reporting lost plate to police

Thread: reporting lost plate to police

reporting lost plate to police

Lowsided on a highway recently. No contact with any other vehicles. A bunch of nice people came out and offered to help. I noticed that some had their cell phones out.

I was concerned that police/ambulance may have been called and that my insurance premiums may get jacked or bike may get towed, etc.

I was fine but noticed a some coolant by the bike. I pick it up and moved it to the shoulder. Check the bike. No coolant leaks. Starts up fine. Let it idle for few minutes, still no leaks. Bike seems fine. So thank everyone, wave them off, and proceed to ride home.

I get home and notice that my license plate (including the bracket) was broken off! No problem, Go to the ministry and report that plate 'fell off'. They hand me a 'replacement declaration' form to take to the police station. Apparently, plate needs to be reported to police first before getting a replacement

So is it safe to report to police that the plate 'fell off'?

Re: reporting lost plate to police

yes - just say it was lost - I lost mine and you need the police incident number from this report to get a new plate.

No biggie. $20 to replace.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Should be ok. From what I gather they want the information incase someone finds your plates, decides to use em, and runs up 407 fees or ticket charges.

My plates were stolen on friday and reported it to the police saturday morning. They asked me my bike type, location it was when the plates were taken, the time, etc. At the end of the conversation he gave me a number as well as his badge number to take to the ministry. Went to the ministry, gave them the police information, paid $20 and got new plates. Harmless.
    02' Honda CBR600 F4i (Current)
    00' Honda CBR600 F4 (Sold)

As to what others have said, yeah I don't think it would be an issue to say that it 'feel off' in any form. They are reasonable able it most of the time Once when we took the cage down for a family vacation someone took a plate off the back when we were in Florida. Told the locals and reported it, then showed paperwork when in Ontario again.

Just had to have it stated so if we were pulled over in ON, they can see it was not illegal.
    Cheers 'n Beers,
    Haz

Pilot, Photographer, Volleyball player and now Rider...
    Current Ride: '09 Suzuki SV650SA ABS
    Free Sempire!!!!

I had the worst luck. My plates were either stolen or fell off WHILE I was at the ministry getting plates for another bike. It had to happen on the busiest day too. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I had the worst luck. My plates were either stolen or fell off WHILE I was at the ministry getting plates for another bike. It had to happen on the busiest day too. Urgh.
    ya, I know what you mean. Went to the ministry yesterday @11a and the lineup was all the way to the outside! Didn't want to wait so I went instead first thing this morning. There was about 10 people waiting for the doors to open.

now imagine having to walk back in, wait again, to get a form to bring to the cops, where you had to wait again, to get it filled out, to bring BACK to the ministry, to wait again, to get your new plates

I don't pretend to be a genius, or a great problem solver, but even I know there's gotta be a better way of doing this.

I don't know what MTO offices you're going to....33 Victoria (by King Eddy hotel) and the one in Leaside (Sutherland and Millwood) I've been able to walk up to the wicket.

If you go to a testing centre you'll be with the masses that need more than a simple admin matter like new plates.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Yep just head to the Ministry and theyll provide that form .. bring it to your local police station and they do a quick report.

Head back to the Ministry for your new plates ..

I lost mine last year on the way to the dragon .. fell off somewhere between NY and Ohio.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Yep, no biggie.

I had my plate fall off on my ride up to Parry Sound rally a few years back.

I just went in my with ownership to the OPP station and filled out the appropriate report, then took it once completed with the Police to the MTO and got a new plate.

All i had to do was call the police and an officer called me back, told him i lost it and around what time i found out, he gave me an ancident number and his name and went to the DMV and filled out the form right there. $20 + $300 in parking tickets + decided to renew registration for car/bike while i was there, lets just say i walked out pay a lot more than i expected lol ****** day
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Yep just head to the Ministry and theyll provide that form .. bring it to your local police station and they do a quick report.

Head back to the Ministry for your new plates ..

I lost mine last year on the way to the dragon .. fell off somewhere between NY and Ohio.
    Wow I thought my story was a pain in the ***. That must've really sucked lol.

well, stopped by the police station to get my form signed. They refused to sign it. Since I declared that it fell on the highway then apparently I need to bring this form to an OPP station.

So I make a farther trek out to OPP get this form signed. Then back to ministry and get my new plate.

I think I'm going to weld my new plate to my bike.

They are giving you a load of BS - I just called my local copper division - they redirected my call to dispatch (??) who was to call me back. They called me back in about 15 minutes, took the details (my plate fell off between Toronto and Hamilton) and presto, I had a badge number and an incident number and I was off to the MTO.

All by phone.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Lesson learned: always lie to cops?

I have my new plates, but I need to go to my dads house so he can fabricate a new bracket to mount it.

Can I ride to my dads and just carry the license plate in my bag?
    Will I get in trouble if I'm stopped?

if you wanna be ghetto you can just tie a string through and throw it over your shoulder

if you make the effort of having it on your back and visible, and do get pulled over, i would think they'd be a little more understanding given that you're showing you're not trying to hide anything

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    if you wanna be ghetto you can just tie a string through and throw it over your shoulder

Just remember, your license plate must be clearly visible from the rear and if it's dark or getting dark it must be lit by a white light.

So tie a flashlight the string
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.