My trip to Cabot Trail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip to Cabot Trail

My trip to Cabot Trail

Well I took a trip out to cabot trail and went through the states to get there. Here is the map of my route. I made a few slight changes as to my route as I travelled, but this is it more or less.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...59&ie=UTF8&z=9

My first stop was Ottawa, I was visiting a friend. I decided to hit up calabogie on the way.

I then headed south through the adirondacks. As soon as you cross the big metal bridge at the border the roads start getting nicer.

The adirondacks offere nice scenic roads carved through the forest with lots of nice sweepers.

New hampshire was definitly one of the highlights of my trip. The roads out there are AMAZING. I think the roads have more turns then straits.

Here is a video of a ride through New Hampshire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtrO0ts7ng

I went back up into canada through Maine into New Brunswick. I then road the highway to Cape Breton.

The cabot trail was great, it had many elevation changes and plently of twisties. Its so scenic out there its sometimes difficult to keep your eyes on the road. Here are two video I took while riding the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhCUtAZqiA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPCcl3jrbo

After the trail I did road the south-eastern route along the coast of Nova Scotia all the way to Yarmouth. This is an excellent route, very twisty and along the coast which give you some excellent views. The road is especially good about between halifax and yarmouth. very twisty and good condition.

I took the ferry from yarmouth across to Portland. If you ever end up in yarmnouth take a ride out to the lighthouse. The road to get to it is really fun and you get rewarded with a scenic view of the harbour at the end.

From Portland I rode back through the adirondacks and back up into Canada near Kingston. The roads I took through the park were not to twisty I found, except 28N <- excellent road with some really tight turns.

Anyways, If anyone is heading out there anytime soon and wants to know about any specific roads send me a pm. Otherwise the one recommendation I would give is to make sure you head through the states don't waste your time riding through quebec and new brunswick.

safe riding,

BIGFooT0

Re: My trip to Cabot Trail

Awesome trip!

I took a similar one in the End of July. Not as long as yours but I got to the Cabot trail and went through the Adirondacks.

Great vids...nice being back there again.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

nice vids and great route. How many days did you do this in?

Awesome trip!
    I just came back from the Adirondacks a week ago. Its amazing!

Did the Cape Breton Trip at the end of July. Went thru Quebec and New Brunswick. Won't do that again! Will go thru the US.

Thanks for the route. How many days did it take you?

Nice.
    Thank you.
    What sort of camera and camera mount did you use.
    Please and Thanks.

I've actually been thinking about doing this trip, might not happen this season though, but it looks amazing! I took a copy of your map, any boring stretches you would recommend altering? Any suggestions for food stops and motels? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
    I've actually been thinking about doing this trip, might not happen this season though, but it looks amazing! I took a copy of your map, any boring stretches you would recommend altering? Any suggestions for food stops and motels? Thanks!
    Don't try doing it in a week . I was down there last week and we had good luck with Best Westerns. For food we avoid the chain restaurants and did roadside diners and such.

How many days was your trip?
    "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity" -- Einstein

sadrik - Square One, Mississauga
    2000 Blue VFR800 (Europe)
    2003 Black CBR1100xx (North America)

Cool, looks like a good trip
    thanks for the info

I am heading there soon Sept 12-24
    anyone want to head up or back together?

well my stops are as follows:

2 nights in Ottawa (visiting a friend), No need to even hit ottawa on this trip.

1 night mount washington, I camped at a state park for only $20.00.

1 night st John, NB. Stayed at a friends house in the downtown core.

1 night baddeck on Cape breton. Stayed at a motel.

1 nght yarmouth ( this was a very very long day of driving, you may want to consider visiting Halifax, its an amazing city!)

1 night Portland ( the ferry from yarmouth leaves and 4 and gets to portland at 9pm. So it makes sense to stay and check out this city)

1 night near tupper lake, lake placid. I camped again for only $20.00

home.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Nice.
    Thank you.
    What sort of camera and camera mount did you use.
    Please and Thanks.

Well I mounted a really old 4 megapixel Kodak camera I had lying around. and I just mounted it with an L-bracket from home depot.

I'll prob look into picking up a camera that records at a higher def and has some stabilization.

BF

Quote Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
    On the way back through the adirondacks I took a 28N at North Creek. Make sure you take that.

Also, You might want to consider taking 17 near tupper lake, I never did. But I think its a good road.

Some parts of the scenic route along the eastern coast (marine drive) can get very bumpy. might want to detour if your on a SS. Its a tradeoff. Some parts are excellent, some are not, but the scenery is amazing.

On my way from portland into the adirondacks I followed -4- instead of -202-. Its a little shorter, but I think either drive will be just as fun.

Some other helpful tips,

There is a very nice motorcycle store in gorham, near portland. I had a technical issue and found them very helpful. They sell and service honda, kawi, zuk, can-am, and yamaha!

Occasionally you have to pass through tolls, which are a pain in the *** on a bike. You might want to consider a pass you can get that lets you just ride through the gate. (similar to ETR)

The ferry from yarmouth the portland is very expensive, but when I called I asked for a discounted rate and they hooked me up with a non-refundable ticket for about half price of the regular fare.

Make sure you stop at the Nova scotia tourism building on the way into the province. They can book pretty much anything on the island for you (including motels/hotels). They will even shop around for the lowest rate. If you keep their number you can call them from wherever you are and they will get something for you! brilliant service!

I hope this helps some.

BF.

Here is another short video of the lighthouse at yarmouth. this is actually on the way back from the lighthouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNabLUQaqj4

BF.

That definitely helps, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFooT0 View Post
    Well I mounted a really old 4 megapixel Kodak camera I had lying around. and I just mounted it with an L-bracket from home depot.

I'll prob look into picking up a camera that records at a higher def and has some stabilization.

BF
    Wow,i am impressed with that set up still looks pretty good.
    Thank you.

Wow,i am impressed with that set up still looks pretty good.
    Thank you.
    ya, haha. The camera isn't even mounted behind a windscreen! Plus it only records at 352x280 or something. lol.

BF.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFooT0 View Post
    ya, haha. The camera isn't even mounted behind a windscreen! Plus it only records at 352x280 or something. lol.

BF.
    Cooolllll.

I am looking at this one
    With a better price than that though.
    Must be waterproof as i will use it for ski ing.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...1&catid=23053#

Cooolllll.

I am looking at this one
    With a better price than that though.
    Must be waterproof as i will use it for ski ing.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...1&catid=23053#
    thats cool it has a mic jack, you can run it to you helmet or near you exhaust depending on what you want to do. 70mins record time is good and waterproof! sounds like the perfect one!

BF.

How come you avoided QC?

One of these days I'll have to get out to Cabot Trail again, be nice to do it motorized.
    x