Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion

Re: Between ages 18-25 insurance discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GIXsix View Post
    I am with state farm right now, and my agent said that the multi vehicle policy doesn't apply with motorcycles. I pay $3000/year for my 09 GSXR 600, and another $2112 for my car (1997 Integra type R). I am 23, GM2 license, no tickets.
    Sorry, I meant to say Multi-Line (aka Multi-Product) discount. When you have a car and a motorcycle insured with State Farm, the bike will be discounted about 37% (but not the car).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
    I'm sure at least one does then, La Capitale i think. When I called for a quote the agent asked me if they could have permission to check it.
    Did you get a quote on more than just an Auto/Bike?

If you were also quoting a Home/Condo/Renters policy then the credit check would be for rating the Home/Condo/Renters policy and not the Auto/Bike.

If you were only quoting an Auto/Bike, then the credit check might simply be for analysis purposes only, since it is against the law for the company to use the Credit Score when determining your Auto/Bike rate. I would ask the insurer why they need this information. If you suspect it is affecting your rate, I would report it to FSCO.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Do they exist here in Ontario?

I would never agree to that, ever. Every credit check you do hurts your credit score. The free towel they give you to sign up at the games aren't worth it...
    Not true, depends what kind, I was told it's more for when you have it checked for credit purposes that it affects it and even at that, very little.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Did you get a quote on more than just an Auto/Bike?

If you were also quoting a Home/Condo/Renters policy then the credit check would be for rating the Home/Condo/Renters policy and not the Auto/Bike.

If you were only quoting an Auto/Bike, then the credit check might simply be for analysis purposes only, since it is against the law for the company to use the Credit Score when determining your Auto/Bike rate. I would ask the insurer why they need this information. If you suspect it is affecting your rate, I would report it to FSCO.
    Motorcycle only, I didn't bother to ask because I thought it was typical until I just found out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSavant View Post
    This is going to make into someone's signature

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

18 years old, 09 250r, full coverage for $2055.
    Last year I was quoted at close to 2900!

btw, does anyone know if it's okay to just bring around a copy of the policy & registration, or do I always have to have the original with me?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    18 years old, 09 250r, full coverage for $2055.
    Last year I was quoted at close to 2900!

btw, does anyone know if it's okay to just bring around a copy of the policy & registration, or do I always have to have the original with me?

Thanks,
    I'm assuming you have a year on your M1, right? If not, tell me who insured you =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    I'm assuming you have a year on your M1, right? If not, tell me who insured you =)
    Yup...1 year + I'm with Kingsway/Jevco

Damn you =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Okay, I would like to ask all you great people for your feedback and clarification. To my understanding, SF would be a good choice if you are under 25 and have a SS. However, without bringing another vehicle (i.e. Car) with them I'm not finding a cheaper rate at all.
    Facts:
    I do live in Markham,
    I ride a 600,
    i'm under 25
    I would like to insure just the bike.
    All of my quotes have been 3000+ with a clean record, 5+ Driving experience, 3+ Riding experience.

Would it be safe to say SF is not cheaper for those under 25 riding a SS?
    Does anyone have SF insuring you with just a SS Motorcycle and your age is under 25 and you arn't paying more than $3000/year?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikt View Post
    Okay, I would like to ask all you great people for your feedback and clarification. To my understanding, SF would be a good choice if you are under 25 and have a SS. However, without bringing another vehicle (i.e. Car) with them I'm not finding a cheaper rate at all.
    Facts:
    I do live in Markham,
    I ride a 600,
    i'm under 25
    All of my quotes have been 3000+ with a clean record, 5+ Driving experience, 3+ Riding experience.

Does anyone have SF insuring you with just a SS Motorcycle and your age is under 25 and you arn't paying more than $3000/year?

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

And I think SF should write you as a stand-alone . . . try contacting an Agent recommended on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

And I think SF should write you as a stand-alone . . . try contacting an Agent recommended on the board.
    Thanks for the quick response Viffer! I see you just made that chart this morning!
    That chart is very helpful, and should be a sticky!

I have already contacted multiple SF agents already (its probably best I don't say who) and I have not been getting the rates I keep hearing I should be from SF.
    Bascially, I posted here to hopefully find someone who is currently insured with SF, and is under 25 with a SS and is receiving a reccomendable rate.

Thanks for the quick response Viffer! I see you just made that chart this morning!
    That chart is very helpful, and should be a sticky!

I have already contacted multiple SF agents already (its probably best I don't say who) and I have not been getting the rates I keep hearing I should be from SF.
    Bascially, I posted here to hopefully find someone who is currently insured with SF, and is under 25 with a SS and is receiving a reccomendable rate.
    It is a sticky now

The quote should be identical regardless of the agent; however, if the agents are messing something up or giving you the runaround, get a quote with one of the agents recommended on the board --- if you get a quote from them, I would be confident that it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    Damn you =)
    Ehh...all in due time, my man.

Facts:
    I do live in Markham,
    I ride a 600,
    i'm under 25

Sorry to tell you this but living in markham myself, $3000 is the rate for a clean record from statefarm if you dont have a car with them. If you wan't to ride a 600 anywhere in the GTA and are under 25 thats what you will have to pay.

if its helps anyone, i am 19 and just got a quote from td of 2080/year for an 09 ninja 250r

has fire/theft, but no coverage on my bike if i cause a collision (will have to check how much more it will cost to have this covered too)

only got my m1 this year and will soon be getting m2, quote was set for after i would be m2 licensed

Quote Originally Posted by superspud9 View Post
    if its helps anyone, i am 19 and just got a quote from td of 2080/year for an 09 ninja 250r

has fire/theft, but no coverage on my bike if i cause a collision (will have to check how much more it will cost to have this covered too)

only got my m1 this year and will soon be getting m2, quote was set for after i would be m2 licensed
    Collision would not be much on a 250. I'd STRONGLY recommend it, especially at your age because writing off a $4,500 bike is substantial when you're 19.

hey im 23 clean record whats the company you are with if you dont mind me asking. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superspud9 View Post

I'm 21 and just licensed too, and I'm paying ~$1600/yr from Jevco for a 250r.

Was that TD rate the best one you could get?

Quote Originally Posted by Splitfire View Post
    hey im 23 clean record whats the company you are with if you dont mind me asking. Thanks
    I'm will be with TD, moving to Statefarms in a year. (20 years old, 2009 Ninja 250)
    If you've had your G1 license for 5 years. Statefarms or Jevco.
    Last edited by Sushii; 04-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman13 View Post
    I'm 21 and just licensed too, and I'm paying ~$1600/yr from Jevco for a 250r.

Was that TD rate the best one you could get?
    TD was the best i could find so far. Jevco was like 3500/year for me because of the new 1 year policy thing since i only got my m1 this year, but if you just got licensed too then i don't know.. could be the age difference?

i will check about collision, if it isnt too much then as the guy mentioned, it would be good to have!

hopefully i will be getting a bike tonight

Last year: Ninja 250r 2008, 20 years old, East York area, 1st year riding. Jevco full coverage came to $1900

This Year: Honda Shadow 750 ACE 2003, 21 years old, East York, 1 year riding experience. Jevco full coverage $2150
    2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Current)
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Lime Green (SOLD!)