why is the track 'expensive'?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why is the track 'expensive'?

why is the track 'expensive'?

I've tried the crack pipe and I need another fix...unfortunately the green is spread a bit thin at the moment. I almost wish I didn't try the track because now I'm hooked...

From reading posts from seasoned track riders, I keep reading posts along the lines of "get ready for the most expensive hobby!" Why is that? Is it because of the cost of going through sets of tires after tires? upgrades to the bike to improve on performance/reduce time and better riding gear? the cost from crashing and repairing? tuning? or really all of the above?

Re: why is the track 'expensive'?

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I've tried the crack pipe and I need another fix...unfortunately the green is spread a bit thin at the moment. I almost wish I didn't try the track because now I'm hooked...

From reading posts from seasoned track riders, I keep reading posts along the lines of "get ready for the most expensive hobby!" Why is that? Is it because of the cost of going through sets of tires after tires? upgrades to the bike to improve on performance/reduce time and better riding gear? the cost from crashing and repairing? tuning? or really all of the above?
    ^bold^
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

all of the above, plus entry fees.

And the faster you go, the more expensive it can get...that's why I'm slow, yes, that's my excuse
    *~Maggie~*

When you get to the point of affording track riding then take up racing. When racing becomes affordable try running the show Its a slippery slope my friend but what a rush

I think it really depends on what you expect out of your track experience. I enjoy just going and riding around at fairly high speed and getting a bit of experience about what the bike does at the limit of traction. I'm not trying to beat anyone or any time..I don't really have any idea what my times are really. I could be out there on any bike just having some fun. I don't fall down generally, I don't put go-fast parts on my bike, I don't wear out tires particularly quickly. I did a day on my bt-016's and I think I could do 2 more. Are they heat-cycled and getting slippery?? Maybe..but I'm not racing..so if they slide a bit earlier, meh, I'll just ride it out and go a bit slower. No biggie.

If you want to go fast and beat people or the clock, then it starts getting expensive.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I spent $800 for an enclosed 5by8 trailer,$5000 for Nissan Pathfinder to pull the trailer,$350 tire warmers $300 generator $150 canopy $20 chair $50 for a cooler $40 sleeping bag, $30 air mattress, $30 for 12volt air compressor $60 for gas can, $4000 for a track bike, $300 to get the forks rebuilt all I need is rear elka or ohlins shock and I am tracking for life. I spent alot more but its worth every penny to me.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I've been keeping track of ever penny spent on trackdays and racing this year on a spread sheet. bike costs, transportion to and from the tracks, food, etc ... I'll post it at the end of the season.. But the right now the average is $468 per day.

I've also recorded how many KM's I've ridden.... You REALLY don't want to know how that looks

That doesn't include the cost of buying a bike, truck or trailer.

If I factored in that, then it would get really scary.

Racing, Though is actually cheaper than track days on a cost per day basis.

who cares whats it costs, its a **** load more fun than riding a motorcycle on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    From reading posts from seasoned track riders, I keep reading posts along the lines of "get ready for the most expensive hobby!"
    I can see how track riding can get pricey but at least its cheaper than tracking your car! Im thankful my days of $1500 tire changes are behind me.

until u start using three sets a day

All of the above plus what every one else said, plus don't forget the cost of getting to and from the track, especially if you start going to different tracks that are 6, 8, 20 hours away trucks that haul trailers drink a lot. Bikes drink too for that matter. The cost of feeding yourself. For some, the cost of missed work.

bike, parts and go fast goodies, gear, spare parts and spear gear, prep work, tools to do the work (or pay some one to do it).. and then you crash and it just starts all over again...
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

It more expensive then stunting I'll tell you that much, and I havent even crashed yet...
    The initial setup is the killer IMO, as everyone has already said...You need a bike, a trailer, truck......Those are the big ones...And it depends on what you want to ride, but my track bike as it stands has about $30,000 invested into it, not including any labor...Although you could pick up a cheap track bike for about $4000 I think....

Then you have the consumables like gas for truck and bike, tires, oil changes for the bike, food, etc etc

Might aswell start racing...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    and then you crash and it just starts all over again...
    Exactly. Replacing a set of forks and tripples every round is getting old very fast.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Exactly. Replacing a set of forks and tripples every round is getting old very fast.
    Woah you wad it up that bad every time you go out? Id give it up quick in that case...

I've been pretty lucky with my get-offs so far. Two lowsides with the 10R have cost me a total of $80 to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I've been pretty lucky with my get-offs so far. Two lowsides with the 10R have cost me a total of $80 to fix.
    Yeah, but isn't missing work to go for surgery expensive?
    *~Maggie~*

No, i'm salary so i just used sick days.

Oh, the sling cost me $22. So it's about $100 total. ahaha

Track is a lot cheaper then a 50 over racing/stunting ticket/court etc.

You will know if you really love it if you do what ever it takes to keep going back!

Try having you and your wife do it..... double everything but the gas to get there
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KR1 View Post
    Track is a lot cheaper then a 50 over racing/stunting ticket/court etc.

You will know if you really love it if you do what ever it takes to keep going back!

Try having you and your wife do it..... double everything but the gas to get there
    She could use your take-offs...