Tech inspecion TIRES?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech inspecion TIRES?

Tech inspecion TIRES?

Would a track day tech notice a plugged scrub? And I assume running any plugged tire on the track would not be aloud, correct?

Someone is out to prove something, and first of all I would never get on the track with this guy willingly in that state of mind. However this person is planning to install a plugged scrub to show me up on the track...Which IMO would be a danger to everyone
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 08-06-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Re: Tech inspecion TIRES?

If the tire has been ran on since and plugged right......probably not gonna notice. Don't look that close at tires except wear.
    HOWEVER.....pm me who it is cause I don't wanna ride with this wing nut on the track.

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

Tech would probably not notice the plug. They don't look at the whole tire (spin it) for defects but look at visible area to ensure there's enough rubber.

There are two safety concerns here:
    1 - as you have noted, running a plugged tire on the track.
    2 - this guy wanting to show you up at a track day. Track days are not for racing or the 'I'm better than you' mentality. Sure it happens at track days but it shouldn't. If he wants to prove something tell him to come out and register for SOAR.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    Tech would probably not notice the plug. They don't look at the whole tire (spin it) for defects but look at visible area to ensure there's enough rubber.

There are two safety concerns here:
    1 - as you have noted, running a plugged tire on the track.
    2 - this guy wanting to show you up at a track day. Track days are not for racing or the 'I'm better than you' mentality. Sure it happens at track days but it shouldn't. If he wants to prove something tell him to come out and register for SOAR.
    Oh I know and like I said I would never willingly ride with someone like that on the track....

Thats the funny part Ive only done 2 track days, and this guy told someone "Im going to the track, Im going to start racing, and Im gonna beat Johnny"...

Just to entertain the conversation I said "Oh yeah well he better have alot of money if he wants to compete with me" "so what kind of tire did he bring, was it a good tire?".....She said "I dont know about the brand/model or whatever, but it was a used scrub and it had to be plugged".....

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Hopefully it's a Yammy or Kawi.
    I buy crashed bikes !!!!

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

Has said guy ever ridden the track?

... and when is this going down?

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Has said guy ever ridden the track?

... and when is this going down?
    Nope I dont think so, and even if he has been hes not a regular.....And its not going down, not willingly anyways....I hope I never get stuck at a track day with this person, let alone in the same group..

Im looking out for eveyones safety, I might have come off as a hot head because of my aggressive style right off the bat to some people.. I can tell you for damn sure my bike is in proper condition for the track....

People bikes worry me more then the rider sometimes, even with the stunt bikes I see some of the back yard mechanic stuff that is so sketchy. I dont even know how they can ride the bike like that....Im sure that comes to the track too sometimes

Johnny, just give Ken the heads up. Whem I'm marshalling, I prefer to sit my *** down and look at the bikes going by without any issues. Unsafe riders on unsafe bikes make it more likely for me to have to get up and wave a flag. I'm lazy. I don't like getting up and waving
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Do you think it's wise to put a plug in a tire that's doing this?

Do you think it's wise to put a plug in a tire that's doing this?

Did those guys forget to raise their pressure after stunting?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Did those guys forget to raise their pressure after stunting?
    Looks like Jodi Christie playing arround with tire pressures...
    SOAR Novice #113

ouch - good on the guy handling the bike w/o crashing it - talk about soft!! Bet it's nice in the rain with like 10 psi in it. Great picture.
    GECKO #169
    Thank you: Yamaha-Motor Canada, Hindle, Penske, Armour bodies, Vortex, Pirelli, IM Leathers, Pro6, Team Pro-Motion USA, Cycle City, Lightning Products, Flair Photo, Parker Bros.,

No, that's what Pirelli's do. They have a very pliable carcass.

Jodi may have been playing around with pressures but i highly doubt that rear would have been lower than 24psi.

No, that's what Pirelli's do. They have a very pliable carcass.

Jodi may have been playing around with pressures but i highly doubt that rear would have been lower than 24psi.
    Thats lower then my stunt bike pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Thats lower then my stunt bike pressure!
    Fair enough.

Most people that i know who are racing on Pirellis (i'm on Dunlops) are using 31F and between 25 and 27R on the warmers.

Fair enough.

Most people that i know who are racing on Pirellis (i'm on Dunlops) are using 31F and between 25 and 27R on the warmers.
    Do you have any idea how or why the Dunlop slicks are running on such low pressure? What is the theory behind these tires only needed such low pressure(Dunlop recommends 23)

It's the way they're built.

Pirelli's have a very soft carcass and need air pressure to help the tire keep its shape, most other tires are the same.

The NTec means that the tire supports itself, air not so much. If you have a pirelli rear off the rim, stand it up and sit on it you'll fold it in half. Do the same with a Dunlop and it'll support your weight.

Dunlops used to be notorious for growth at speed, i tried 209GP's on my bike and my chassis set up really didn't like them. The back straight at shannonville at 200+ was interesting to say the least. Even with the damper 90% cranked i still thought i was about to die. The NTec's are near zero growth.

In the seven years I've been doing tech I have only failed 2 tires, and both of them happened this month.
    One guy had cords showing on the rear, another guy had a front so bald I wouldn't ride it on the street. Tim took some pics so we could post them up here.

Donald