Replacement knee slider pucks? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement knee slider pucks?

Re: Replacement knee slider pucks?

Quote Originally Posted by baked View Post
    Those are rain sliders, thicker for less lean angle.
    Hes the only one using them thou?????? I guess he sucks in the rain....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Hes the only one using them thou?????? I guess he sucks in the rain....
    Nah, he just flat out sucks...
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

I do make them. They do allow you more confidence in the rain as your knee gets down sooner, but the bike angle stays more upright. As riders get more confidence in the rain the need for them is less. But I have several riders using them regionally and National. We're still in the design process but they do work.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    ....They do allow you more confidence in the rain as your knee gets down sooner, .......
    I don't get this at all. Does this mean I would have more confidence and ride better with 6" thick pucks?
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    I don't get this at all. Does this mean I would have more confidence and ride better with 6" thick pucks?
    Your knee is a feeler gauge. A thicker puck makes it easier to touch and know exactly where the ground is. You won't lean as far in the wet so it's harder to get the knee down, a thicker puck makes that easier. That make sense?

^^ I'm not sure.

You could argue that dragging your knee gives you one more input about how far over you are, but there's lots of other ways to tell, e.g. by sight. And, looking at pictures of the pros, I don't get the sense that they are trying to drag their knees at all - the opposite in fact. In most cases they have their legs tucked away when they very easily could touch.

It's almost as if the pucks are there in case they miscalculate and accidentally touch down, when they didn't really want to. So thicker pucks would be a bad thing.

p.s. I don't have a lot of track experience.
    Last edited by johnp; 09-01-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo

^^ I'm not sure.

You could argue that dragging your knee gives you one more input about how far over you are, but there's lots of other ways to tell, e.g. by sight. And, looking at pictures of the pros, I don't get the sense that they are trying to drag their knees at all - the opposite in fact. In most cases they have their legs tucked away when they very easily could touch.

It's almost as if the pucks are there in case they miscalculate and accidentally touch down, when they didn't really want to. So thicker pucks would be a bad thing.

I could look at pictures of pros all day, but thats not gonna help me on my bike...

^^ I'm not sure.

You could argue that dragging your knee gives you one more input about how far over you are, but there's lots of other ways to tell, e.g. by sight. And, looking at pictures of the pros, I don't get the sense that they are trying to drag their knees at all - the opposite in fact.
    Well, Couple years ago, Clint McBAin came to my trailer 30 minutes before the race. We basterdized four sets of sliders and then wood screwed them all together. Everyone was looking for them then.
    If you haven't dragged your knee,, dry or wet,, you can't appreciate the value. Oh ya, if your knee is on the ground you have a better chance of saving it. Pictures look cool after the fact.

^^ I'm not sure.

I don't know what pictures you were looking at but when i do an image search for rossi, spies and mladin about half of their riding pictures have knee down.

^^ I'm not sure.

You could argue that dragging your knee gives you one more input about how far over you are, but there's lots of other ways to tell, e.g. by sight. .
    I don't know about most but I have found myself in the situation where the thought process is something like this:

"... ok just a bit more lean angle and I can make it...***** is the inside of my leg pressed against the fairing already???... OH GOD don't look at the grass.. look where you want to go...."

in those situations If I didn't have my knee on the ground I wouldn't have known how much further over I could go.... I think... I don't have much track experience either.

Since I started riding track I find it almost impossible to go around a corner without sticking my knee out. I look like a complete hooligan riding on the street, but I just feel allot more at home with the knee out/down.

Johnny try not to use your knee as a pivot point, I know for myself when starting out i'd basicly put my knee down and then lean into it as a pivot point to get me around the corner, doing so ate up the pucks... It's fun... I know but not proper technique.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Since I started riding track I find it almost impossible to go around a corner without sticking my knee out. I look like a complete hooligan riding on the street, but I just feel allot more at home with the knee out/down.

Johnny try not to use your knee as a pivot point, I know for myself when starting out i'd basicly put my knee down and then lean into it as a pivot point to get me around the corner, doing so ate up the pucks... It's fun... I know but not proper technique.
    +1 I always seem to have to shift of the seat and stick the knee out, even for the most innocuous of turns.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

....., if your knee is on the ground you have a better chance of saving it. ......
    I'll buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    ... when i do an image search for rossi, spies and mladin about half of their riding pictures have knee down.
    That's my point. Knees are out about half the time and only some of the time are they touching.

Checkout sample pictures below (and any pictures of Rossi are suspect I know since he's extraterrestrial) the riders' knees are out but not always touching - altho easily could. Knees are out since the rider is hanging off (which is important) and that makes your knees naturally fall away from the bike. You don't at all get the sense that the riders are trying to make contact with the pavement - although I'm sure it happens all the time.

Last edited by johnp; 09-02-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fix first photo. sorry.

Well, given that those sliders were new at the start of that race, and they are the good Dainese ones,,,, they're pretty worn!
    You get off the bike as you enter the corner , this helps turn the bike and lower your centre of gravity. It also gets your knee closer to the ground. Once you have your knee on the ground you can start to get on the gas and you "will" feel the bike/tires working better. The faster you go the less your knee is on the ground, but it can touch in more places. I think that some of the value in using your knee at the MotoGP level is muted by traction control.
    Last edited by john bickle; 09-01-2009 at 07:17 PM.

I think most of the motogp riders use the thicker knee pucks in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I think most of the motogp riders use the thicker knee pucks in the rain?
    ya.
    there is no spoon

Keep in mind they are injection moulded sliders. Which need to be thicker because injection moulded sliders wear faster. Look at hand made sliders like Kinetic Reasearch[think they are gone],Klucky, or ours and they are not as thick because they are made from harder materials,flat stock. Anything that has multi colour or inlays is injection moulded. Also most of the generic, Alpenstars,Joe Rocket etc, have honeycoomb inside towards the back of the slider. This reduces the air pockets and helps the injection process,,, but also increases the rate at which the slider wears.
    Calabogie produces some really cool looking sliders. I'll see if I can get some pictures. Cheaper sliders come off looking like they are melting,which they are. Big trail of slider melting off the trailing edge.I've seen some trailing over 6 inches!
    The rain sliders don't wear as fast because of the water, but are usually a really soft material on purpose.

Keep in mind they are injection moulded sliders. Which need to be thicker because injection moulded sliders wear faster. Look at hand made sliders like Kinetic Reasearch[think they are gone],Klucky, or ours and they are not as thick because they are made from harder materials,flat stock. Anything that has multi colour or inlays is injection moulded. Also most of the generic, Alpenstars,Joe Rocket etc, have honeycoomb inside towards the back of the slider. This reduces the air pockets and helps the injection process,,, but also increases the rate at which the slider wears.
    Calabogie produces some really cool looking sliders. I'll see if I can get some pictures. Cheaper sliders come off looking like they are melting,which they are. Big trail of slider melting off the trailing edge.I've seen some trailing over 6 inches!
    The rain sliders don't wear as fast because of the water, but are usually a really soft material on purpose.
    Yours are thinner but like you said seem way more dense and harder then Dainese/Spyke sliders.....I just wish they would fit my damn suit!

Anyone wanna buy them off me for cheap cheap cheap? So I can put the money lost towards a set that will fit....PLEASE!

Cheaper sliders come off looking like they are melting,which they are. Big trail of slider melting off the trailing edge.I've seen some trailing over 6 inches!

LOL! I did this to my nexos, I now have the melted strip hanging from my rearview in the suv as it was my first time getting a knee down The other side was about 5" but I didnt want to get caught being snapping pics of my knees, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I hear ya on the slider placement! I noticed that when I actually started to drag my right knee, I was only wearing the bottom of the slider..And I have a funny style where I kinda drag my knee and leg/shin....So the suits leather was getting worn just above the slider under the knee....So I moved the slider up and out a little and now I am wearing it dead flat all around...Im still new so I am probably still dragging harder then I should, and my style will likely change aswell...

Im also dragging my damn boots!

Can you make me a set like these? LOL I was looking through some pics on here and I noticed this guy has huge sliders...

Ok, your boot problem.
    With a Spyke suit: Put suit on and pull up the legs. Put on your boots, and do up the armor, leaving the zip undone. Then, put the suit leg down, and zip it up. Then, zip up the boot outer. End product looks like this:

In that picture you can see also what damage can occur to hard armor with a bad slider (stock spyke worn down) and inproper placement. And, thats the second set of Carbon armor which Bickle replaced.

If you still have sloppy boot syndrome even after putting them on as described, you seriously need to grow some calf muscles.