Careless Driving On the Exit Ramp - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Careless Driving On the Exit Ramp

Re: Careless Driving On the Exit Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I disagree. Get representation. While operation without due care and attention is one of the more difficult charges to uphold, the consequences of losing are unconscionable.

You also need to somehow get measurements and pictures of the area from your point of view when the officer first stepped into view. It can go a long way to show that you behaved in a manner that the average, prudent driver would. That's the magic phrase when fighting such a ticket.
    that's the reason I ALWAYS have a camera running....
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

If he doesn't have radar proof of your speed, then how can he prove the charge?
    squeal explaination, dirt on the pads. mine squeal at 10 km/hr
    there is a good chance the cop won't even show up to court on this one.
    good luck

randy

Dude, look up the ride program and their provisions. I always thought that RIDE programs were not allowed to give you tickets other then DUI tickets.

I know it sounds weird but under some provision in the law or the charter it states that the RIDE program is only allowed to ticket for DUI because otherwise it would infringe on our charter rights. Police must have just cause to stop you and the RIDE program get around it by checking for drinking. I thought until a few years ago they were only allowed to do RIDE programs at certain times of year etc..

I have no idea were I heard this but I beleive to be true. There are a lot of cops if this forum as well as people who have tons of legal knowledge, maybe some of them can confirm or deny this.

Blamraddle, are you sure it was a ride program? because Ive seen the cops set up at the on ramp and off ramp at Green Lane and the 404 checking for speeders and seatbelts. I,m sure they are checking for DUIs at the same time.
    In other words it doesnt need to be a Ride Program.
    If it was me I would fight it in court on my own without a lawyer.

I sure hope this ticket gets tossed as a farce. Otherwise I have real issue with emergency breaking now being considered operating without due care and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    Dude, look up the ride program and their provisions. I always thought that RIDE programs were not allowed to give you tickets other then DUI tickets.

I know it sounds weird but under some provision in the law or the charter it states that the RIDE program is only allowed to ticket for DUI because otherwise it would infringe on our charter rights. Police must have just cause to stop you and the RIDE program get around it by checking for drinking. I thought until a few years ago they were only allowed to do RIDE programs at certain times of year etc..

I have no idea were I heard this but I beleive to be true. There are a lot of cops if this forum as well as people who have tons of legal knowledge, maybe some of them can confirm or deny this.
    \

I highly doubt there not allowed to charge other infractions, they are after all on duty police officers.

I was under the impression that you cant get charged for careless with respect to an emergency stop. In my m2 class they said you can even do an stopy as long as you don't crash

Quote Originally Posted by adamcbrrr View Post
    \

I highly doubt there not allowed to charge other infractions, they are after all on duty police officers.
    I'm thinking the same thing.

I was under the impression that they just weren't allowed to turn it into a sort of checkpoint where they I.D. everyone that goes through. Other than that, if they see a problem they can address it.

There are two good write ups on another forum I found, hope its okay to post those here, if not then mods ,please delete.

First one is the legality of RIDE programs
    http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic1181.html
    first one is write up by a guy called lawman

The other one is a good write up on how to have evidence dissmissed if ticket in a ride program. same author

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic1194.html
    fourth post down.

ramp limits are 100km/hr...

but on that 16th and 404 exit, i don't know how u can do 100...

its a 270 degree turn...

just say u know that exit very well and did not expect someone to stand in the middle of the exit and therefore you had to brake harder then usual. they don't have a speed reading on you.

I don't see how its possible for this ticket to stick.

Do a little offense and state the obvious that putting a RIDE program on that off-ramp posed a serious safety risk. That off-ramp is dangerous on any given day already let alone someone reducing your stopping distance ON A CURVE

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyminidiscman View Post
    ramp limits are 100km/hr...
    I was just gonna ask what the limit on ramps is. I know there is the yellow sign sometimes indicating a speed but I always heard the yellow signs were basically caution/recommendation signs and not actually the limits. I take ramps at more than double whatever the yellow signs say all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandwer View Post
    Do a little offense and state the obvious that putting a RIDE program on that off-ramp posed a serious safety risk. That off-ramp is dangerous on any given day already let alone someone reducing your stopping distance ON A CURVE
    Yeah you always hear things in the media about how dangerous a traffic stop is for a cop and how they're so close to getting run over all the time. Maybe if they didn't set these things up in areas where people can't see them they wouldn't have as many problems. Same with the cops that walk out into traffic to indicate to you to pull over. Obviously jumping in front of a speeding car and pointing at the curb is not a very safe choice of action but it happens all the time. Stupid cops are endangering themselves and the public.

If you're sober enough to think to go around the ride program then you're probably not that drunk anyway.

Locking up your brakes is careless driving? So if someone cuts me off, runs into the road, or I notice an obstacle a little late, I am driving carelessly?

Okay, I'm going to chime in.

I was charged with several offences recently and it's in the same area except I was heading north onto the 404 from Hwy 7 at 1AM. Two "people" jumped out in front of me while I came up the ramp in the merging lane. I say "people" because they were not wearing any police uniforms that I could identify and there was no police car present. I nearly avoided them as one jumped out from the right and as I went around them another jumped out from the left. I was shocked to say the least. After that I blended into traffic and sat there for about 10 minutes stopped and actually turned off my bike as it was getting hot and I was was sitting there with my feet on the ground.

Anyway I get home and get arrested 4 house away from home. I was charged with STUNTING, DANGEROUS DRIVING X2, AND FLEE FROM POLICE!!!!

How do you like that? I had to pay $680 to get my bike back, lost a week work due to no licence and now have to spend another $6k to defend myself against BS CRIMINAL CHARGES.....

I feel for you... fight it to the end, this is an outrage.
    Last edited by Crowdpleaser; 08-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    don't just ride... slide.

Yeah the one time this happened to me I was just like, "Wtf is this guy doing walking into the street with all this traffic?" and I changed lanes to avoid him and then he stopped right in front of me and I think, "Great, this guy's trying to get me to run over him." but then when I got close enough I realized it was a cop motioning for me to pull over. Is it really so hard to just wait for them to pass and then pull them over with a cruiser? Much safer.

Reminder ... If you get charged under absurd circumstances and subsequently the charge gets dismissed, file lawsuits ... BIG lawsuits are the only way to coax the police to behave properly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowdpleaser View Post
    Okay, I'm going to chime in.
    Wow man, I think i just threw up in my mouth a lil

a little tiny part of my recent run in with the law "all of his guns were stored in UNLOCKED cases and when we went into his closet his 800LB gun safe was ALREADY OPEN and his 40mm M203 grenade launcher was sitting on the floor"... it's your word against theirs, what can you do? ... "here is a photo we took when we arrived..." yeah, OK, lol. All the gun cases sitting on my bed, locks missing and combo locks open unsafe storage x 9 ... sure guys, just keep piling them on...

/rant off

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Wow man, I think i just threw up in my mouth a lil

a little tiny part of my recent run in with the law "all of his guns were stored in UNLOCKED cases and when we went into his closet his 800LB gun safe was ALREADY OPEN and his 40mm M203 grenade launcher was sitting on the floor"... it's your word against theirs, what can you do? ... "here is a photo we took when we arrived..." yeah, OK, lol. All the gun cases sitting on my bed, locks missing and combo locks open unsafe storage x 9 ... sure guys, just keep piling them on...

/rant off

-Jamie M.
    Not enough guns. That was your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Not enough guns. That was your problem.
    I had quite a few...

Quote Originally Posted by RCMP
    the RCMP seized: - 21 military assault rifles - one handgun - two rifles - one shotgun - one 40mm Military Grenade Launcher - more than 12 000 rounds of ammunition - 50 prohibited high capacity magazines
    -Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

my sister had an incident years ago going through a ride program...they waved her on to the next police officer as there were 3 checking on cars at the same time...the officer in front of her to the left is motioning her forward, looking right at her...all of a sudden there is a loud banging noise from the back of her car, a police officer was using a flashlight to hit her car to slow down thinking that she was running the ride program...my friends think i can get mad, but my sister can be a freak of nature...she ripped into that police officer like there was no tomorrow...all traffic had stopped at this point, the police officer that motioned her forward saw everything, was trying to calm my sister down, it was her brand new car...yup, this did not go down well in deed...that popo that hit her car felt about 1 inch tall after my sister was done with her...lol...

It's a ride program, they don't even have the right to ask you for any ID, let alone anything else. Fight it, if the Officer is fool enough to show up, the Judge will chew him out for being an imbecile and wasting the courts time. In all likelihood the prosecution will toss it before it even goes before the judge.
    Last edited by Nimbus; 08-14-2009 at 03:30 PM.