Toronto to Thunder Bay

Thread: Toronto to Thunder Bay

Toronto to Thunder Bay

Recommendation please on good roads

Re: Toronto to Thunder Bay

do a search on 'lake superior'. there's some good info out there.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

the Trans Canada Hwy is brilliant from Sault Ste Marie through Terrace Bay....aka on the way to Thunder Bay

I did this run in my Morgan in 2001 and it was freakin brilliant....took the advise of a Canadian PGA regular who told me the following

1) plan to stop in Wawa overnight
    2) leave westward towards Thunder Bay early in the morning

I left Wawa at 5am and the next 2 hours (to Terrace Bay) was IMO the best damn run I've ever done in the car....long sweepers that let you take the corner's apex with no traffic anywhere that early....sun rising at your back so you're not blinded....lake Superior on your left....as you get closer to Terrace Bay there's lots of white knuckle cliff corners etc

absolutely worth the drive just to do that 2 hour stint

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wawa...245483&2v=CITY

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    the Trans Canada Hwy is brilliant from Sault Ste Marie through Terrace Bay....aka on the way to Thunder Bay

I did this run in my Morgan in 2001 and it was freakin brilliant....took the advise of a Canadian PGA regular who told me the following

1) plan to stop in Wawa overnight
    2) leave westward towards Thunder Bay early in the morning

I left Wawa at 5am and the next 2 hours (to Terrace Bay) was IMO the best damn run I've ever done in the car....long sweepers that let you take the corner's apex with no traffic anywhere that early....sun rising at your back so you're not blinded....lake Superior on your left....as you get closer to Terrace Bay there's lots of white knuckle cliff corners etc

absolutely worth the drive just to do that 2 hour stint

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wawa...245483&2v=CITY

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the info,I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
    Do you think I should book the accommodation at Wawa in advance?

Hwy 17 (Trans Canada) Is a great road. Lots to see and some nice sweepers. I've done it a few times in my car, but have yet to get the bike on it.

The only thing i would add would be to watch out on your riding times. Lots of animal activity after dark or early in the morning.

Also, although there are a fair amount of gas stations along the way, most of them are ma-paw run type places and tend to close early (8-9pm). As long as you plan your trip accordingly, it's not an issue.

Have a great ride, you'll love it.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Torren View Post
    Hwy 17 (Trans Canada) Is a great road. Lots to see and some nice sweepers. I've done it a few times in my car, but have yet to get the bike on it.

The only thing i would add would be to watch out on your riding times. Lots of animal activity after dark or early in the morning.

Also, although there are a fair amount of gas stations along the way, most of them are ma-paw run type places and tend to close early (8-9pm). As long as you plan your trip accordingly, it's not an issue.

Have a great ride, you'll love it.

Thank you for the tips, last thing I want is to walk the route with my 550 lb bike...

Quote Originally Posted by 4242 View Post
    Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the info,I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
    Do you think I should book the accommodation at Wawa in advance?
    I didn't book in advance....and it was August

wouldn't hurt checking I guess....although most of the little motels were mom-and-pop kinda deals if memory serves

lmao....I can't believe I remembered the name of the place I stayed...let alone that they have a website http://www.algomamotel.com/

it was like $50 for the night....park in front of your room....and the best part was the beer store right next door....it's no Hilton....but the perfect kinda place for keeping an eye on your ride imo

If you don't mind my asking, when are you planning to go? I've been hoping to run up to Fort Francis this summer.

Having done the trip many times, I am going to make a couple of suggestions. North York to Wawa is closer to 2/3 of the distance to Thunder Bay. The distance is easily doable, (I regularly get there from Kitchener when going fishing in Dryden), but why not stay in Sault Saint Marie? It is almost exactly 1/2 way. It is a much bigger town with many more hotels and restaurants.
    That being said, Wawa has many options to stay and eat. I have never booked lodging there and have never had trouble getting a room. Fuel is readily available on the route. That being said, I tend to fill up as I get close to 1/3 of a tank on my VFR, (I can get 350km on a tank),
    The ride is great. Nothing technical but many nice views and sweeping turns. The ride starts to get good just past SSM.

Enjoy yourself.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    I didn't book in advance....and it was August

wouldn't hurt checking I guess....although most of the little motels were mom-and-pop kinda deals if memory serves

lmao....I can't believe I remembered the name of the place I stayed...let alone that they have a website http://www.algomamotel.com/

it was like $50 for the night....park in front of your room....and the best part was the beer store right next door....it's no Hilton....but the perfect kinda place for keeping an eye on your ride imo
    Very usful information...the fact that you remembered means you really did enjoy it..

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, when are you planning to go? I've been hoping to run up to Fort Francis this summer.
    I'm leaving on Friday at around 2 pm and will be back either Sun or Monday

Quote Originally Posted by scmiata1990 View Post
    Having done the trip many times, I am going to make a couple of suggestions. North York to Wawa is closer to 2/3 of the distance to Thunder Bay. The distance is easily doable, (I regularly get there from Kitchener when going fishing in Dryden), but why not stay in Sault Saint Marie? It is almost exactly 1/2 way. It is a much bigger town with many more hotels and restaurants.
    That being said, Wawa has many options to stay and eat. I have never booked lodging there and have never had trouble getting a room. Fuel is readily available on the route. That being said, I tend to fill up as I get close to 1/3 of a tank on my VFR, (I can get 350km on a tank),
    The ride is great. Nothing technical but many nice views and sweeping turns. The ride starts to get good just past SSM.

Enjoy yourself.

Danny
    I might do just that Danny, I can ride 700km in one day no problem, I guess all depands on the weather as this year was a bit off... my tank dont carry more then 350km as well.

I once drove straight to Thunder Bay (actually 2 hours north of Thunder Bay) I remember having to be really cautious at dusk as all the moose come out of the swamps /wet areas to avoid mosquitos /bugs. I drove right past one just standing in the middle of the road. Keep your eyes peeled for these beautiful but massive animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercupprincess View Post
    I once drove straight to Thunder Bay (actually 2 hours north of Thunder Bay) I remember having to be really cautious at dusk as all the moose come out of the swamps /wet areas to avoid mosquitos /bugs. I drove right past one just standing in the middle of the road. Keep your eyes peeled for these beautiful but massive animals.

They are massive I know

how was the trip? see any moose?
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    how was the trip? see any moose?
    The trip was awesome, cold thought especially in the morning, meat locals on bikes if that counts as a moose...

Just came back from a week trip to Arkansas I'm so sad it's over I could have continued for ever...