Funeral Procession: Who has the R.O.W? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Funeral Procession: Who has the R.O.W?

Re: Funeral Procession: Who has the R.O.W?

Quote Originally Posted by Declan Gunn View Post
    come on, that excuse is always used. if an officer is around a laws are being broken, they should jump in.

If every cop had that attitude: "Ok, I won't pull this guy over for speeding in case I find someone dealing crack around the corner", then everyone would get away.
    It's not that you don't wanna pull someone over cause something worse is happening...you don't wanna stop someone for breaking the law in a minor way for respect for the living or the dead.
    You don't give an old lady crossing the street a ticket cause she takes too long cause she's old and now the light is red and she is technically J-walking.
    You don't pull someone over for doing something like running a light with a funeral Procession....or going 10-20km/h over for trying to get their wife to the hospital.

Maybe you...the Cop, should hop on ahead...make the way safe and smooth for everyone and lead the way.

The police are there to Serve....they need to remember that and stop being such jerks.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Banned

If Yetti was in a Car, in the middle of a Funeral, Yetti would stop at a red light.

Especially If his Kids were in the car..

Can you imagine if Someone was coming to opposite direction, going 80 kph, and all of a sudden he see YOU in the middle of an intersection, on a red light.

not a cool way to get you or your family killed.

Declan is 100% right.. being late to a wedding is tough, being late to a funeral ? who cares!.

now, If Yetti was NOT in the funeral, and saw a number of cars, doing the red light, Yetti would just wait until its safe to pass.

But He would never weave through one.

I always pull over for the procession out of respect for the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercupprincess View Post
    One thing is for sure we will all die.

I think its important to stop when possible and let the cars through - police will not always be present as this is something some families cannot afford or it requires a minimum of vechicles.

Also waiting allows all the cars to stay and arrive together as most people have no idea how to get to the final resting place ie. cemetary.

I wait, and one day hope people will wait for me.

+1 on this.
    1983 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1984 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1985 GoldWing

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercupprincess View Post
    One thing is for sure we will all die.

I think its important to stop when possible and let the cars through - police will not always be present as this is something some families cannot afford or it requires a minimum of vechicles.

Also waiting allows all the cars to stay and arrive together as most people have no idea how to get to the final resting place ie. cemetary.

I wait, and one day hope people will wait for me.
    Personally at that point I think I'll be beyond caring what people do.

Quote Originally Posted by baked View Post
    I always pull over for the procession out of respect for the dead.
    Also respect for the family.

Threads like this really bring out the self centered people.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    It's not that you don't wanna pull someone over cause something worse is happening...you don't wanna stop someone for breaking the law in a minor way for respect for the living or the dead.
    You don't give an old lady crossing the street a ticket cause she takes too long cause she's old and now the light is red and she is technically J-walking.
    You don't pull someone over for doing something like running a light with a funeral Procession....or going 10-20km/h over for trying to get their wife to the hospital.

Maybe you...the Cop, should hop on ahead...make the way safe and smooth for everyone and lead the way.

The police are there to Serve....they need to remember that and stop being such jerks.
    Amen to that and believe it or not, some actually do see it that way, it would just seem, not enough.

I was always taught to have respect. I pull over and stop. I always try to put myself in other peoples shoes. Anything intentional other than that is pretty low IMO.
    FREE YOURSELF FROM SOCIETY'S CONVENTIONAL THINKING, DON'T BE A SHEEP

A red light means stop.
    A stop sign means stop.

Funeral or not, you have to obey the street signs.

Like a previous poster said, if you are going through an intersection on a green, but some funeral has been passing through and they are going through on a red light.. and you hit them... Guess who is at fault?

Funeral processions don't run red lights as much as they are a long train of vehicles and the light will change before the entire group of vehicles have passed.

If you crash into one of the middle or end cars of a funeral procession going through a red....I'd be wondering what the courts would be asking of your eye sight.

Here is a good example though:

What if you are in a funeral procession and you are near the end.
    The cars in the lead go through a green...it goes Yellow then red....you continue on through and the Red light cameras get you.

Can you fight the ticket and win?
    ...and if the answer is yes...can I drive around with a Funeral tag on my car and run red lights all day?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Cutting in on a funeral procession may mean FA for someone not involved. But for a family directly involved, it may be a huge thing, already being under a lot of stress etc.

i stopped reading on p. 3

but..

i dunno... sometimes i think it's an annoying rule..
    that i'm also sure the person who passed thought was annoying half the time too

i mean, when i'm dead.. i really don't think i'll CARE if there are people late for things in their life, and want to pass by my (i'm sure) THOUSAND car parade all following me to my final spot..

let's be honest. i just don't get the 'respect' that's shown by stopping for (sometimes) A LOOTTT of cars.. i don't know about you, but i've seen processions that have over 40 cars, all driving around 40-50 km/h, and each car/van has about 2-3 ppl in it

... i agree that maybe THEY should have some respect, and at least try and cut down the parade (if they expect us to wait the WHOLE time) to as short as possible, and move at MIN. speed within the speed limit.

& 4ways for all the cars is a really good idea.

...imo it's just kind of a silly ritual; that's all.
    Sup; I'm Chels.

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait --
    Some say it's better, but I say it ain't.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints;
    the Sinners are much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by 01cbr View Post
    Also respect for the family.

Threads like this really bring out the self centered people.
    come on... the self-centered goes both ways.

So if I want to be on time for an appointment and pass a FP..... that means I'm self centered.

But if a family wants to run a red light with the rest of their still living family in the same car and expect everyone else on the road to let them by and not honk on them/make way for them no matter what..... that's not?

funeral or no funeral - red means stop
    Last edited by Declan Gunn; 08-10-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

So if I want to be on time for an appointment and pass a FP..... that means I'm self centered.

But if a family wants to run a red light with the rest of their still living family in the same car and expect everyone else on the road to let them by and not honk on them/make way for them no matter what..... that's not?

How often do you see them run red lights?

Have you read what you just wrote? YOU pass and honk because you don't want to give them a second of your time.
    And how does it go both ways? They don't expect you to stop.......its just what courteous people do, and has been for a long time.

In a lot of instances these people are having a really bad day. Everyone goes on about how they wont care when they are dead....but what about your families??

But you cant expect self centered people to look at it from a different point of view can you.

Do you think the same about speed limit signs???

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    Technically as a sign of respect you should have killed your motor, put down your kickstand...stood on your seat, removed your helmet and held it over your heart.
    Now this could probably get you a stunning charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Do you think the same about speed limit signs???
    yeah i do - come riding with me, you'll be horribly bored
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

I actually went to a funeral today and there was no funeral procession. The viewing and funeral was all in one building so i thought it was a really good idea. I always wonder why there were funeral home and separate home for the cremation/burial. Sort of like a one stop shop. This was in Oakville near 403 and Dundas.

I always stop/slow down for a funeral procession due to respect. I hate to be the person who slows someone down and they miss the chance to pay their last respects or miss the cremation/burial.
    Last edited by gAbRoO; 08-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

are you serious? I've seen a funeral procession go 50km/h on Erin Mills Parkway and NOBODY (even in the passing lanes) wanted to pass it.

Just because somebody passed away doesn't mean EVERYONE on the road has to give way to an umpteenth car caravan. I don't have to show my respect by letting them delay me in my things to do/people to see lifestyle.

I'm in real estate/paralegal..... I have deadlines (no pun intended)

I've passed one before and have been honked for it, ridiculous if you ask me. As a sign of respect, I'll pass it within the legal speed limit. And they shouldn't block everyone or expect people to put a hold on where they're going.

I won't cut or interrupt the procession, but if I have an outside lane I'll use it to overtake. I'm pretty sure that isn't a sin.
    I'm with Declan on this. If I gotta get somewhere, I'm going through. I'm sorry to say that a dead person I never knew doesn't somehow warrant respect for me.

I'll try to be as courteous as I can, but if I have to be somewhere...I'm gonna go. I'm not gonna be late for a job interview out of respect for someone I don't know.
    In the grand scheme of things, I don't expect the dead person to care about me either.

If it makes me a horrible person to be rational, then I don't mind being labeled that. Just like being called a "nerd" is a very small price to pay for being knowledgeable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    I don't mind being labeled that. Just like being called a "nerd" is a very small price to pay for being knowledgeable.

hmmm.. Yetti sees your screen name...

Nerd!