Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Re: Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mogeez
    btw. this is the unit I picked up but the one I got also has the clamps for direct to battery connection.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...USB%2BPort.jsp

do they have the version with battery clamps at the store? I can only find the regular cigarette lighter online..

also, how securely does it clamp onto the battery?

They sell two versions of this. One with the lighter adapter only and one with the lighter adapter and with battery clips. They are the same price and the Canadian Tire I went to had a bunch of the one with both the lighter adapter and clips in stock. I go to the one on Yonge Street at Church (across from MTV building)

I haven't used the thing yet, the clamps seem to be a good quality, heavily sprung product like other Motomaster stuff (battery chargers etc.) but yeah they are a little big. I cant see this working while on the bike as there just wont be enough room to put the seat on (07 GSXR) but I plan to use it at night when off the bike anyway...

Hope this helps

My only worry is judging how long this thing can be on before draining my battery. I suppose I could just run the bike when using it but this collides with my other main sorry on my trip of conserving fuel between stations.....hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Mogeez View Post
    My only worry is judging how long this thing can be on before draining my battery. I suppose I could just run the bike when using it but this collides with my other main sorry on my trip of conserving fuel between stations.....hmmm..
    why don't you put the actual inverter under the passanger seat and run the cables through to the battery?

If the clamps are too thick, just cut them and put on some connector prongs that can be held down by the battery bolts like frakeguy said..

probably not a good idea to leave it on all night withouth the engine working
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

I got one of these, split it open and hooked it up directly to the battery without the bulky and ugly lighter adapter. Plug USB cable(s) in it, route them to your handlebar and you are good to go.

And no fairing drilling required either.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    You don't need a relay.
    Put a fuse on BOTH leads. Put the fuse on the positive side right beside the battery and one right beside the plug on the negative side.

The one on the negative side will usually blow first.
    Emgo sells a power port that is smaller and neater than the Crappy Tire one.

Fuses arn't replacements for relays, relays ensure the power is off to accessories circuits when the bike is not on. Esp handy for heated grips where if the bike is left alone and someone decides to flip the switch you don't come abck to a dead battery.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Fuses arn't replacements for relays, relays ensure the power is off to accessories circuits when the bike is not on. Esp handy for heated grips where if the bike is left alone and someone decides to flip the switch you don't come abck to a dead battery.
    +1.

Eastern Beaver sells some nice electrical kits for motorcycles, or build your own relay setup!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    That is correct, but there's another important reason to use relays and that is to prevent overloading the switches and wiring harness. If it was just so it's off when the bike is off you could "vampire" it off the running lights...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I want to install one of these on my bike, as I'm getting a GPS. Does anyone install these professionally? (I'm not handy with this type of stuff).

I picked up a dual socket extension one from CT, cut the plug off, attached a fuse, and epoxy'd the socket to the inside of my front fairing. Keeps it out of sight and weather, only downside is a small risk of the adapters working their way out due to vibration, but if you keep the cord wrapped around something its not a big deal. Haven't had it happen yet as I recall.

I really should install a small relay though, I have made the mistake of leaving the heated grips turned on.

bump.

this adapter looks cool as an addition to a cigarette lighter outlet

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4120e82814en02
    Last edited by Poser; 05-05-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    Simon Says "S T F U"

Waiting for that “Next Thing” means you’d never buy anything.
    **** @iPos3r

That is kinda cool, and cheap

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    That is kinda cool, and cheap
    No, these are cheap.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21890
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23525

Quote Originally Posted by Mogeez View Post
    Thanks Frekeyguy. One question though. What inline fuse do I get (size/type etc.) and how is the fuse installed inline?
    get a small amp fuse.

like a 1amp or 5amp. i've been using a very small amp fuse with my gps and heated grips and cigg lighter charger and haven't blown it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    get a small amp fuse.

like a 1amp or 5amp. i've been using a very small amp fuse with my gps and heated grips and cigg lighter charger and haven't blown it yet.
    ideally, you would size the fuse according to the wire used to power the outlet.

if you use a 14AWG wire to power the 12v outlet, fuse it at no more than 15 amps.

If you fuse it at 1 amp, it'll work for only very low current draw devices, like GPS's and cell phones etc.
    I have a mini/micro tire inflator that draws 7 amps.

Along the lines of
    Last edited by djltoronto; 05-06-2010 at 10:43 AM.

If you want to run an air compressor make sure you have a 10+ amp fuse in line.

~steven - south central 'ssauga

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    ideally, you would size the fuse according to the wire used to power the outlet.

if you use a 14AWG wire to power the 12v outlet, fuse it at no more than 15 amps.

If you fuse it at 1 amp, it'll work for only very low current draw devices, like GPS's and cell phones etc.
    I have a mini/micro tire inflator that draws 7 amps.

Along the lines of

Thank you.

I didn't have acess to that chart or your explanation when I had to pick a fuse.

I am using 14 gauge copper insulated wire with a bosh 30amp relay with a 5amp fuse.

It seems to be working just fine. Should I even bother changing to fuse to a 15amp fuse.

I think the total draw is around 50amps I think. When I use my heated grips + gps + cell phone charger.

And for wire choices I am using either 14 gauge or 12 gauge, it seem to hold up well for stuff like heated grips.
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 05-06-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Thank you.

I didn't have acess to that chart or your explanation when I had to pick a fuse.

I am using 14 gauge copper insulated wire with a bosh 30amp relay with a 5amp fuse.

It seems to be working just fine. Should I even bother changing to fuse to a 15amp fuse.

I think the total draw is around 50amps I think. When I use my heated grips + gps + cell phone charger.

And for wire choices I am using either 14 gauge or 12 gauge, it seem to hold up well for stuff like heated grips.

I trust by 50, you mean 5amps.

Most heated grips I've installed are 40 watts (around 3 amps when voltage is between 12v-14v)

GPS and cell phone chargers typically draw 300mA or less (at 12v)

Of course there is no need to change your existing 5 amp fuse. Just don't try to power anything that requires more than 5 amps - like an air compressor or a power inverter for a laptop etc.

And don't try this, or your fuse will likely pop.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_st...lighter_outlet

at first i thought of doing something like this in trunk area of bike

but then seen this

but rather this one below
    USB, and guessing it has all the break downs inside

but this one below caught my eye, and more interested in definitely doing this instead(4 out 5 can be found at canadian tire), anything i need to know about installing this, as i have no plate light, could i use that wire as a feed, since it would work when ignition is on.
    btw its a usb socket
    Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

couldnt find bigger images, but here is links

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/InteriorCarGadgets/PRD~0374494P/USB%252BWeatherproof%252BPower%252BOutlet.jsp?loca le=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

have one of this in the car over a year or more, and it works really good, charges kids stuff with regular plugs and the usb charges my iphones, no need to buy cigarette lighter adapters for each device.
    but i was thinking if i could cut the cigarette lighter adapter off and hardwire it to my bike straight battery(fuse to be added of course), i know i said straight battery and some are thinking dead batt, but the unit have a power button, on/off(with light).
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

[specifications]
    Includes USB port for charging USB- powered electronics (MP3 player, cell phone, etc.)
    Solid state control circuits provide a maximum 100W of power, 160W of surge capacity and 80W of continuous power
    Ultra-slim design is compact and lightweight for convenient storage and use when travelling
    Auto shutdown protects agaisnt overload, short-circuit, over temperature and low and high battery conditions
    Power light indicator glows blue to indicate the inverter is properly connected to vehicle
    External fuse can be replaced by user in the event of overload
    Includes connector for 12V accessory port
    Last edited by Poser; 05-19-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

Quote Originally Posted by Poser View Post
    but rather this one below
    USB, and guessing it has all the break downs inside
    well i did this one today, $20 canadian tire, did not add inline fuse, as there should be a fuse already at the main box, used the wire for plate light, since it produces current only when key is on, plugged my iphone in and its charging.

in the package it has a bracket around it for mounting, which is removable.
    Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r