Are Dead People Bad for the Environment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Dead People Bad for the Environment

Question Are Dead People Bad for the Environment

I was reading the post:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=95988

How much energy and pollution do we spend on a dead person?

Why do we need to create more landfill with caskets that last for 100's of years to house a dead body?

Why does a dead person need their own plot of land and the maintenance that comes with it?

Is it not much cheaper to burn our dead and scatter the ashes or give them a Viking burial?

Discuss
    Don't take life too seriously ... nobody gets out alive anyway

Re: Are Dead People Bad for the Environment

Simple answer, respect for the dead.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-Dogg View Post
    I was reading the post:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=95988

How much energy and pollution do we spend on a dead person?

Why do we need to create more landfill with caskets that last for 100's of years to house a dead body?

Why does a dead person need their own plot of land and the maintenance that comes with it?

Is it not much cheaper to burn our dead and scatter the ashes or give them a Viking burial?

Discuss
    Ya you're right.
    While we're at it lets ban bikes, and cars. After all we could all just take public transit.
    Then lets stop wasting electricity on useless things such as tvs, computers etc...we dont really need any of that..

i would say we are bad for the environment but on different reasons then yours. i dont think cemetery's are bad if anything they add some green to some cities. its a tradition that people get a grave there are other traditions all over the world. personally i want to be burned but some people want a grave. i dont think a funeral Procession is in anyway polluting more then if there wasnt a funeral. just think if all those cars were not there they probably would have drove to work or somewhere else anyways. also our bodies are not like the garbage thats in a landfill, there is no toxins that we admit over the years unlike plastics and rubber. most caskets are also made of wood which wont harm the environment so i dont see how dead people are bad for the environment...its the people who are still alive that are bad for the planet, but one day this little rock will get sick of our BS and be gone with all of us.

The amount of land used for cemeteries is a gross waste of land. Not that big of a deal in Canada, as we have lots of land, but still... the land that is used could be much better utilized.

Ideally people should be cremated and the ashes should be spread and used as fertilizer.

Respect has nothing to do with it... how does putting someone's body in a box and letting the worms have at it show respect?

I have never visited a single one of my dead relative's grave - I remember them through photos, video, and writing... not some stone stuck in the ground somewhere.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie View Post
    Respect has nothing to do with it... how does putting someone's body in a box and letting the worms have at it show respect?
    Signs of respect can be a matter of convention in a specific culture. That which doesn't seem like paying respect to you, may seem so for others.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

The amount of land used for cemeteries is a gross waste of land. Not that big of a deal in Canada, as we have lots of land, but still... the land that is used could be much better utilized.

Ideally people should be cremated and the ashes should be spread and used as fertilizer.

I have never visited a single one of my dead relative's grave - I remember them through photos, video, and writing... not some stone stuck in the ground somewhere.
    where you lead, i shall follow!
    1995 F3 - Sold
    Gods dont kill people. People with Gods kill people.
    – David Viaen

Canada has a lot of land, but not all of it usable. Most of the best farm land in Canada can be seen from the CN Tower, unfortunately its all been built over now.

Cemeteries are a waste of useful land
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

how would the land be utilized better...with more condos? strip malls? cemeteries are still parks anyone can walk through one.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    how would the land be utilized better...with more condos? strip malls? cemeteries are still parks anyone can walk through one.
    you know people who take random walks through cemeteries??
    1995 F3 - Sold
    – David Viaen

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    Anything that was actually used would be more useful.... like farmland, or yeah, places to live, or even parks where kids and dogs could run and play. In a cemetery all is verboten 'out of respect'. Cemeteries are not like parks.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

no i am just saying you could. cemeteries are a business too, just like anything else, its not free to have a grave. death is a great business to get into.

Anything that was actually used would be more useful.... like farmland, or yeah, places to live, or even parks where kids and dogs could run and play. .
    farmland? who are you kidding when is the last time you have seen a farm in a city? there is enough places to live in the gta, and there is a park in every area of toronto plus a huge lake frontage.

i will also add your talking about dead people being bad for the environment but how would a condo be any better? more cars, more people = more pollution.
    Last edited by zacm7; 08-12-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Banned

Anything that was actually used would be more useful.... like farmland, or yeah, places to live, or even parks where kids and dogs could run and play. In a cemetery all is verboten 'out of respect'. Cemeteries are not like parks.
    99% of land in canada isnt being used for anything. i dont think we need to worry about eliminating cemetaries for more space

If cemeteries never existed, then no doubt the city would be where the cemetery is now while the fringes of the city might extend a little less far therefore leaving more land available for farm land.

By the way, there is farmland within Mississauga City limits. Just look on Hurontario South of Square One.

Quote Originally Posted by KRFDPSSTI View Post
    99% of land in canada isnt being used for anything. i dont think we need to worry about eliminating cemetaries for more space
    lol...so true

we should sell some of it....
    1995 F3 - Sold
    – David Viaen

Quote Originally Posted by KRFDPSSTI View Post
    But it is a shame when the best land in the country... like the land near Perth County, is used by many acres just to hold rotten bones. Maybe we should build the next huge cemetery on Holland Marsh... since we have lots of land, eh?

Might as well celebrate death rather than the life that the land could give.

But it is a shame when the best land in the country... like the land near Perth County, is used by many acres just to hold rotten bones. Maybe we should build the next huge cemetery on Holland Marsh... since we have lots of land, eh?

Do you actually believe that where any cemeteries now reside they would be farmland had they not been used for that purpose?

Banned

lol
    http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...iculture1996/1

Maybe we should start planting grass while we're at it hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    Do you actually believe that where any cemeteries now reside they would be farmland had they not been used for that purpose?
    I guess I need to explain it once again since some are too dense.

The land where cemeteries now lie most likely would not be farmland, they would no doubt be houses or condos or malls or even parks... but that would mean that same amount of land might not be used on the fringes of the city - you know, expansion would not have been necessary since more land would have been available.