Drz 400 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drz 400

Re: Drz 400

On the SM model the front brake rotor is larger which means the caliber is too, the forks are inverted (motocross style) and I think the seat height is a little lower on the SM over the S or E models. The S and SM models share the same body, and motor. The E model which is strictly off road now with no chance of being on road as I understand it, has a few more HP stock with the better carb and engine base gasket. Oh and the tires, SM comes with 17" street rims and tires where the S and E model come with 18 back and 21 front dirt rims. You can easily hook up dirt rims to the SM the axles are all the same you just have to change over the rotors meant for the SM. The biggest complaint with that is the large front rotor of the SM is over exposed to being damaged by large rocks and I guess there's a greater chance of washing out your front end if you are riding in more technical stuff cause the front will brake and grab a lot more with the larger rotor. Personally I'm not overly concerned with the exposure of my front rotor and confident enough I won't wash the bike out for the same reasons.

so it is better to buy the SM version ? the savings to buy the enduro version isn't justified by how much $$ i'll spend on parts to make it a SM

The SM is the way to go. I wouldn't mind buying a spare sm for parts sometime down the road. The bike market more specifically off-road bikes market is really really soft right. A lot of bikes that should be around $4500 will sell for $3500 now. I hope to pick up a fairly good DRZ around the latter price at the end of this year and use it soley as a part bike.

As I have heard, it's always less expensive to make SM off-roadable than the other way around. But I have never done it myself ...

Front end, wheels and handle bars is basically the major difference as far as I know.

I just wish Yamaha came out with a 450-550cc version of the WRX. 6th gear, newer tech, feather-light, low-maintenence.. That would be the ideal street ride for me.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

yeah. But they never make a bit to fit your needs...almost have to customize one to make it work for you...

Banned

A buddy of mine has a DRZ SM and loves it. It is a great city bike, and not bad on secondary roads.

It is really buzzy at over 100 k, can do it, but i'd not want to go for more than 3 hours with the stock seat. Pretty unforgiving.

Great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    Go for it. The bike will do 120-130 all day long on the highway if you want it to.

I think the reason why they only released the WR250X was because in many graduated licensing jurisdictions, it's a cutoff displacement for beginners. However, Yamaha's big enough to cater to the more serious SM crowd. DRZ is getting up there in age.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I just wish Yamaha came out with a 450-550cc version of the WRX. 6th gear, newer tech, feather-light, low-maintenence.. That would be the ideal street ride for me.
    not only for you ... But I don't want to be stuck waiting for them, so in the meantime I'll take the DRZ.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I think the reason why they only released the WR250X was because in many graduated licensing jurisdictions, it's a cutoff displacement for beginners. However, Yamaha's big enough to cater to the more serious SM crowd. DRZ is getting up there in age.
    I think the main reason is a development of new engine. Like WR250X. it needs power, but maintenance must be like non-race bike. 6th speed and EFI ... all that combined means a new development. Return on investment? Well probably not as good in their eyes ....

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    A buddy of mine has a DRZ SM and loves it. It is a great city bike, and not bad on secondary roads.

It is really buzzy at over 100 k, can do it, but i'd not want to go for more than 3 hours with the stock seat. Pretty unforgiving.

Great bike.
    I run hwy at 110-120 and buzzing is not what bothers me at all. It's the obvious lack of wind screen and 6th speed (making rather gearing issue than buzzing) Of course in comparison to smooth multi cylinder street bikes it will always be buzzier.

Aftermarket will take care of the screen. I have one lined up which you can take off and on in 2 mins. problem solved, at least as best as one can do so on SM bike.
    Last edited by mxs; 08-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post

Front end, wheels and handle bars is basically the major difference as far as I know.
    Swingarm is different. Larger front and rear rotor also.

Newer SM's come with 1 1/8 bars and axle sliders.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

damn I want a drz400sm, or a dr650 converted. I used to ride ouround downtown doing stupid crap on my mountain bike all the time it'ds be nice to have a bike I (would feel) could do the same htings on

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    Swingarm is different. Larger front and rear rotor also.

Newer SM's come with 1 1/8 bars and axle sliders.
    You sure about the swingarm? I know that the chain adjusters are different, but I doubt the whole swingarm or rear brake is different at all.
    Last edited by mxs; 08-08-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    You sure about the swingarm? I know that the chain adjusters are different, but I doubt the whole swingarm or rear brake is different at all.
    Yes I'm sure.

Sm rear rotor is 240mm. S & E rotor is 220mm. Which makes the caliper mounting points and braketry different also. I think the axle is longer to accommodate the wider adjusters as well.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125