Advice for drilling/safety wiring - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for drilling/safety wiring

Re: Advice for drilling/safety wiring

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Likely they were drill bits made of Cobalt steel. A good step up from the garbage HSS (high speed steel) bits available at Crappy Tire, HD, and the usual places.
    CT sells cobalt drill bits as well.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Nope. No safety wire needed, more for my own protection really. With that in mind I should get to do the whole bike but i'll do what you suggest as the essentials and wheel axle nuts and caliper nuts if I find the extra time before Jennings. Thanks.
    From the guys who beat you to a pulp if you lose a drain plug and close the track for hours ?

IMO, Drain Plug, Oil Filler cap, Oil Filter, Caliper mounting and Axle pinch bolts Axle nuts.

Also a clamp or safety wire on the the brake reservoir tube if it's the type that just presses over the barb. going for front brakes coming into a corner at 250kph and the lever just pulls straight to the bar really sucks ,, Don't Ask how I know.

Even for a track day that doesn't require safety wiring, Going over everything and putting a blob of silicone of the fastener isn't a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Also a clamp or safety wire on the the brake reservoir tube if it's the type that just presses over the barb. going for front brakes coming into a corner at 250kph and the lever just pulls straight to the bar really sucks ,, Don't Ask how I know.
    Where did you manage to get your R6 up to 250kph???

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Where did you manage to get your R6 up to 250kph???
    It was my old 1100 Gixxer with the little blue bottle

It was my old 1100 Gixxer with the little blue bottle
    Which he's since moved on from and now has an r6 and a little blue pill
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    CT sells cobalt drill bits as well.
    not to hi jack the thread, but for someone who describes himself as a novice "virgin", you look pretty comfortable at speed in your profile pic. nice !

how'd you do at soar in 09?
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    not to hi jack the thread, but for someone who describes himself as a novice "virgin", you look pretty comfortable at speed in your profile pic. nice !

how'd you do at soar in 09?
    Oh ya, I was looking pretty comfortable until I tucked the front and lowsided into the wall/hay bails. I didn't race in 2009, hence the VIRGIN status. I'm just hoping the next status update isn't a FAIL... and I'm ready to get my *** handed to me in Superbike and Open Sprint. In fact, I can't wait!!!

From the guys who beat you to a pulp if you lose a drain plug and close the track for hours?

IMO, Drain Plug, Oil Filler cap, Oil Filter, Caliper mounting and Axle pinch bolts Axle nuts.

Even for a track day that doesn't require safety wiring, Going over everything and putting a blob of silicone of the fastener isn't a bad idea.
    You could be right!! I didn't consider them!!! I seriously am running out of time so have ordered a predrilled billet oil filler cap and drain plug and I think the K & N oil filter already has a pre drilled hole. I'll take a drill with me and hopefully get some more done trackside in between sessions. There's power pitside available.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

You could be right!! I didn't consider them!!! I seriously am running out of time so have ordered a predrilled billet oil filler cap and drain plug and I think the K & N oil filter already has a pre drilled hole. I'll take a drill with me and hopefully get some more done trackside in between sessions. There's power pitside available.
    I can give you a hand at Jennings if need be. I'll have a drill, wire and pliers with me ... might cost you some of those mushroom quiches though!
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

PLEASE DO NOT PREP YOUR BIKE TRACKSIDE?

it takes a couple hours to drill the ENTIRE bike.

it is foolish and dangerous to prep your bike at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

I drilled and wired 1/2 of someones bike at the track, they showed up with only half the required parts drilled and wired...Heck I even fixed his tranny later in the weekend after someone from Pro6 told him he needed a complete tear down n rebuild. Only cost him a beer too!

I wouldnt recommend it, but its very doable.....At least try to get as much done at home as you can......If you do need help track side at a SOAR event come see me, or ask someone else for help. Lots of nice people willing to help

Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    And Then

Love that one, Right up there with the best pics of 2009
    Maggie Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I drilled and wired 1/2 of someones bike at the track, they showed up with only half the required parts drilled and wired...Heck I even fixed his tranny later in the weekend after someone from Pro6 told him he needed a complete tear down n rebuild. Only cost him a beer too!

I wouldnt recommend it, but its very doable.....At least try to get as much done at home as you can......If you do need help track side at a SOAR event come see me, or ask someone else for help. Lots of nice people willing to help
    Please don't assume everyone is an idiot. I cannot see the issue of removing a bolt and drilling a hole in the head, assuming you have the correct equipment for removal, drilling and replacement, necessary skill level, you find a safe place to set up AND you clean up after yourself. The fact I'm even considering doing it at the track is out of consideration to the other riders safety and track time should I have a problem, and for my own safety.

Thanks for the offer of help sircastic & Johnny. I wont be doing it unless I think it's necessary. Hopefully I can get a lot done on the Friday afternoon. I just can't see where else I'l get the time though. I have 1 weekend with the bike before we leave and I need to get fresh rubber onto the bike and a full set of track bodywork prepped, primed and painted. I'll deffo have the oil parts dealt with beforehand though.

I didn't make any assumptions.

I made a recommendation based on LOTS of experience.

I've seen what happens when people prep their bikes at the track.

People get excited and don't want to miss out on track time etc.

why not spend the time wiring instead of prepping bodywork?

Bodywork is cosmetic and meaningless.

And Then

Love that one, Right up there with the best pics of 2009
    Maggie Rocks
    I saw this crash live. Quite entertaining... once we knew he was OK. He is a true Rookie. Some trackdays under his belt but no racing. Watch out for him in 2010!
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KR1 View Post
    I saw this crash live. Quite entertaining... once we knew he was OK. He is a true Rookie. Some trackdays under his belt but no racing. Watch out for him drop kicking other bikes in 2010!
    Corrected!
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Well I do appreciate it as a recommendation and as a recommendation I get where you're coming from. My bike is stored at a friends factory and I'm not sure i'll be able to get access to it the free weekend I have. I will be making every effort to get there during the week to do stuff. But there are only so many days in the week and hours when his factory is open. Working trackside is the last resort trust me. I'd much rather be resting. But the odd bolt here and there isn't going to overtax me and is, as Johnny said, 'doable'. Like I said, the oil filler, drain plug and filter will be done beforehand, and anything else I can get to.

tbh I'm struggling for the time to get the new rubber on, and that's more concern than bodywork and safety wiring.

IVE TRIED DRILLING A CALIPER BOLT.....DAMN ITS A "pain" OTHER THEN THE CALIPER BOLTS , THE OTHER BOLTS SEEM SOFT ENOUGH FOR MY CHEAPER BITS TO GO THROUGH.
    Last edited by Paul; 01-19-2010 at 04:53 PM.

S.O.A.R. #691

Quote Originally Posted by hotshotmikeyboy View Post
    IVE TRIED DRILLING A CALIPER BOLT.....DAMN ITS A " pain" OTHER THEN THE CALIPER BOLTS , THE OTHER BOLTS SEEM SOFT ENOUGH FOR MY CHEAPER BITS TO GO THROUGH.
    Are you using a cutting fluid?
    Last edited by Paul; 01-19-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Just to add one more point, is it can vary by bike, im safety wiring a 08 CBR1000RR now, and some of the coolant houses are tucked hehind the header, which would make it extremely time consuming to do at the track

prepping my GSXR was easy, this damn RR is taking me way more time