Motomaster Formula 1 oil almost killed my bike... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motomaster Formula 1 oil almost killed my bike...

Re: Motomaster Formula 1 oil almost killed my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    Meh, i bought the 10w-40 so unless it was mislabeled, i bought the right stuff. It has a picture of a motorcycle on the front and says motorcycle. I even re-re-rechecked today when i went down to where i keep all my tools and stuff.

I guess its possible it was purely clutch slippage but it doesnt explain why it would happen using the correct oil. But what does clutch slippage sound like? Ive never had it happen, i know how to feel it when using a clutch, but not at all what it would sound like.. Quite possible it was slippage and not overheating.

Oh and btw changing oil is the canadian tire parking lot is easy... Ive done a lot more major road side repairs... I just borrowed a jug from the auto service dudes, cut it in half, drained the oil into it, and then left it out back with the oil recycling. Took less than 10 minutes.

Oh and for everyone taking it so literally, i was exagerating a little when i said it almost killed my bike... Im still never buying it again.
    Clutch slippage is hard to diagnose, but the easiest is the highway ride, bike will not get up to speed, but RPM is going up, and HEAT is going up.

Did your RPM go up while riding 90km trying to get to 100km, but did not go faster?

That's the dead give away.
    2008 KLR650, blue 21 aka Thumper.
    2010 Can-Am RT aka Bomur.

clutch slip...by a gtam member...i don't see him anymore...

but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkH2g6VqFkk

Oh, thats pretty much exactly what it sounded like... I didnt notice if the bike was slowing down at all because everytime it happened i immediately grabbed the clutch and shut the bike off, cus i thought it was overheating.

it's not the oil

Quote Originally Posted by d00dz View Post
    There is no way that this Motomaster oil would do this to your bike. It's just Canadian Tires house brand, which is a relabeled major brand oil product.

Besides there oils are JASO and/or API labeled.
    Your right.

I have used this oil before as well many times and have had no issues whatsoever.

Maybe the can he bought had like some type of contaminate in it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frackz View Post
    Your right.

I have used this oil before as well many times and have had no issues whatsoever.

Maybe the can he bought had like some type of contaminate in it or something.
    or maybe his clutch is slipping, for some reason he thought the engine was overheating and for another reason blamed that on the 1 litre of oil.

I recommend that you get some cheap Rotella dino stuf diesel lube, 15w40 at CT do an oil change and try it.

If it works it a cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by KLR-Andy View Post
    I recommend that you get some cheap Rotella dino stuf diesel lube, 15w40 at CT do an oil change and try it.

If it works it a cheap fix.
    This is what i did and it seems to have fixed the issue. Next change im gonna go back to amsoil though i think, i had good luck with that so far.

So whether it was overheating or clutch slippage, doesnt really matter. To the guy above, i thought it was overheating because it sounded like a 2 stroke does when it starts to overheat, and also the crankcase was HOT, too hot to touch (normally its hot but not hot enough to isntantly burn you). As well, ive never had a clutch slip so bad to actually be able to hear it. Sorry if you work for motomaster or something and ive offended you, but if you had put cheap oil in your bike, it starts acting up, you change out the oil and it goes back to normal, what would you blame??

So to everyone thats taking this super personally, while i admit it didnt almost literally destroy my engine, it still did something and im not going to be using it again. Im sure it works perfectly well for some people, i run cheap oil in my cars all the time because it works fine, but in my particular bike, motomaster oil didnt work very well at all.

I would stick to Rotella for at least 5000km, let the oils soak/impregnate the clutch, from Dino to Synthetic is quick, the other way is slow.

You may also want to do a city drive with lots of stop and go, to heat the clutch and do another oil replacement to get rid of old oil traces.

I've used Motomaster motorcycle 10-40 many times without any issues and I ride an air-cooled bike. Yes, the motor can get very hot in summer weather but that's normal and the engine is built to handle it. I've since then switched to Motul 5100 because my motor does actually run better with it but the CT stuff is still decent oil for the price.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by KLR-Andy View Post
    I would stick to Rotella for at least 5000km, let the oils soak/impregnate the clutch, from Dino to Synthetic is quick, the other way is slow.

You may also want to do a city drive with lots of stop and go, to heat the clutch and do another oil replacement to get rid of old oil traces.
    Thats a good idea, i appreciate the advice (im not being sarcastic). I have still 2.5 L of the rotella left so maybe after running this week ill put some fresh stuff in and then ride around on that for a bit before i decide to go back to amsoil or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    I've used Motomaster motorcycle 10-40 many times without any issues and I ride an air-cooled bike. Yes, the motor can get very hot in summer weather but that's normal and the engine is built to handle it. I've since then switched to Motul 5100 because my motor does actually run better with it but the CT stuff is still decent oil for the price.
    It's not a case of bad Motormaster oil, or bad bikes.

Manufactures of bike use different metal compounds on the surface of the clutch plates.
    Oil companies use different additives for their oil.

It is that some combinations of oil and clutches surfaces do not work well.
    KLRs (and most Kawis, some other brands also are sensitive to certain molucular slip additives, and will break the surface tension of the clutch.

Rotella has none of those additives. Neither does Amsoil and some Redline oils
    Motormaster uses Esso/Exxon additives, some of those can hinder some clutches. Mobil 1 is a great oil, have been using it in my cars for years, but if I would put it in the KLR, I doubt if it makes it out of the driveway.

All Oils and gasoline start the same, Oil companies add their own little secret additives and it can make a bike a great running bike or a badly running bike.

You can use what you want, if it works in your bike that is great, I stick with Rotella, Amsoil and redline as I know they have no additives added to interfere with clutches.
    Last edited by KLR-Andy; 08-17-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Yeah lots of guys run Rotella.