turns red so he stops and as I'm slowing down approaching him I think to myself "hey, maybe I can pull up to his right side and take off first". Mind you there was plenty of room on the right, even though it was it was still a single lane.

When the light turns green I take off, guy in minivan starts honking like crazy, I thought the compressor powering his horn would fail at any moment, meanwhile he was already so far at the back and I was in no way pulling a dangerous move by going to close to him, cutting him off, etc.

What's the big fuss seriously? Are people too dumb here to realize that having a bike go first will seriously not impede them in any way since 99 % of the time the bike will take off faster anyways and most likely travel at a higher rate of speed than the car?

As for legality, I'm not sure what the law is, maybe someone here could tell me. As for doing it again I don't, not after the honking I got from a random tool in the middle of no where with no traffic.
    Night Rod Special

Re: Going in front at stop lights? Legal?

Not legal
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I would've honked too

I did it only once and didnt have any problems with it. Went past 3 cars each lane through the middle. Noone seemed to mind. I felt bad though for the cars right at the back!

Do you mean pull to the right hand lane if its empty, and then cutting back into the left lane after the intersection, or lane spliting?

Edit: Oh you mention a single lane.

Yeah man, if we dont want cagers doing that to us we shouldnt be doing it to them. People that do that to me in cars really piss me off.
    Last edited by Buddhacide; 08-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Definitely not legal. But people get way too ****** off if you do it around here. Does it really affect their day that much that they need to get all worked up over it, no. But I find drivers today especially around the GTA are all A-Holes, they cut you off left right and center but the second anyone comes with in 10 feet of them it's like you tried to Kill them. No wonder the rest of Canada hates T.O people.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

C'mon.

If you were on a bike and a car did that to you, you'd be screaming bloody murder.

I do that all the time downtown with no problems.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    C'mon.

If you were on a bike and a car did that to you, you'd be screaming bloody murder.
    I think that sums it up pretty nicely man. I get the idea that a bike is able to fit, and that it's faster accelerating etc, but it's just about 'invading my bubble'.

I wouldn't want anyone to do it when i'm on my bike or in my car. But yeah i'm fairly sure that's not legal.
    "A Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins with a Single Rev" - Confucius (Edited )

C'mon.

definetly not the same thing...you're trying to compare apples to oranges here.
    "ride to your full potential or why ride at all!'

04 R6 (sold)
    07 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post

As for legality, I'm not sure what the law is, maybe someone here could tell me. As for doing it again I don't, not after the honking I got from a random tool in the middle of no where with no traffic.
    how did you get your license if you have no idea if this is legal?

i do it everyday. i don't see what is the big deal. i m not holding any body up and it don't effect them what so ever.

i get honk at only about 1/20 times but like i care.

the only time i don't do it is when the weather is bad (rain) or i don't feel right or safe about it.

one thing that i m really afraid of is if i get caught and the cop give me a stuning ticket.
    Last edited by deathkill; 08-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathkill View Post
    i do it everyday. i don't see what is the big deal. i m not holding any body up and it don't effect them what so ever.

i get honk at only about 1/20 times but like i care.

the only time i don't do it is when the weather is bad (rain) or i don't feel right or safe about it.

one think that i m really afraid of is if i get caught and the cop give me a stuning ticket.
    I think you would care actually.

We want all the same rights as cars but don't want to have to follow the same rules? Something wrong there.

i wouldn't do it anywhere outside downtown...

i do it all the time downtown traffic, and no one seems to mind...if you think about it, it actually helps ease the traffic in the back.

Cops downtown are kinda relaxed about that as well...i've done it many times in front of a cop and he didn't even give me a second look. One time, as i approached the front of the line, i noticed that a cop car was sitting there...i went up right beside him on the right...and he took a look at me and nodded...i nodded back and at the lights went in front of him....no probs at all.

but like i said, i would not do it anywhere outside of the downtown core

If anyone wants to sit in traffic with the cars on a hot day, be my guest. I'll wave to you while I ride by on the right.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

What an a-hole move. The guy was mad because the rider jumped the line to the front. It's like those people, let's call them "cab drivers"......that constantly pull every a-hole move available to jump up a few cars in the city. It's maddening. I don't care if you can, you just shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by shicksr6 View Post
    definetly not the same thing...you're trying to compare apples to oranges here.
    I disagree completely. If you want respect on the road in whatever vehicle you drive, you have to give it back.

I disagree completely. If you want respect on the road in whatever vehicle you drive, you have to give it back.
    If someone in a car fast enough to wax me off the line comes up next to me at a busy intersection, I will give him all the respect he needs to fit in there.

I don't see that many Italian Exotics in London, however, so I have never been given the opportunity.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

not legal.

Ppl in NA have this thing about being in front of another vehicle...even if there is no difference to their travel time.