My ride next week.

Thread: My ride next week.

My ride next week.

I have the next two weeks off, and just want to get out on the road by myself for a bit. Here's where I plan to go, starting Sunday:

Toronto > Tobermory: Not really sure how to get there, probably the 26 through collingwood. Then Grey Rd 26 from Owen Sound to Wiarton, then 18 to Lions head and up the 6 to Tobermory.

Tobermory > Massey: Take the ferry over, Then 542 > 540 around Manitoulin, and 6 > 17 to massey

Massey > Wawa: The 17 looks like a nice ride.

Wawa > Timmins: The 101 for Bears, Moose, and Bugs.. sweet. Note to self: make sure bike is in good condition and has lots of gas. seriously though, I'm not going to get eaten by bears or mauled by a moose am I?

Timmins > North Bay: 101 > 11

Works out to around 5 hours riding a day, which should be fairly easy and give me lots of time for pics, and checking out some local shops and food. If things have gone well up to then, I'll take the 17 around to bancroft and back home the next day, otherwise it's down the 11 > 60 > 35 > 7 to get back.

Any issues with these routes I should know about? Roads I shouldn't miss? Suggestions for places to eat or things to see?

Re: My ride next week.

Sounds Awesome! Let us know how it goes.

When in Tobermory, you have to have the Georgian Bay Whitefish. 1pc meal at Shipwreck Lee's will fill you up for $10.95, so don't bother with the all you can eat! Crowsnest is amazing as well. They put it on a bun, grilled or baked, lemon or Cajun or plain. mmmmmm. Makes me want to go back just thinking about it!

Have a fun trip, and ride safe!

From Toronto head up airport road.. go across pretty river road.. wander up through creemore and then go west across cty 4 to cty 13, head north through the beaver valley.. you'll go through eugenia and come out at thornbury.. west on 26 through meaford.. when you get to owen sound head north on cty 1, great curvy road that takes you along waters edge.. ends up at wiarton and then north to tobermory.. cty roads.. not a lot of traffic and the most fun ones in the area.

Another way of getting up to Owen Sound towards Tobermory is good 'ol Hwy 6. Catch it in Guelph and take it up straight going through great little towns like Fergus, Arthur, Mount Forest, Durham, etc.

There are usually a ton of bikes on Hwy 6 as well.

Good stuff, thank you.

Now, as long as I can avoid hitting a moose or being eaten by bears, should be nice and relaxing.

I've done this ride twice it was great. Places to see.... You have to go to Gore Bay, great swimming and there's a road there i belive its Scotland R.d that goes up the side of the mountain in the bay, great scenery buy watch for deer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=14

And Bridal Veil Falls is great too have a good refreshing shower.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3&ie=UTF8&z=16

Make sure you book your fairy ride in advance or you might not get on, they have massive lineups. And watch for deer on the Island its packed, and yes Timmins is definatly bear counrty i've seen a few dart across the road up there. Ride safe and have sun.

there's a place in Wawa, actually on the highway, not in town by the goose, called the white fang which was the cheapest and cleanest motel on my entire trip, and they seem cool about bikes, there is also a kick arse place to eat just across the highway....the soo to thunder bay is great ride if you have the time....have fun, gas up when you can...the deer like dusk and dawn, the moose mostly come out at night.
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Thanks.

Incase anyone does a search and comes upon this later..

The Wawa locals told me the 101 is all torn up. Somewhere past chapleau I believe, they said there's about 30 minutes of torn up gravel roads.

So I went up to nipigong on the 17, and I'm glad I did.. It was just an amazing ride, there are several empty beaches from the soo up to nipigong that you can stop at and go for a swim too. The 11 was awesome at first, huge cliffs to one side, and lakes to the other. Then the burnout, for miles around all the big trees are stripped, and you can still see the black on many of them. After awhile it gets really boring though, from roughly beardmore to cochrane and beyond, plenty of long, flat, straight roads, with nothing to look at.

longlac to hearst is empty, literally.. The longlac locals kept telling me there was no gas, and literally nothing, and boy do they mean the nothing part, lol, a little over 200 km of it. There is however a place you can get gas about 60-65 km outside of hearst. Look for the outfitters, a few cabins up on a hill, that has gas. The sign is hard to miss as it's pretty much the first sign of life the whole way.

I could be wrong, but as I recall: Soo > wawa no gas. At least, for the last half or so. Make sure you have gas before getting to lake superior provincial park, I didn't see anything from there to wawa. Shreiber > Nipigong, no gas either iirc.

I rode up to Manitoulin Island with my buddy earlier in the summer.. Definitely planning on doing it again! I think you need more than a day to get the full experience, apparently there were quite a few sights we missed out on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for scenic hang out spots or anywhere worth stopping on the way? Thanks!

If you decide to come back down towards Bancroft I recommend heading over to Gooderham and down the 507 into Buckhorn. Great road. But make sure you map out a route to get home from there that avoids the 115.... so boring!

Have a great trip!