City is on strike and still handing out parking tickets.

Thread: City is on strike and still handing out parking tickets.

City is on strike and still handing out parking tickets.

I just got a parking ticket for parking my motorcycle at the end of a taxi stand in front of the eaton center. (Albert st.) My bike was at the very front of a 3 car taxi stand, litteraly on the yellow line dividing the taxi stand to normal parking.

$60 ticket, should I fight it? Its stupid because the parking enforcement office at 55 john street is not in operation.

Re: City is on strike and still handing out parking tickets.

take a picture of where/how you were parked and fight it.
    ...it's the principal of the thing

The city still has to make money somehow... Not that I agree with the ticket. If you declare your intentions and the city receives that well after the strike, you might get screwed.

If you're on a dividing line, rather than over it, they still consider that to be in the proscribed area.

The city is making a profit on the strike, at this point. As long as such a strike goes on for more than a couple of weeks the cleanup costs are lower than the salaries would be. The city workers will take the rest of the year to make up what they've lost. While a pain in the rear, this is likely the best thing that could have happened to the city's deficit.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

No question it's great for city's wallet. The residents? Who cares ...

Fight it!

As revealed last year in this column, the city accepts applications for $30 ticket trials and a clerk tells the applicant a court date will arrive in the mail. But the ticket simply disappears and a conviction is never registered.

City court officials have figured out it's much cheaper to pretend to offer a trial than actually provide one.
    Maybe it'll work for a $60 ticket as well?

http://www.thestar.com/article/671727

Parking works as a division of Toronto Police, not the City of Toronto, so they're not on strike. The people at the windows where you pay are on strike, but they have supervisors/managers working at the Markham road location. Rumour has it if you take it to that location they're just canceling the tags to try to run through the back log. Also, if you haven't had a ticket canceled before, everyone is entitled to ONE 'courtesy cancel', you just have to ask for it.

Fighting them is usually hard, they usually just lower the fee, not totally let you off.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    No question it's great for city's wallet. The residents? Who cares ...
    It's helping to keep the property taxes of Toronto residents artificially low; well below those paid by people in the 905.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Fight every parking ticket if you can. I've got 2 60.00 parking tickets that I'm still waiting to hear about - 1 from September 2008 and one from March 2009.

I got a $60 tag, couldn't go to John St., downtown TO, to set a court date, and now have a Notice of Impending Conviction. This Notice says in part "If you wish to dispute .... notice, you....must bring this notice to one of the locations below...." John St. is one of the "locations below" and it's closed.

So far as I am concerned this is my official notice of what I am entitled to do to dispute the tag, and because of the strike I can't do it. I don't think the internet notice counts at all esp. since I now have an official letter, received AFTER the strike started telling me to go to John St. which is closed.

I think I should be able to get off.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

oh damn. WHAT? i got a parking ticket too and i CAN'T fight it because they are on strike? damn. what can i do now?

Markham Road location is open... and by the way things look the city workers will be back Thursday, so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Yay, garbage pick up!