Temporary motorcycle insurance

Thread: Temporary motorcycle insurance

Temporary motorcycle insurance

Any insurance agents on this board that know of a company that can offer temporary motorcycle insurance for as short as a week?

Re: Temporary motorcycle insurance

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    Any insurance agents on this board that know of a company that can offer temporary motorcycle insurance for as short as a week?
    This was asked a couple of weeks ago. The answer is "no". Due to the cost associated with setting up and closing a policy, insurers are not interested in such a short policy length. This is why most companies have a "minimum retained premium".
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Thank you.

If it is a rental, some gold and platinum credit cards include insurance as a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    If it is a rental, some gold and platinum credit cards include insurance as a benefit.
    Insurance for Liability and Accident Benefits, or just insurance for physical damages to the vehicle (such as the optional coverages that they always to to upsell)? My guess is the latter.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

You used to be able to get a temp license/permit from the Ministry to move your car from one place to another.. not sure if they do this for Bikes or what your situation is, but might be something to check...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markdh View Post
    You used to be able to get a temp license/permit from the Ministry to move your car from one place to another.. not sure if they do this for Bikes or what your situation is, but might be something to check...

Mark
    A temporary license/permit has absolutely nothing to do with insuring the vehicle so that it can be legally driven. The MTO does not offer any sort of temporary insurance coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    This was asked a couple of weeks ago. The answer is "no". Due to the cost associated with setting up and closing a policy, insurers are not interested in such a short policy length. This is why most companies have a "minimum retained premium".
    what are the costs associated with setting up and closing a policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    it's a lot of paper man. paper costs $$$$

How about for a car policy? What would be considered the minimum amount of time to insure a vehicle?

For example... camper van. If you want to just insure a camper van (like a VW or something), can you insure it for the summer and cancel the insurance in the fall when you store it?

I've never been charged for canceling an insurance policy before, but I have never canceled before 6 months into the policy.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

it's funny how other provinces do it like bc
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    it's funny how other provinces do it like bc
    there are more trees there, paper costs less

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    I don't know specifically, and the amount would vary by insurer.

1. The time taken by the broker/agent to quote you.
    2. Someone must ensure that the policy information is correctly entered into the insurer's database
    3. An underwriter would have to review the risk to ensure it is acceptable and nothing is suspicious
    4. The insurer would have to send out a policy package (both postage fees and stationary fees)
    5. If the risk meets the criteria of the insurer but is not one that the insurer would want to bear on their own, they would have to cede the risk to the risk-sharing pool (involving more labour).
    6. When the policyholder cancels the policy, someone would have to terminate the policy in the information system. If the risk was ceded to the Risk-Sharing Pool, then further correspondance would be required.

As you can see, I don't think any company would want to take care of the above for very short-term policy. Not only would the administrative costs likely outweigh the premium received, but the company would also be on the line for any claims incurred during the brief time that your policy is active. Statistically, short-term business performs much more poorly than long-term business as well. It just doesn't make good business sense . . . it's like trying to rent a Honda Civic for one hour at 1/24'th of the daily rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie View Post
    How about for a car policy? What would be considered the minimum amount of time to insure a vehicle?

For example... camper van. If you want to just insure a camper van (like a VW or something), can you insure it for the summer and cancel the insurance in the fall when you store it?

I've never been charged for canceling an insurance policy before, but I have never canceled before 6 months into the policy.

I cancel PL/PD on my convertible in the winter as it isn't driven but since there is another car on the policy the policy isn't actually cancelled, just amended. The savings are worth it.

Bikes are different because they typically aren't winter driven and therefore winter PL/PD was never a factor in the original premium. Since the winter PL/PD isn't a factor in the original premium it isn't a factor in the winter cancellation.