Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Anyone know where I can pick up one of those cigarette lighter charging kits to mount on my GSXR? Looking for ease of installation and cheap!

Heading out on a week long trip and would like to install one to charge my Blackberry and Ipod......any better suggestions?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Re: Motorcycle Lighter Charging Kits in GTA?

Walmart, CT, depends what you want (wheather sealed etc.) ...

walmart has one...its actually a cig light. extension cable...

cut the end off, crimp on 2 pluggey things with a inline fuse...total cost about $15

Thanks Frekeyguy. One question though. What inline fuse do I get (size/type etc.) and how is the fuse installed inline?

Fuse type doesn't matter. You can buy either tubes or blades. The tubes are a little more prone to rusting unless you get a weatherproof holder. Buy whatever kind you can find. For size, 10A or less. Since you are just using it for charging small things, 5A is probably more than enough. Just crimp or solder the fuse holder into the positive wire. The closer to the batery the better.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...auto_fuse.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...auto_fuse.html

Holders

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102783

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102786
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 07-22-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Last time I checked u could get those cigarette lighter sockets at C. Tire, along w/ fuse holders.

U could also get them at Princess Auto and Sayal Electronics. The ppl at Sayal is not as helpful tho
    Resident Loudmouth

Thanks Greyghost! So I cut the positive wire and the fuse holder is crimped between putting them back together? or do I just strip the positive area where the fuse holder/fuse is to go and feed it through the holder...sorry for the odd description but this is the main thing that is stumping me.

thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Mogeez View Post
    Thanks Greyghost! So I cut the positive wire and the fuse holder is crimped between putting them back together? or do I just strip the positive area where the fuse holder/fuse is to go and feed it through the holder...sorry for the odd description but this is the main thing that is stumping me.

thanks for the help
    u need to cut the +ve into 2 and them put the fuse between them
    Resident Loudmouth

Go to Canadian tire!... I bought this kit, and an inline fuse holder. Took about an hour to install it, and a few beers before I got the nerve up to fire up the holesaw and take it to the plastics...

Was less than $25 I think for all the parts, its a kit for adding a cig lighter to a pick up truck bed. Found the how to online..

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2318

So I was at Ct last night gathering the supplies to make up this lighter charging system and I came across the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra Slim Power Inverter and descided to go with that instead. Was $39.99 and has a regular plug area as well as USB connection. My thinking is that by the time I spend the money on the parts to make up the lighter charger, then buy the Blackberry to DC connector and the Ipod to DC connector I will be over this $39.99. With the inverter, the charging accesories I have now for these two devices will work.

The inverter connects both to a cigarette lighter as well as comes with clamps to connect directly to the battery. I dont plan or need to be charging my Ipod and BB while I ride and plan to just charge them up at night at my campsite while off the bike with the clamps directly to my battery. I think Ill need to test it out as I am a little worried about how quickly my bikes battery will drain.

Anybody have thoughts on my decision and any potential issues to be mindful of?

btw. this is the unit I picked up but the one I got also has the clamps for direct to battery connection.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...USB%2BPort.jsp

Skurj that looks slick on your bike. Nice job on the SV

I might have to do this to mine. How do you secure things? Velcro ?
    Cheers 'n Beers,
    Haz

Pilot, Photographer, Volleyball player and now Rider...
    Current Ride: '09 Suzuki SV650SA ABS
    Free Sempire!!!!

I've been thinking of doing this as well so I can plug my GPS in for long trips. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet. Not sure if I want to drill into the plastics.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Put a relay on that.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

I have a 12V socket/heated grips and spares for future electrics with this set-up. For a distribution block I used this instead of the RS one so each line is fused as well.

Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Weell, actually I only installed this unit for emergencies only for a cross country trip I took in June. Mainly for the 12v air compressor I was carrying in the event of a flat in the middle of nowhere...

I did have my bberry car charger with me, but i left the thing turned off in my luggage +) it was a vacation afterall...

Turns out in the end I didn't need to use it at all.

few more pics..

where did you buy that fuse block, like to get one.

Thanks
    2008 KLR650, blue 21 aka Thumper.
    2010 Can-Am RT aka Bomur.

You don't need a relay.
    Put a fuse on BOTH leads. Put the fuse on the positive side right beside the battery and one right beside the plug on the negative side.

The one on the negative side will usually blow first.
    Emgo sells a power port that is smaller and neater than the Crappy Tire one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogeez View Post
    btw. this is the unit I picked up but the one I got also has the clamps for direct to battery connection.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...USB%2BPort.jsp
    do they have the version with battery clamps at the store? I can only find the regular cigarette lighter online..

also, how securely does it clamp onto the battery?
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    do they have the version with battery clamps at the store? I can only find the regular cigarette lighter online..

also, how securely does it clamp onto the battery?
    crappy tire has one with clamps...from BELL I think.

But it doesnt have a fuse...and its not very secure. In some cases you might not be able to close the seat down, as the clamps are big...

Why not cut the ends off and crimp on some connector prongs and use the battery bolts to hold them down?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    crappy tire has one with clamps...from BELL I think.

But it doesnt have a fuse...and its not very secure. In some cases you might not be able to close the seat down, as the clamps are big...

Why not cut the ends off and crimp on some connector prongs and use the battery bolts to hold them down?
    I like to avoid doing work that I don't have to, but yea, connector prongs sound simple enough. How would I know if a particular inverter comes with a fuse or not?
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM