RZ350 suspension swaps.

Thread: RZ350 suspension swaps.

RZ350 suspension swaps.

i am thinking about buying another rz (1st bike was a rz) and i was thinking about using it as a track bike for soar next year. the only thing i disliked about the rz was its wheels, just not enough rubber for my riding, and the brakes were not up to track riding. so i figured i would swap a front end of a newer 600cc with usd forks breaks rotors etc.

so i heard and have researched many ways of swaping the forks and swingarm/shock. has anyone ever done these mods? seems pretty straight forward if you have the resources to do so. would just like a little more help like what is the best way to swap forks and what would be the easiest to throw on a set of USD forks, the swingarm seems pretty easy but the forks from what i have read seems confusing.

thanks for the help.

wouldnt mind a front end like this...

Re: RZ350 suspension swaps.

That's a JMC low brace swingarm. If you find one I suggest you snatch it up. I've heard people have some luck with entire CBR600F2-F3 front ends, I know it's not USD but it's enough braking power to twist that little RZ frame in half. Any shock will work as long as it's not much longer than stock, it's easier to lengthen a shock than to shorten it. You can even ask most authorized Ohlins dealers to retrofit an existing Ohlins shock with the correct clevis to fit the RZ, if you have the budget.

A couple of years ago I ran into someone at Shannonville who had fitted an entire Aprilia RS250 rear end to an RZ. You might want to seek this guy out as RS250's are not that hard to find south of the border.

Most front ends should be pretty easy to fit as long as you're willing to spend some time at a bearing supply shop looking for cups and races to fit both the frame and triples, or you can get a shop to press/weld out the RZ steering stem and press it into your triples of choice.

AirTech makes a few really nice fiberglass pieces for the RZ which you may find interesting.
    http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...3501984-86.htm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by doubleapex; 08-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Pi, Novice 728

thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

R1 forks, FZ600 swingarm:

It is for sale here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=19

If I had the cash right now it would be mine.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

I personally would stay away from a USD front end just because of the greater weight on a bike that doesn't like to weigh much, but if you want the bling then USD's the way to go.

For some reason the naked black bike pictured above looks much nicer than the yellow one.....and replacing a steel swingarm with another steel one????? I've seen lots of alloy conversions so I'm sure one of the many RZ forums can suggest an alloy option that's viable.

If you have the time I really recommend sandblasting the frame and checking it for cracks. The welds on an RZ frame are not great and I've seen more than one that was faulty out of the box. I've even seen cracks in RZ frames which were never crashed. You can sandblast, check for cracks or deffects, and have someone brace the weak spots. It doesn't cost a ton of money to brace an RZ frame, and it's not a bad idea if you're running at the track with modern tires, brakes, and suspension. While the frame is stripped you should also consider having a steering damper tab welded on.

You guys are a bad influence, I started eyeing my relatively stock '83 yesterday.
    Pi, Novice 728

thanks great advice.

the black rz above has rs250 forks thats why they dont look as bulky and awkward as the r1 forks. but rz forks are $$$. still thinking about what to do either i buy something newer for more money or a 2 stroke classic thats cheaper but then put money into it.

that yeller one has the easiest conversion.

the R1 fromnt forks need a 5mm spacer below the headstock, and 2 lower tapered bearings (have to buy two kits) frmo an RZ tapered kit.

The rear is an FZ600 aluminum swinger. 1mm needs to be removed from each side of the pivot. Katana wheel with GS500 cush drive I would think. I am not sure which wheel he used, his name is Art BTW.

LIke it has been mentioned, if you go for the new suspension, then you will need to brace the frame. It is bendy with the stock suspension...

My mistake, I thought I read FZR swingarm, which was steel, but you're tight, the '86 FZ units were alloy.
    Pi, Novice 728

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    i am thinking about buying another rz (1st bike was a rz) and i was thinking about using it as a track bike for soar next year. the only thing i disliked about the rz was its wheels, just not enough rubber for my riding, and the brakes were not up to track riding. so i figured i would swap a front end of a newer 600cc with usd forks breaks rotors etc.
    What SOAR classes do you intend on running in? You may want to take a look at the official rule book posted on their website for technical restrictions... I'm pretty sure Vintage doesn't allow these modifications. You'd more than likely still be eligible for other classes, just giving you a heads up.

aa i backed out of the deal and bought a r6 instead...thanks for the help though, would have loved the rz but i got a sick deal on the r6, so i will be running in the 600cc.