Woodbridge Timmys

Thread: Woodbridge Timmys

Woodbridge Timmys

Interesting thing happened to me last nite.

I pulled up to the Tim Hortons @ 7 and Martin Grove for a coffee. I was with my cousin. First thing I noticed when I got there was that there were 3 Vaughan Police Cars in the parking lot and not too many other cars at all. My cousin went inside to get us some coffees and I stayed outside to have a smoke. I had literally stepped out of the car and lit a cig when two cops come up to me and one says "You're leaving soon, right?". I gave her the questioning look and said, "Sure, just as soon as my cousin gets our coffees and I finish my smoke" So they walk away and say the same thing to a few other people who leave immediately. My cousin came back with the coffees after about 2 min. When he got in the car I told him what had happened. Before we left I approached the officers again and politely asked for clarification as to why I had to leave. The same female cop pointed to trash in the parking lot and told me that they are tired of seeing people leave their trash in the lots and they have to leave the lot "because they say so", I told her that I do not litter and all I want to do is have my coffee and I also can't smoke inside. She said "I dont believe a word you are saying, I used to throw my cig butts on the ground when I smoked, as well, if I see you do that, you will get a $65 fine or have to pick up 10 pieces of garbage". Instead of escalating the issue and getting my *** kicked by 2 cops while there were no cameras around, I told them to have a good evening and I left. I did notice that the parking lot was relatively spotless...

Anyways, is that even legal? I assume it was private property and the owners have the right to tell me to go away, but I was also a paying customer whose (nasty/evil) habits prevented him from entering the building. Were the cops within their limits to toss me from the parking lot before I could supposedly litter and destroy the environment?

Re: Woodbridge Timmys

I think most private parking lots have a No Loitering sign, which is rarely imposed. My guess is the owner got the lot cleaned and asked these cops some to stop people from hanging around the parking lot.

BTW, just curious, what did you do with the cigarette butt?

I think you were wise to let it drop at the time. You could certainly consider complaining to York Regional (there is no Vaughan Police, they would have been YRP or OPP) about the female officer's comments and behaviour. IMO more people should complain when they're treated badly by coppers.

She cannot tell you to leave without giving reasons that are supportable under her legal authority - for example the owner of the property asked you to leave and she was telling you to leave or you would be guilty of a trespass. However, when a cop tells you to do something, you gotta consider the ramifications of not obeying, whether the direction they gave you was lawful or not. Ever hear of the Cherry Beach Express? I have several friends who have been given a ride on it. Bottom line is you don't wanna piss off coppers.

I hear the York Region police being called all the time to the Tim Hortons at Martin Grove / Hwy 7. They usually go, but its not a priority. Dispatchers even ask the helicopter to fly over, and the pilots say no
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

this goes back to the days of the street racers meeting at weston and 7 timmies, the property owner gave cops permission to remove and or charge people who were not customers and impose a time limit on customers . so my guess this is what happening there, this is the 6 or 7th time that different property owners have done this.

also if you had seen the condition of the parking lots after a night of cars hanging out its bad, and they have to spend money to hire someone to clean it up.

I wonder if the property owner(s) have to pay YRP to have the coppers park themselves in the parking lot for XX amount of time getting rid of folks.... Or is this a free service to the owners? After all it is private property...

Makes me wonder if I can have the same service on my property at home to have a copper park themselves on my drive way and when a kid walks along the sidewalk and steps on my grass, the copper nails them for trespassing.

As to the comment "She said "I don’t believe a word you are saying, I used to throw my cig butts on the ground when I smoked, as well, if I see you do that, you will get a $65 fine or have to pick up 10 pieces of garbage"" - I always thought dumping on private property was a city by-law issue and enforced by the local cities bylaw officers... If one was to litter on public property, I can see the copper laying a charge... Can anyone confirm? I may be wrong...

Free coffee and doughnuts go a long way
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

If I had seen only cop cars in the parking lot with few other people, I'd not stop there at all.

That's damn inhospitable of the cops and assuming from the owners as well. Maybe you can find another place to have your coffee? I know I would, for more than a couple of months.

Those free coffee's go a long way I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Free coffee and doughnuts go a long way
    Ah you beat me too it!!!

My bad,

- You are correct, it was YRP
    - I threw the cig butt on the road as I drove out of the lot
    - I used to work for the Wendys/Timmys at Derry and Goreway and there is one person (usually the grill man) who is charged with doing what is called a "Lot Pickup" in the mornings, which consists of about an hour cleaning up the parking lot and costs about $10 of labor.
    - If the Timmys wanted to save money, they had to have bribed the cops with donuts, because paying for paid duty officers and cars is expensive
    - I will not be going there anymore for my coffees for a while. I can understand kicking me out if im there all nite, or if im not a paying customer or even if im making trouble, but I dont like BS like this without justification
    Last edited by Triniboy; 08-06-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: edited for clarification

I wouldn't write the YRP I'd write to the Tim Horton's headquarters and ask why they are allowing Police to harrass legitimate customers. You bought a coffee and wanted to drink it on their property. Nothing wrong with that... actually isn't that why you stop rather than go through drive through? I'm sure Tim's headquarters would have some questions if enough people complained about being asked to leave while being paying customers. I'd also take my business else where and encourage others to which I'd make known to the Tim's headquarters. That is bad PR all around.

I sure hope they are paid duty otherwise that is a huge waste of taxpayer funded services. If police really have nothing better to do then maybe its time to look at cutting the police budget as there isn't enough crime to warrent the staff they have.

That area is always bad for cops. Way to many punks in there riced up civics. I swear everytime I drive by there someone wants to race me, car or bike it doesn't matter.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the cops are pay-duty and are hired by the Timmies to stay there to remove loiterers. Some places hire private security, and some pay a buttload more and hire real coppers.

I highly doubt cops would stick around a Timmies and bug people about littering if they weren't getting specifically paid to do it.

U should of ask the cop if that was requested by the property owner. I dont see how they would have jurisdiction there.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    U should of ask the cop if that was requested by the property owner. I dont see how they would have jurisdiction there.
    Publicly accessible area.

Little laws.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde