2002 or older vs 2003 newer SV650 for track

Thread: 2002 or older vs 2003 newer SV650 for track

2002 or older vs 2003 newer SV650 for track

For the guys(or girls) that track their SV650's what do you recommend. Parts, cost for repairs, maintenance etc etc
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Re: 2002 or older vs 2003 newer SV650 for track

bikes are essentialy the same. The 2g has a pony or two more, and EFI vs carbs. Its gonna depend on who you ask, I like the low maintenance of the EFI, some people prefer the tunability of the carbs.

from a cost standpoint a 1st gen can be had cheaper. They have been racing SV's for a long time and there are a lot of parts and goodies available. 2nd gen parts appear to be a bit easier to come by, but parts for both are fairly readily available.

I have not ridden a 2nd gen to compare it with my first gen race bike, but as mentioned above the 2nd gens have a bit more power. I have heard that some of the second gens have had a problem with a weak crank (even saw one break), but I am not sure how much of a problem or how widespread that is. A bit of research should give you the info you need (check svrider.com)

If you are looking at purchasing a track only bike, I would advise you to buy one that is already track ready. When you start adding the cost of upgrading suspension and adding body work the expenses will climb. You can find good race SV's for decent money if you keep an eye out.

Either one is great. Lots of parts available for both. Grab one and come on out and join the fun.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

First gen is a better platform for a trackbike. You have alot more HP potential with the carb'd bikes, depending on how deep your pockets are, if you are leaving it stock the 2nd gen has a couple more ponies. With the carb'd models you have a choice of 39mm flatslides or 41mm flatslide carbs depending on engine mods, stock bore works very well with 39mm one. 85 horsepower is the max HP figure that SV650's can be reliably built to, the crank is the weak point with high HP motors, even aftermarket...they usually snap on deceleration.

I like the first gen better, they look better too IMO. If you are racing for contingency you need the second gen, but if it is for trackdays and open classes put GSXR forks on it, buy some flatslides if you want more power, do the OEM cam swap, and you will have a fantastic racebike!
    Justin in Barrie...

I've heard that the 1st gen to be the better handler of the two, but then again that's speculation. Either way, I'm happy with my 1st gen, easy to ride, easy on tires, just slow as s___ down the straights.
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Just picked up a 2002sv650 yesterday and its awesome. Its track ready with the right mods done and hopefully get it on the track for the long weekend. Thanks for all the help!!!
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

anyone selling any track body/fairing, please let me know.

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r