neon lights

Thread: neon lights

neon lights

I saw a guy on a big cruiser a few nights ago that had the ground effects blue neon lights.He was going north on the 404 near midnight and I thought that was cool and he was highly visible.
    It looked to me like it is a good way to be seen at night and far more safer.
    Is this legal here in Ontario?

Re: neon lights

http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer...ID=653&Page=13

QUESTION:

Hello,
    i was wondering is it illegal or legal to have neon lights under your car or inside but does it have to be a certain colour?as long as it is not a distraction? i was just wondering if you could answer that for me it be great
    THANK YOU

Reply:

Yes it is illegal to have certain colours of neon lights in and around your car. For example, one cannot have any red light visible to the front, whether it is emitting from the interior or exterior of the car. The same could be said for the a blue light, unless of course your vehicle is a snowplow, which to date I have not seen a snow plow with neon lights in or under the vehicle.

Green lights are also illegal as they are for volunteer fire fighters.
    Any other lights on the interior that may cause a reflection, and in the officer's opinion obscure the interior, or cause the driver's visibility to be obscured, are also illegal.

White lights are illegal to the rear unless they are connected to the reverse gear. A car can only have four white lights to the front of which they have to meet Transport Canada and the HTA illumination standards, (neon lights don't cut it).
    Last edited by Lfsabch; 08-08-2009 at 08:14 PM.

i was thinking to do red but you reaaaaalllllyyyy have to make sure that theres no reflecting light forward that the cops can visually see, or they will give you a ticket. theres been a huge decline in cars that have them, in oshawa atleast, cops pulled everyone i know over atleast once lol

they are 100% LEGAL (any colour) as long as you don't see the bulb. If you have them tucked in under the car and all you see is a glow on the ground then there's nothing wrong with that.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    they are 100% LEGAL (any colour) as long as you don't see the bulb. If you have them tucked in under the car and all you see is a glow on the ground then there's nothing wrong with that.
    That's how I also understood it.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

No flashing is allowed either, they must be a constant glow. I thought there were colour restrictions, but that may depend primarily on your cop. You definitely cannot have the bulbs visible, just the glow.

as far as i know too it was ok as long as the bulb was hidden but just so you know the above link is from the cops response.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    I saw a guy on a big cruiser a few nights ago that had the ground effects blue neon lights.He was going north on the 404 near midnight and I thought that was cool and he was highly visible.
    It looked to me like it is a good way to be seen at night and far more safer.
    Is this legal here in Ontario?

You sure it wasn't green ? was there any other bikes with him ?

We rode all night last Friday and one of us has Green lights and glows so bright, we were all over Toronto, Musclemans Lake, 404 , 401

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.

they are 100% LEGAL (any colour) as long as you don't see the bulb.
    Not true. Ex Fiancee got ticket, took it to court, lost. It has something to do with it "shining" out from the vehicle or onto the road. Shining straight down on the road is enough for a conviction. You don't have to see the tube. If you can stand in front of the car and see any light emitted that is red, blue, green or white (white being non-dot approved white lighting device, i.e. light from neon tube), being a reflection or direct, boom ticket.

Her car: (custom neon kit made from scratch, tubes and all, with a very high amount of mercury in them! )

LICK FOR HIGH RES

VIDEOS!

LICK FOR VIDEO!!!

LICK FOR VIDEO!!!

She also got a ticket at the same time for her interior neons. Anything that illuminates the interior brighter then the dome light can be considered distracting and hinder the visibility of the driver.

LICK FOR HIGH RES

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 08-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Not true. Ex Fiancee got ticket, took it to court, lost. It has something to do with it "shining" out from the vehicle or onto the road. Shining straight down on the road is enough for a conviction. You don't have to see the tube. If you can stand in front of the car and see any light emitted that is red, blue, green or white (white being non-dot approved white lighting device, i.e. light from neon tube), being a reflection or direct, boom ticket.

Her car: (custom neon kit made from scratch, tubes and all, with a very high amount of mercury in them! )

She also got a ticket at the same time for her interior neons. Anything that illuminates the interior brighter then the dome light can be considered distracting and hinder the visibility of the driver.

-Jamie M.
    How much was the ticket Jamie ?

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.

Quote Originally Posted by Acuratech View Post
    How much was the ticket Jamie ?
    Was $110 each.

But I have to admit, her neons, inside and out, were a lil over the top

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Was $110 each.

But I have to admit, her neons, inside and out, were a lil over the top

-Jamie M.
    you should of got a better paralegal or did your homework better. Think about it, ever see the "SHINE" of a tail light reflecting off a trailer on a transport truck?

There's nothing in the HTA that mentions SHINE.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Acuratech View Post
    You sure it wasn't green ? was there any other bikes with him ?

We rode all night last Friday and one of us has Green lights and glows so bright, we were all over Toronto, Musclemans Lake, 404 , 401
    No ,it was blue, and it was a big cruiser, perhaps a V-Star or a Shadow ACE not sure.
    And it was no where near as bright as that car in the picture. I think he had a single small strip of those blue bulbs somewhere under his bike.
    He was certainly noticable thou and I thought what an excellent way to be seen on that dark section of the 404.
    Maybe its legal for bikes but not for cars?

you should of got a better paralegal or did your homework better. Think about it, ever see the "SHINE" of a tail light reflecting off a trailer on a transport truck?

There's nothing in the HTA that mentions SHINE.
    No, there isn't. What the HTA states is "visible from", so it doesn't matter in which direction the source is pointed, only that it can be seen from a stated distance.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, there isn't. What the HTA states is "visible from", so it doesn't matter in which direction the source is pointed, only that it can be seen from a stated distance.
    That is 100% correct. That is what they were talking about the whole case. They explained that nowhere in the HTA does it use the word "bulb" or talk about other illumination devices, only talks about the "light" and the colour of "light". So even if it is shining out or down, front or side, and is "visable from" the front of the vehicle, you are done.

She was using the Pointts people in Whitby. They had a pretty big case prepped. Should have seen the look of shock on the JP's and Prosecutors face when they showed them the photos of the neon lights. I prolly shoulda photoshopped them down a lil.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

So, can someone summarize what the real deal is please? I'm getting confused now.

- No flashing light
    - No bulb showing??
    - Certain colours - no red from front, white from rear?

If you want to be fancy and throw underglow on, fine, but make sure you turn them off while you're driving. Simple.
    "ride to your full potential or why ride at all!'

04 R6 (sold)
    07 R6

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    - No flashing light
    CORRECT!

- No bulb showing??
    Doesn't matter. Show all the bulbs you want.

- Certain colours - no red from front, white from rear?
    No red, green, blue or white from the front. No license plate illumination other then white. No rear facing white light that does not activate with the reverse lights. Pretty sure there are problems with other colours facing the rear. Orange and Red seem OK for the rear.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^