2nd TrackDay @ Cayuga I hit 1:25:77 - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd TrackDay @ Cayuga I hit 1:25:77

Re: 2nd TrackDay @ Cayuga I hit 1:25:77

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Try running a 1:19 in intermediate, and I wanted to go faster....But how are you supposed to know where you belong when its only your 2nd time on a track day, and last time you were only doing 1:22-1:24's...
    Johnny at TMP anything 1:26 or faster is the hot shoe group... Don't worry they won't let you into anything other than hot shoe again, believe me i've tried. (Cherry picking is fun once in a while )

1:19's will put you at the front of the pack in the rookie cup for SOAR.
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Johnny at TMP anything 1:26 or faster is the hot shoe group... Don't worry they won't let you into anything other than hot shoe again, believe me i've tried. (Cherry picking is fun once in a while )

1:19's will put you at the front of the pack in the rookie cup for SOAR.
    Not really the kid on the 125 GP was smoking everyone in beginner, passing inside outside...And no one seemed to have a problem with that....He could have probably been in Hot, and intermediate for sure...Obviously not his first time on that track

As for me, now I know where I belong....And in SOAR Id be happy just to finish my first race without crashing, and thrilled if I could place top 10...Im kinda scared because I know I will only get faster, as I get more experienced on the track and with my new bike, and educated on prep......For example I talked to a racer about my tires and I said I could still make them slide, he asked what my pressure was...I was 31 hot in the rear, he checked his Dunlop pressure chart and I was supposed to have 23! So the bike isnt even right, and Im still doing good times...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 08-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.

That kid was awesome!
    Just because of him as soon a I have a kid I am buying him an RS125!

Johnny if you are running 1:19's that is insane, I'm suprised you didn't lap me (black r1 with the number 5).
    I'm not sure why they didn't bump you up to Hot Shoe, they were pretty quick to put me in there and made srue I new I was never going to be running intermediate with them again.

Get your ***** out to soar and get some silverware man.

Not really the kid on the 125 GP was smoking everyone in beginner, passing inside outside...And no one seemed to have a problem with that....He could have probably been in Hot, and intermediate for sure...Obviously not his first time on that track

As for me, now I know where I belong....And in SOAR Id be happy just to finish my first race without crashing, and thrilled if I could place top 10...Im kinda scared because I know I will only get faster, as I get more experienced on the track and with my new bike, and educated on prep......For example I talked to a racer about my tires and I said I could still make them slide, he asked what my pressure was...I was 31 hot in the rear, he checked his Dunlop pressure chart and I was supposed to have 23! So the bike isnt even right, and Im still doing good times...
    Was the kid on the 125 Emerson Connor? That kids quick, but it's likely not him cause he usualy runs in hot shoe and still keeps up or even passes me. (Well not since I started SOAR, but before that)

From what i've heard the Dunlops have some crazy pressure drop in the rear, but hey who are we to argue with the manufacture recomendation, only they would know what a good baseline is for that compound. Drop it down to the manufacturer recomendation and start from there, maybe talk with Tony as well well at SOAR rounds and see what he (or the other tire guys) recommend. I'm finding it difficult to feel the difference 0.5-1lb makes, a large change like 31 to 23 is easy to detect but at this point at my skill level half a pound or so is not even noticeable making pressure tuning useless.

Remember you can be fast on a trackday, but making those passes during a race situation is a totaly different beast. The guys in-front just suck you in and you start cooking those tires... Fun!
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    That kid was awesome!
    Just because of him as soon a I have a kid I am buying him an RS125!

Johnny if you are running 1:19's that is insane, I'm suprised you didn't lap me (black r1 with the number 5).
    I'm not sure why they didn't bump you up to Hot Shoe, they were pretty quick to put me in there and made srue I new I was never going to be running intermediate with them again.

Get your ***** out to soar and get some silverware man.

Yeah good for him, he was amazing to watch....But apparently I was being a danger to SOAR racers in intermediate because of some "meatball passes", so how was the kid not a danger to my friend Moreno636 passing him multiple times in corners in beginner? Isnt there no passing on turns in beginner at all?

Hearing you got bumped up makes me mad, because I ran a 1:19.5 my first session according to my friends stop watch...Even if they are off a few Im still well under 1:26's. At times I was passing 3-4 riders at once.....And I demanded to be moved up my first black flag, then again when I was given a 2nd and final warning....And the answer was the same both times, Hot is full so unless you can find someone to trade with, you need to slow down gain distance and catch up to people....Tell me how much fun is that when I can catch up to people in less then half a lap? They might as well have kicked me out, as I didnt even want to ride at %50 after that....

Apparently I "ride like a maniac" so I guess I just got this whole track thing all wrong....I thought the people in charge would manage the groups according to peoples times....

So when were you bumped up? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Was the kid on the 125 Emerson Connor? That kids quick, but it's likely not him cause he usualy runs in hot shoe and still keeps up or even passes me. (Well not since I started SOAR, but before that)

From what i've heard the Dunlops have some crazy pressure drop in the rear, but hey who are we to argue with the manufacture recomendation, only they would know what a good baseline is for that compound. Drop it down to the manufacturer recomendation and start from there, maybe talk with Tony as well well at SOAR rounds and see what he (or the other tire guys) recommend. I'm finding it difficult to feel the difference 0.5-1lb makes, a large change like 31 to 23 is easy to detect but at this point at my skill level half a pound or so is not even noticeable making pressure tuning useless.

Remember you can be fast on a trackday, but making those passes during a race situation is a totaly different beast. The guys in-front just suck you in and you start cooking those tires... Fun!
    That is exactly why I only dropped it to 25 instead of right down to 23, cause a big change might through me off...Then the guy looped the wheelie ending the day before I could try it out...

It might be who your thinking of, I heard he normally runs in hot too...But Im sure hes well known and can do what he wants, were as Im a new guy and nobody likes the new guy....

My 2nd meat ball pass, was for passing 2 SOAR racers on the inside of the last turn, so I should have no problem passing them anywhere else on the track...As that is the last place Id plan to pass someone, its just that they were going so slow through there, and I could take the inside line faster and came in way too hot....That was my problem its easy to say keep your distance, but on the straights they are going fast, and then just start braking way sooner then I do...So it just happened, I did not plan on it...It literally looks like they through it in reverse and are comming at me backwards...ANd I had the door shut on me a few times when I went for an outside pass, one time a 929 rider drifted wide and almost hit me as I was holding the outside line...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 08-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Apparently I "ride like a maniac" so I guess I just got this whole track thing all wrong....I thought the people in charge would manage the groups according to peoples times....
    Johnny don't take the "ride like a maniac" thing to heart, it just means that you're riding style will spook other riders in intermediate. Newer riders will see you backing it in, dong 50' endo's into turn 1 and get distracted, nothing wrong with you it's just your style.

After my first trackday they called me 'highly erratic' and forced me to ride in hot shoe because apparently I was a danger to slower riders, at the time I was running like 1:32's... sad!
    SOAR Novice #113

Yeah good for him, he was amazing to watch....But apparently I was being a danger to SOAR racers in intermediate because of some "meatball passes", so how was the kid not a danger to my friend Moreno636 passing him multiple times in corners in beginner? Isnt there no passing on turns in beginner at all?

Hearing you got bumped up makes me mad, because I ran a 1:19.5 my first session according to my friends stop watch...Even if they are off a few Im still well under 1:26's. At times I was passing 3-4 riders at once.....And I demanded to be moved up my first black flag, then again when I was given a 2nd and final warning....And the answer was the same both times, Hot is full so unless you can find someone to trade with, you need to slow down gain distance and catch up to people....Tell me how much fun is that when I can catch up to people in less then half a lap? They might as well have kicked me out, as I didnt even want to ride at %50 after that....

it happens, I went out with crash and after 10 or 15 laps he said get yer *** to intermediate at least maybe hotshoe and dont come back, but it was only after I had asked him to give me some coaching they noticed I was running a hell of a lot faster than the rest of the beginner pack. I put myself there as I was unsure of just how much faster the other groups were.

It might be who your thinking of, I heard he normally runs in hot too...But Im sure hes well known and can do what he wants, were as Im a new guy and nobody likes the new guy....
    Emerson's got skill and at the same time is a little nuts! I had the little bugger pass me on the inside while both wheels were on the turtle and dragging knee in the grass on turn 5 ( the sharp left), made it look like an everyday move, I was in shock he pulled that off. (We were like a foot apart) That was on my very first trackday ever, i'm sure i'd still find that impressive now. Kids got skill!
    SOAR Novice #113

I got bumped up after my first session, but I got there quite late so so it was after lunch.

I got a bit of an embarassing yelling at/lecture/ arms flailing around right at the pit exit (i'm suprised that you didn't see it because everyone came and asked me about it later) that kind of made me lose my composure and I actually sat out my next session.

I just asked Chris I realized that I didn't want to run in intermediate if It would involve public humilation if I could be bumped up because I didn't want to put anyone at danger if there was a risk of that, and aplogized because this was my first trackday. He agreed and said I would be much better suited to running in hot shoe.

I think it wasn't how I was passing so much as the quantity of people I was passing. I made sure I didn't pass anyone going into turns, only by braking later than them and getting on the gas sooner on the exits and making sure that there was at least 5 or 6 feet of space. Still nowhere near race pace or anything like that.

Taken in light of the number of crashes he was dealing with that day I can understand if he kind of overreacted but he was really cool about bumping me up. Hell I would be stressed as hell too.
    Not sure why he didn't bump you. Especially if you were running 1:19. I don't think 75% of the hotshoe group were running 1:19's.

How did Ryan do? Did he manage to get his knee down? He was looking good out there, I didn't get a chance to talk to him later on in the day.

I got bumped up after my first session, but I got there quite late so so it was after lunch.

I got a bit of an embarassing yelling at/lecture/ arms flailing around right at the pit exit (i'm suprised that you didn't see it because everyone came and asked me about it later) that kind of made me lose my composure and I actually sat out my next session.

I just asked Chris I realized that I didn't want to run in intermediate if It would involve public humilation if I could be bumped up because I didn't want to put anyone at danger if there was a risk of that, and aplogized because this was my first trackday. He agreed and said I would be much better suited to running in hot shoe.

I think it wasn't how I was passing so much as the quantity of people I was passing. I made sure I didn't pass anyone going into turns, only by braking later than them and getting on the gas sooner on the exits and making sure that there was at least 5 or 6 feet of space. Still nowhere near race pace or anything like that.

Taken in light of the number of crashes he was dealing with that day I can understand if he kind of overreacted but he was really cool about bumping me up. Hell I would be stressed as hell too.
    Not sure why he didn't bump you. Especially if you were running 1:19. I don't think 75% of the hotshoe group were running 1:19's.

How did Ryan do? Did he manage to get his knee down? He was looking good out there, I didn't get a chance to talk to him later on in the day.
    You mean a lecture like this?

You got me really confused man, you were not going as fast as me from the sounds of it. Yet you get bumped up after I asked to be bumped up running 1:20's early in the morning...How does that work you came after lunch, I should have been bumped before you from what your telling me?

You can ask anyone, my friends might exaggerate my times, but I know for damn sure I was going fast enough for it....And you cant really miss me out there

He did good, improved from what he says, but like most people riding his street bike is holding him back IMO....

This bumping up and down thing is why I asked who was in charge of regulating what riders are in what groups.

That kid on the 125 passed me on the inside, outside, he might have even rolled over me at some point. I could not for the life of me figure out how that dude was allowed to be in the beginner group. Oh and what are SOAR racers doing in Intermediate?

I clocked Johnny's second session, if I remember correctly it was 1:24, 1:22, 1:19.5 and 1:22. I was using a stop watch, yet if I was off by a second thats still a blazing 1:20.5!!!

Fawaz, I started to get really really comfortable and my lines were getting really nice by late afternoon. I would have been dragging around turn 2 and one of the later lefts if it wasnt for the ****** who looped it.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Hi guys,
    A little clarification about the guy on the 125. He's not Emerson Connor (although he idolizes Emerson). His name is Eden and he's my son. He's a fair bit younger than Emerson.The GWB guys have been really great with him- allowing him on the track to practice on the RS. The reason I've been keeping him in the beginner class is just because of his age and his size- he's so little that I'm afraid that if he is involved in a crash with a rider 100+ pounds heavier than him, he'll take the worst of it. As a rule, the beginner class is far more cautious than the intermediate (as demonstrated on Monday) and he has the opportunity to work on skills development. Kevin has been great letting him be first out of the gate each session so he can get a lap or two in before coming up on traffic. He was very upset with himself for making what he thought was a shi**y pass on another rider, and sought that rider out and apologized. If anyone else got spooked, I'd like to apologize on his behalf. To be honest, I'd feel more comfortable if he ran hot-shoe as the fast guys are usually far more disciplined riders and would be able to watch out for the little guy better (in my opinion) than the intermediates.
    Chris was pacing him for a few laps in the afternoon. I'll discuss with him the appropriate class for Eden to run in at the next event. You'll see him out there- the name on the back of his leathers read's ' SpeEden'
    Thanks to everyone for their patience with him.

Tonto, for #999 Eden O'Shell

cant wait to join you all next season. i get jealous reading through these track day threads. stay safe.

JP i cant get over that bike...need more pics.

You must have to deal with a lot of traffic at your pace and you must have some great passing skills to be able to run a 1:25 in that group.

I think I was running a 1:30 or so (seat of the pants timer/ street trim/ had to still ride my bike home) and it was just a parking lot in intermediate.
    I found even at the slow pace of 1:30ish hot shoe was a much more comfortable group to be in.

Once again to all of you that were running that fast, Great Job!
    Aren't you a registered SOAR racer with the Rookie Cup? If so, what race times are you running... apparently I can run my R1 in the rookie cup as well, but if I place well others may appeal?

BTW I saw you getting in trouble... I guess you stuffed the wrong guy, lmao... best line of the day:
    "ARE YOU ****ING WINNING!?"
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 08-05-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Hi guys,
    A little clarification about the guy on the 125. He's not Emerson Connor (although he idolizes Emerson). His name is Eden and he's my son. He's a fair bit younger than Emerson.The GWB guys have been really great with him- allowing him on the track to practice on the RS. The reason I've been keeping him in the beginner class is just because of his age and his size- he's so little that I'm afraid that if he is involved in a crash with a rider 100+ pounds heavier than him, he'll take the worst of it. As a rule, the beginner class is far more cautious than the intermediate (as demonstrated on Monday) and he has the opportunity to work on skills development. Kevin has been great letting him be first out of the gate each session so he can get a lap or two in before coming up on traffic. He was very upset with himself for making what he thought was a shi**y pass on another rider, and sought that rider out and apologized. If anyone else got spooked, I'd like to apologize on his behalf. To be honest, I'd feel more comfortable if he ran hot-shoe as the fast guys are usually far more disciplined riders and would be able to watch out for the little guy better (in my opinion) than the intermediates.
    Chris was pacing him for a few laps in the afternoon. I'll discuss with him the appropriate class for Eden to run in at the next event. You'll see him out there- the name on the back of his leathers read's ' SpeEden'
    Thanks to everyone for their patience with him.

Tonto, for #999 Eden O'Shell
    I don't s'pose you're adopting? I'm 40, but act more like 14 Your son is really good, and will no doubt be leading the hot shoes in a few years; right up until the point he discovers girls

You're an awesome dad, he's very lucky! I hope I get more of a chance to watch him, other than seeing him leave the gate (way) in front of me...
    Opinions are like motorcycles; we all have one, some are just better than others

I was running in the 17's on my 3rd trackday.

It's hard to be humble

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I was running in the 17's on my 3rd trackday.

It's hard to be humble
    Was that on Nelson???? at Shanny
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I don't think Eden would have any issues in Hot, Most Guys in Hot realize it's a track day and not a race and are there working on their lines etc and not riding on the ragged edge.

I was on the track with him earlier this year when they combined groups. His lines are very clean and consistent.. I couldn't hang with the little guy through the infield with the corner speed he carries, which is amazing and could only get past him on the straights and he keeps well on line.

I was amazed the difference new tires made last time out, I was getting low 1:20s and a couple of 1:19's and didn't feel like I was pushing to hard, where I felt like I was pushing to get 1:23s-1:24s on the old tires.