00' r6 starting issues

Thread: 00' r6 starting issues

00' r6 starting issues

just picked up a cheap track bike and am trying to get it started. theres gas, theres air but it seems theres no power when i flick the switch. i tried to boost it to another bike through the battery but there still isnt a sign of any power. the rectifier is plugged in and all the grounds are bolted down, everything seems to be connected. i just put oil in it and i am attempting to start it in neutral with the kickstand up and the clutch in. i would try to bump start it but i am unable to run or jump. any hints would be greatly appreciated, what could it be?

Re: 00' r6 starting issues

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    just picked up a cheap track bike and am trying to get it started. theres gas, theres air but it seems theres no power when i flick the switch. i tried to boost it to another bike through the battery but there still isnt a sign of any power. the rectifier is plugged in and all the grounds are bolted down, everything seems to be connected. i just put oil in it and i am attempting to start it in neutral with the kickstand up and the clutch in. i would try to bump start it but i am unable to run or jump. any hints would be greatly appreciated, what could it be?

The main fuse has been removed?

Start with a trace from tha battey out.....see where the power is flowing to....throught the harnesses...

i think i'd be a simple thing, like a main fuse of plug that's not plugged in.

Any connectors recently disconnected?

Check fuses?

I just went through the same stuff last month on the same bike. serious pain in the ***.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    The main fuse has been removed?
    nope all the fuses are there, not sure if its blown though how do i check?

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    Any connectors recently disconnected?

Check fuses?

I just went through the same stuff last month on the same bike. serious pain in the ***.
    all the connectors are connected except for the lights.

i keep reading everywhere that if its not even turning on its the main fuse, how do i know if its blown? i am a serious noob when it comes to electrical stuff, i can rip a bike apart and put it back together no problems but when it comes to wires and whatnot it give me a headache.

so from what i understand if the main fuse is blown nothing else on the bike will work...? and the main fuse is a 30amp.

and can i get a fuse at canadian tire? man im a noob when it comes to electrical lol, oh well learning experience.

thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    nope all the fuses are there, not sure if its blown though how do i check?

all the connectors are connected except for the lights.

i keep reading everywhere that if its not even turning on its the main fuse, how do i know if its blown? i am a serious noob when it comes to electrical stuff, i can rip a bike apart and put it back together no problems but when it comes to wires and whatnot it give me a headache.

so from what i understand if the main fuse is blown nothing else on the bike will work...? and the main fuse is a 30amp.

and can i get a fuse at canadian tire? man im a noob when it comes to electrical lol, oh well learning experience.

thanks guys.
    Main fuse is the one on the starter relay. should be under your front seat. the starter relay is the round thing and it has a rectanglar 4 pin connector coming off of it.

there should be 2 30 amps fuses on there. one is a spare and one is actually connected.

fuses are the those flat clear plastic things with 2 prongs on them.
    a blown fuse will have the metal piece inside burnt out (disconnected).
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

90% of the time you can tell visually if they are blown... and in some cases, a blown fuse may appear good, but still be blown (quite rare in my experience). - you would need to test it with a multimeter to confirm.

you can get replacement fuses anywhere (gas station, dollar stores, Can tire, Walmart, Zellers etc...

Keep in mind, that if the fuse is blown, it likely blew for a reason, so be prepared for further diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    Main fuse is the one on the starter relay. should be under your front seat. the starter relay is the round thing and it has a rectanglar 4 pin connector coming off of it.

there should be 2 30 amps fuses on there. one is a spare and one is actually connected.

fuses are the those flat clear plastic things with 2 prongs on them.
    a blown fuse will have the metal piece inside burnt out (disconnected).

thank you thank you thank you!

switched the fuses and she started up nicely.

learn something new everyday...in this case a very simple lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Keep in mind, that if the fuse is blown, it likely blew for a reason, so be prepared for further diagnosis.
    honestly the fuse didnt look like it was broken in the middle, it looked the same as the spare i just switched them to see if there was a difference. when i took out the "broken" fuse it seemed really easy to take out so could it be it wasnt pushed all the way in?

thanks for your help too, appreciated.

Glad it worked out.

i usually get out the multimeter and do a continuity test on fuses......its quick and easy....easier than pulling them out and visually inspecting them etc etc.

ps. stick some dieletrical grease in the prongs...

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    i usually get out the multimeter and do a continuity test on fuses......its quick and easy....easier than pulling them out and visually inspecting them etc etc.

ps. stick some dieletrical grease in the prongs...

You can't effectively test a fuse without pulling it out.... otherwise you are measuring the continuity of the circuit, rather than the fuse - which will give you false readings in many cases.