Buying a used bike.

Thread: Buying a used bike.

Buying a used bike.

As a future new rider, hopefully next week! and someone that has never purchased a used car or bike before I am a bit overwhelmed.

I understand the seller needs to provide me with a UVIP and that takes care of signing over the ownership from seller to buyer. But how does it work if I happen to trade my car I am currently selling for a motorcycle, do both parties need to provide a UVIP to take to the ministry?

Does anyone have a link to a clearly written step by step process to the legal aspects of used vehicle purchasing in Ontario? I read through the MTO writeup but I'm still not entirely clear on the process. Would it not be nice if it was just a matter of trading a certified cheque for the keys + ownership lol!

Thanks,

Re: Buying a used bike.

It really is as simple as a money for keys + ownership.

The seller is supposed to give you a UVIP. Ive never got one from a seller but you must get one from the MTO prior to registering your car.

A UVIP is now required to register a car to a new owner.

In the Trade situations you can just sign over your ownership paper. The other party will still need the UVIP as to register the vehicle.

You do not need to be the owner to get a UVIP you just need to know the VIN.

Once you have the ownership signed over as sold. You can go to the ministry to change the ownership. IF you have a safety certificate and insurance you can also plate the vehicle.

At the ministry you will be required to pay PST on the sale price and a transfer fee. If you do not have a UVIP you will need to buy one for $20. If you need plates you will need to pay for them too.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, seems pretty straight forward.

Since your new, I would recommend getting the UVIP for the vehical you are buying ahead of time.
    It will show if a lien is regestered against the vehical. If there is one the current owner needs to get it cleared up & prove it or better yet you can get proof the from the lien holder that it has been discharged.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+