This is why cyclists should be licensed - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is why cyclists should be licensed

Re: This is why cyclists should be licensed

Quote Originally Posted by moosh009 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Biking on the sidewalk should be allowed, but cyclists should also keep in mind that they are on a side walk not a road (ie yield to pedestrians, use appropriate speed, etc).
    it is allowed in outer cities but in a busy core you should not be able to ride on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I disagree. That merely points to why existing laws should be enforced. It is illegal, in Toronto, to ride a full-sized bicycle on the sidewalk.

http://www.thestar.com/article/675301
    Agreed, as it has been from at least the time I was a kid, enforcement is the common sense solution.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    When you say "existing laws", do you mean HTA? Does HTA apply to bicycles?
    Yes, when it is a full sized bicycle it is considered a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by csr View Post
    No, this is why bicycles should be on the road...

This also shows how cyclists are caught in difficult situation ... bicycles, pedestrians and automobiles don't mix.

The traffic flow on Kennedy is typically 70-80Km/h the average cyclist rides at around 20Km/h meaning that there is a 60Km/h speed differential.

I think if you look at the number of injuries that are sustained due to car on cyclist collisions vs. cyclist on pedestrian collisions it would suggest that perhaps cyclists do belong on the sidewalk -- at least in the suburbs.

Freak incidents happen all the time... look at the long term statistics before making your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by usdm_b18 View Post
    I think if you look at the number of injuries that are sustained due to car on cyclist collisions vs. cyclist on pedestrian collisions it would suggest that perhaps cyclists do belong on the sidewalk -- at least in the suburbs.
    Actually I've been told that a big reason bikes are not allowed on side walks is due to statistically too many collisions with cars, believe it or not. The reason being cars driving/backing out of driveways, alleys etc + high speed of bike and the cars not expecting anything fast moving on the sidewalk (i.e. this is not an issue with pedestrians since they have time to react whereas a bicycle often will not)

Licensing bicycles would be a logistical nightmare. What level of government would facilitate this? Municipal? Provincial? Why would a cyclist living in Newmarket need a license when most of the accidents happen in Toronto? Unfortunately, avoidable accidents such as this do happen on the rare occasion.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    Odds are that there will be a blitz then.

People who say that the statistics show pedestrians don't frequently get hit on sidewalks, by cyclists, are correct. Jave is correct that the biggest issue is of cyclists being hit by cars as drivers both don't expect something moving at road speeds to be on the sidewalk, and the field of view is more frequently obscured to the sidewalk, for road users. Not having pedestrians be hit by cyclists is just a fortunate by-product.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    wow....horrible

I was there.

Kinda, I was heading south on Kennedy from McNicoll and as I came to Sheppard I had to change lanes as there were 3 cars in the right lane. As I pass them I see an older woman on the floor with blood coming out of her head, still conscious, with about 7 people around her. There was a bike close by so I figured she was on her bicycle and got hit by one of the cars. This was at the NW side.....a bit North of Sheppard.

As I got to the lights, traffic stopped as a fire truck with lights and sirens was passing to get to the victim. The fire truck stopped right in the middle of the intersection and the driver started looking around....I reached out and pointed it out to him where the victim was.

Then I see this on the news.....wierd. It didn't look too serious, guess you never know with head injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I was there.

Kinda, I was heading south on Kennedy from McNicoll and as I came to Sheppard I had to change lanes as there were 3 cars in the right lane. As I pass them I see an older woman on the floor with blood coming out of her head, still conscious, with about 7 people around her. There was a bike close by so I figured she was on her bicycle and got hit by one of the cars. This was at the NW side.....a bit North of Sheppard.

As I got to the lights, traffic stopped as a fire truck with lights and sirens was passing to get to the victim. The fire truck stopped right in the middle of the intersection and the driver started looking around....I reached out and pointed it out to him where the victim was.

Then I see this on the news.....wierd. It didn't look too serious, guess you never know with head injuries
    R.I.P..I also feel bad for the poor kid, he's gonna have to live with this for the rest of his life.
    Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

http://www.thestar.com/article/678175 . . . another serious injury

You guys are probably right, I'm usually against government doing anything, but I think the general point is "something" different has to be done with cyclists in Toronto. An education campaign at least and a blitz on sidewalk riders?

Bikes need to get off the sidewalk and cars need to pay attention to bikes.
    x

I think I've had more close calls on my motorcycle with bicycles than cars. Maybe its cause I ride downtown a lot buy the number of cyclists who blow through stop signs and red lights without looking is astounding. I almost smoked a cyclist on Dupont the other day as we went from curb lane to left lane (where I was) to make a left turn without so much as a shouldercheck or signal.

Apparently the tires on the bike that hit the woman in Scarborough were small enough that it was legally permitted to be on the sidewalk. Or so the reports today go.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Apparently the tires on the bike that hit the woman in Scarborough were small enough that it was legally permitted to be on the sidewalk. Or so the reports today go.
    I thought I heard the reason for the rule being based on wheel size was because they can't really do it by rider age since there is no requirement to have ID while riding a bike. They assume kids will be riding smaller bikes with smaller wheels. Perhaps this rule should be revisited. If a bike is moving at 30-50kmh does it really matter how old the person is, or how big the tires are.

Quote Originally Posted by cbranje View Post
    I thought I heard the reason for the rule being based on wheel size was because they can't really do it by rider age since there is no requirement to have ID while riding a bike. They assume kids will be riding smaller bikes with smaller wheels. Perhaps this rule should be revisited. If a bike is moving at 30-50kmh does it really matter how old the person is, or how big the tires are.
    It certainly matters from the standpoint of kinetic energy.