GSX-R R1 Throttle Mod - Do you have it? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSX-R R1 Throttle Mod - Do you have it?

Re: GSX-R R1 Throttle Mod - Do you have it?

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    I have done it on my 07 750. The throttle is definitely a shorter throw.

If you do the mod, be careful going WFO in first gear the first few times, until you get a feel for it.

Did you do the R1 or R6? Details! Need details!
    Mines K8 750

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    Can i do the zip tie mod on my r1?
    probably, go on an R1 forum and ask around

and yeah its easy you take your throttle tube off, increase the diameter of the part where your cables sit by gluing on a zip tie and put it back together.

Do they have an anti-R1 throttle mod? I want to have have to twist my throttle all the way around to get 1/4 throttle, 4 turns for WOT.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

I did the R6 throttle on my 08 600, required some die grinding but only took about 15 mins. I was told the 08-09's dont need any modding for the R1 throttle but I wanted to go with the R6.

This mod is a great bang for your buck especially for the 600, I find I dont need to re-position my throttle hand in turns anymore and everyday riding is just more comfortable. The only downside of the R6 apposed to the R1 is the R6 throttle will leave about a 1/8 of an inch gap between the bar end and the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    Do they have an anti-R1 throttle mod? I want to have have to twist my throttle all the way around to get 1/4 throttle, 4 turns for WOT.

Sure... do the exact same mod, but on the carb/throttle body side of the cables.... It's called the sportbike:noobie friendly conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    Did you do the R1 or R6? Details! Need details!
    Mines K8 750
    The R1 tube. There are not really many details... you just buy the tube, it has a grip already on it. Exchange with stock tube and adjust your cable.

The r6 tube, i think i remember, requires modification as someone has mentioned.

from gixxer.com http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213953

Here are the definitive details about the throttle mods.
    I couldn’t find accurate info in all the threads about R1, R6 so investigated myself.
    6 months ago I ordered an R1 throttle, didn’t notice a huge difference but a little.
    Now have just fitted R6 throttle and there is a huge difference right away. A lot easier to get WOT without moving hand up or creeping.

Facts:

2007 GSXR 600.
    Part: Standard.
    Colour: Black.
    Diameter of cable pulley: 33.5mm.
    Turn: 1/4.

Mods: None.

2004 R1.
    Part: 4YR-26240-02. Could be different for other countries.
    Colour: Black.
    Diameter of cable pulley: 36.5mm.
    Turn: 1/5.

Mods:

The ring/washer that comes on the throttle can either be cut off/left outside the housing or trimmed down in diameter so is flush with the part that cables wrap around. Other than that it is plug and play. I trimmed the ring down and had it inside the housing, this made a snug fit without any sideways movement.

2006 R6.
    Part: 2CO-26240-00. This number is what was on the yamaha part label on the bag the tube came in. Some people in the USA are saying their # is 2C0-26240-00-00 (extra 00).

Colour: White.
    Diameter of cable pulley: 40.5mm.
    Turn: 1/6.

Mods:

For this throttle to fit inside the housing, part of the lower housing needs to be removed with a dremel. Once this is done it fits perfectly. This part also comes with a ring/washer, it does not need to be modified because of the change to the housing. Again I left the ring inside the housing for a closer fit and to stop any side to side movement.

Note:

With both throttles I have had no problems and no binding or sticking, snaps back like the original part. The amount of plastic I removed from the housing was about 4 or 5 mm but just keep test fitting the throttle until it fits without touching, dont worry about the screw hole as we you wont remove enough plastic to get near the screw. The years above are what I asked for when ordering, I’m sure other years will be the same but I don’t know what ones. Ordered from official Yamaha dealer here in New Zealand. Both R1 and R6 throttles are slightly smaller in length than the GSXR, this left a small gap at the bar end.

Procedure for removal (for pics see other thread http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...t=throttle+mod )

Fully loosen the throttle cable adjuster to get as much slack as you can.
    Remove bolts holding each half of the housing together.
    Split open housing.
    Turn throttle to wide open and remove closing cable (closest if sitting on bike), then you can easily remove the opening cable.
    Now just remove bar end and slide off throttle tube.

You can dremel the housing while on the bike but to ensure I didn’t scratch or screw anything up I removed it completely so I could work on it. To do this:

Remove screw and bracket holding throttle cables into lower housing. Take cables out of housing.
    Unscrew white plastic covering starter button, then remove screw holding button in place.
    Snip/cut cable tie holding wires to housing and its free.

Reverse order to put back together.

Whole job took 15 mins start to finish.
    See photos below.
    Enjoy.

I have a 2006 1000, this is a "must do" modification. Stock, I had to re position my hand in an uncomfortable way to get in position to twist the throttle from zero to wide open and even then after turning to full throttle my wrist was bent down in another opposite uncomfortable position. Waaaay too much wrist turning to go fast. I wonder if this was done by the factory as a sort of newbie governor.

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

most bikes come with a bit of throttle freeplay and it's now gone, but damn, this sounds like going from Flintlock musket to full-auto
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    and yeah its easy you take your throttle tube off, increase the diameter of the part where your cables sit by gluing on a zip tie and put it back together.
    What type of glue did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    What type of glue did you use?
    I used some epoxy I got from the dollar store - no ****

this is a very common mod for GSXR owners everyone has been doing it for years.

stock gsxr = 1/4 turn for full throttle
    R1 tube = 1/5 turn for full throttle
    R6 tube = 1/6 turn for full throttle

I too feel our GSXRs aren't quite responsive enough, however the R6 mod for some un-experienced people can be quite dangerous. R6 is recommended more for experienced users and TRACK USE. The 2006 R6 tube also requires you to dremel the inside of throttle housing.

The R1 tubing will fit stock without any mods I believe, and will be less sensitive then the R6. It's basically a happy medium. Probably more recommended for street use.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    most bikes come with a bit of throttle freeplay and it's now gone, but damn, this sounds like going from Flintlock musket to full-auto

Might wanna adjust that back to stock