Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion - Page 2

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion

Re: Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion

From my experiences with State Farm which has been great, I've learned this.

1. G1 licences for a minimum of 5 years
    2. Full G licence
    3. No more than 2 convictions so 1 ticket, 1 accident or 2 tickets, if you have 3 they will not insure you
    4. Minimum M1 requirement, you don't need your full M or anything.

SF is cheaper for a 21 y/o like me to insure a GSXR-600.
    However to insure a Ninja 250R at SF is about $1950/year and at JR Duffy it is about $1800/year.

So I would highly recommend SF for younger people who do qualify looking for a SS.

Also the monthly payments instead of the lump sum is great!
    And on top of that, you can stop insurance in the winter season and just put it on fire and theft protection for like $24/month which saves me over $340/month (as I pay $365/month for insurance).

Hope that helps! Let me know if you want a good refferal to a SF agent.

They're really nice and my agent even paid for my first month premium for my life insurance because I didn't have enough cash on me.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedEx View Post
    And on top of that, you can stop insurance in the winter season and just put it on fire and theft protection for like $24/month which saves me over $340/month (as I pay $365/month for insurance).
    Are you sure about this? Premiums are seasonally rated, so if you cancel your Liability and Accident Benefits coverages (i.e. road coverages) over the winter then you should owe State Farm premium for the road coverages that you have already used over the summer but have not yet paid for. If you have done this in the past, then State Farm has been screwing up.

Read my sticky for more details:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91969
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Are you sure about this? Premiums are seasonally rated, so if you cancel your Liability and Accident Benefits coverages (i.e. road coverages) over the winter then you should owe State Farm premium for the road coverages that you have already used over the summer but have not yet paid for. If you have done this in the past, then State Farm has been screwing up.

Read my sticky for more details:

Yup I've ready your sticky during my research for insurance and has proven very helpful.

That's what my SF agent said to me so hopefully I don't get screwed when it comes to the winter months lol. I am hoping she knew what she was talking about.

= )

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedEx View Post
    Yup I've ready your sticky during my research for insurance and has proven very helpful.

That's what my SF agent said to me so hopefully I don't get screwed when it comes to the winter months lol. I am hoping she knew what she was talking about.

= )
    Unfortunately, I think your agent is wrong. I have spoken with a couple of State Farm agents who are well versed in motorcycle insurance and both have said that suspending road coverage and paying a reduced premium is not possible. In short you must pay for the coverage you receive.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

i lucked out, my first bike was a cbr250 and i was 19 with my GM2, and they couldn't insure it as a cbr250, so they insured it as a cb250, which is a cruiser i ended up paying 1500 a year, for 1 mil liability. so i got my a year of insurance under my belt for a pretty cheap price.

I'm outside of that age range, but I think my info is still good for comparison.

3200/year with Kingsway
    Liability only
    16 years old, M2
    1994 GS500E

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    I'm outside of that age range, but I think my info is still good for comparison.

3200/year with Kingsway
    Liability only
    16 years old, M2
    1994 GS500E
    Did you try Jevco as well? Also, try a smaller displacement bike (such as a Ninja 250).

Did you try Jevco as well? Also, try a smaller displacement bike (such as a Ninja 250).
    My broker told me that you need 1 year of insurance history to go with Jev.
    I've already got the bike, and I'll be paying for the insurance this week, as I haven't found anything cheaper. Avi quoted me that exact rate, as well as John R.
    Should I be expecting a lower rate?
    Last edited by spaceboy; 08-31-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Im with Jevco now and I believe it was either you gota be 21 OR have at least 1 year exp.

On a side note, anyone know if a 1995-1998 Honda CBR 600 F3 has a surcharge/ is considered a SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Red88 View Post
    Im with Jevco now and I believe it was either you gota be 21 OR have at least 1 year exp.

On a side note, anyone know if a 1995-1998 Honda CBR 600 F3 has a surcharge/ is considered a SS?
    I believe that Jevco considers anything made on or after 1994 as a surchargeable SS. You can ask Avi to be certain.

My broker told me that you need 1 year of insurance history to go with Jev.
    I've already got the bike, and I'll be paying for the insurance this week, as I haven't found anything cheaper. Avi quoted me that exact rate, as well as John R.
    Should I be expecting a lower rate?
    If Avi quoted you, then it will be accurate. You probably won't get much lower unless you consider a smaller displacement bike. Did you try quoting on a Ninja 250 just to see what the premium difference would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Red88 View Post
    Yes it carry's a surcharge. If you're with Jevco, the surcharge is 300% if you're over 30, 325% if you're under 30.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

If Avi quoted you, then it will be accurate. You probably won't get much lower unless you consider a smaller displacement bike. Did you try quoting on a Ninja 250 just to see what the premium difference would be?
    I tried for a ninja 250, and a drz400sm, they weren't really much lower.
    I have to wait anyways. I can't upgrade my license because the damn drivetest people are on strike.

I tried for a ninja 250, and a drz400sm, they weren't really much lower.
    I have to wait anyways. I can't upgrade my license because the damn drivetest people are on strike.
    Alright, at least it was worth a shot.

That really sucks about the DriveTest strike . . . I have a friend who's been waiting his life to get his G1, and now this crap happens the day before his 16th birthday

Alright, at least it was worth a shot.

That really sucks about the DriveTest strike . . . I have a friend who's been waiting his life to get his G1, and now this crap happens the day before his 16th birthday
    It really does. I actually bought my bike months ago, but couldn't get into a safety course, thus having to wait for insurance, and plates.
    I finally completed it and this happens. I actually drove by there a few days ago and the employees were playing games and sitting in lawn chairs

I actually drove by there a few days ago and the employees were playing games and sitting in lawn chairs
    So they were back to work then?

So they were back to work then?
    Guess so

i am 21 with M2 getting ready to buy a kawi 250r, and i got a quote b4 for around 1800 full coverage.. i was wondering if it is possible (since winter is comming). to have it covered for 3rd party for half a year..a nd full coverage for the 2nd half of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkimiao128 View Post
    i am 21 with M2 getting ready to buy a kawi 250r, and i got a quote b4 for around 1800 full coverage.. i was wondering if it is possible (since winter is comming). to have it covered for 3rd party for half a year..a nd full coverage for the 2nd half of the year?
    No. My thread is written specifically with State Farm in mind, but it applies to all insurers.

Does anyone have a policy with state farm and have less than 5 yrs exp? If you do, please let me know. I would like to know how strict they are with that rule.