Street vs track tires - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Street vs track tires

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Re: Street vs track tires

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    i was speaking more about the race michelin power ones.
    I use the bt-003's as well. how many days do you get out of them?
    I just took this set off yesterday that had 3 Race Weekends and 5 or 6 trackdays on them and were just getting to the wearbars on the right side.. The profile hasn't flattened out and they were still sticking amazing.. I minimize heat cycling by keeping them on the warmers all day and let them cool slowly under the warmers

I took them off at Lunch yesterday and put on a new set of Supercorsa Pro's to scrub in before the next race weekend. But I wouldn't hesitate to put them back on for a trackday.

You be the judge..

Right side of rear

Front

im my opinion the dunlop slicks are the best tires....the pirelli slicks have twice the amount of rubber on them but they wear out quicker and seem to slide around more so than the dunlops...i burned out a new set of pirellis at one day at calabogie this week...and that track is nice to tires....on a track like cayuga and shannonville i found that the pirellis tend to tear with the hard acceleration out of slow corners...as far as the michelins and bridgestones i dont have as much experience with those but the ones i have used wernt anything special... and i wouldnt even consider the dot race tires....because they burn out quicker than the slicks and they tend to slide more due to the grooves...i only got 1 day out of the dots at cayuga..

a close friend of mine who is a top ten pro runs the dunlops as well....he feels the same way as i do about the dunlops...

for me the dunlops are a world above the rest...you get the most out of them with little to no movent out of them even when they are worn down... i would recommend a medium rear tire and a soft front...i get at least 3 track days out of them..(depending on how fast you go you, can get more) ....well worth the money...and pro 6 is by far the best place to get the tires...they will give you a good deal on the tires...i believe the new Ntecs are about 450 but the non Ntec slicks are pretty much just as good and i believe they are around 400 bucks for the set...

talk to Sandy or Joe at pro 6 and tell them i told you to come down..they will give you the best price around....

hope that helped....the track is like crack...only once and your hooked...

Quote Originally Posted by BnASoldier View Post
    im my opinion the dunlop slicks are the best tires....the pirelli slicks have twice the amount of rubber on them but they wear out quicker and seem to slide around more so than the dunlops...i burned out a new set of pirellis at one day at calabogie this week...and that track is nice to tires....on a track like cayuga and shannonville i found that the pirellis tend to tear with the hard acceleration out of slow corners...as far as the michelins and bridgestones i dont have as much experience with those but the ones i have used wernt anything special... and i wouldnt even consider the dot race tires....because they burn out quicker than the slicks and they tend to slide more due to the grooves...i only got 1 day out of the dots at cayuga..

a close friend of mine who is a top ten pro runs the dunlops as well....he feels the same way as i do about the dunlops...

for me the dunlops are a world above the rest...you get the most out of them with little to no movent out of them even when they are worn down... i would recommend a medium rear tire and a soft front...i get at least 3 track days out of them..(depending on how fast you go you, can get more) ....well worth the money...and pro 6 is by far the best place to get the tires...they will give you a good deal on the tires...i believe the new Ntecs are about 450 but the non Ntec slicks are pretty much just as good and i believe they are around 400 bucks for the set...

talk to Sandy or Joe at pro 6 and tell them i told you to come down..they will give you the best price around....

hope that helped....the track is like crack...only once and your hooked...
    I'll check out Sandy if I decide on the Dunlops, I havent been there in a long time since I moved my shop that used to be down the street from them, but Ive know him since I was about 12 years old....He was renting his first location of Pro6 from my father, my dad used to hate me hanging around the bikes.....Theyve always been the place to go for DLops...

I wasnt planning on going right to slicks, but if they are that much better then grooved DOT's what the hell....I dont plan on running in the rain anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I'll check out Sandy if I decide on the Dunlops, I havent been there in a long time since I moved my shop that used to be down the street from them, but Ive know him since I was about 12 years old....He was renting his first location of Pro6 from my father, my dad used to hate me hanging around the bikes.....Theyve always been the place to go for DLops...

I wasnt planning on going right to slicks, but if they are that much better then grooved DOT's what the hell....I dont plan on running in the rain anyways.
    ....just remember....with the slicks, you'll have to setup your bike to run with them. I have an 05 636 with these tires on, and there's a lot of wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    I just took this set off yesterday that had 3 Race Weekends and 5 or 6 trackdays on them and were just getting to the wearbars on the right side.. The profile hasn't flattened out and they were still sticking amazing.. I minimize heat cycling by keeping them on the warmers all day and let them cool slowly under the warmers

I took them off at Lunch yesterday and put on a new set of Supercorsa Pro's to scrub in before the next race weekend. But I wouldn't hesitate to put them back on for a trackday.

You be the judge..

Right side of rear

Front

It still freaks me out how the track surface at TMP "polishes" tires. It just don't look right to me.

Dunlop Ntec slicks are the ****! Anyone that told me I wasnt ready for slick is full of BS! And if theres one thing I learned from this, its take everyones track advice with a grain of salt. Try something and see for myself, cause if I listened to half the people that told me Im not ready for slicks, I would not have gone as fast as I did yesterday...

I dont think I even want to try DOT's now, the slicks were so confidence inspiring it was amazing the lean angles I could hold while still laying power down....And I got used to the funny tire size/profiles and added height after half of my first lap....

My best times on the PP's was between 1:20-1:24, yesterday I banged out a 1:19 my first session on the slicks. And I know I got even faster later in the day. I still managed to kick the rear out and scare a few people, but I found out at the end of the day I was running way too high pressure in the rear....I had 30 hot, the Dunlop tire pressure recommendation sheet someone had called for only 23!.....

Expensive tires but worth every penny!

Anyone that told me I wasnt ready for slick is full of BS! And if theres one thing I learned from this, its take everyones track advice with a grain of salt. Try something and see for myself, cause if I listened to half the people that told me Im not ready for slicks, I would not have gone as fast as I did yesterday...
    Yeah, I have a friend who's been a pro for years and ran track days as well..always said he thought the best thing for track day riders was to run slicks. His logic was they're the best tires for going fast and every rider, particularly newish riders, could use the extra safety margin they provide. I personally just want tires that slide predictably, whatever tire that may be. If they give warning and slide slowly and predictably, that's what I want. Lap time isn't so important to me..for me it's more to find what happens when the bike starts to slide.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

You're not ready for slicks!

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    You're not ready for slicks!
    I'm ready for this!!!

I will see your big wheel, and call, with:

"green Machine"! I so need that, but it needs a motor

Meh..I don't ride Krapasakis....

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Meh..I don't ride Krapasakis....
    Why? Are they too fast for you?
    *~Maggie~*

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    I was just gonna say mine goes pretty good! LOL

I was just gonna say mine goes pretty good! LOL

I noticed too...as you passed me in corner 10ish.
    *~Maggie~*

I noticed too...as you passed me in corner 10ish.
    I remember passing a few riders with long hair hanging out the back of their helmets....Pink on the leathers also gave some girls away. There was 3 females in the intermediate group, I think?..LOL

No, the green makes me throw up after looking at it for a few seconds.. I have to say..the new tech in the Green Machine makes me want to switch to Krapaski.. check out the rear wheel steer and dual joystick steering!!! Not to mention the superior traction offered by a real rubber tire...

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    No, the green makes me throw up after looking at it for a few seconds.. I have to say..the new tech in the Green Machine makes me want to switch to Krapaski.. check out the rear wheel steer and dual joystick steering!!! Not to mention the superior traction offered by a real rubber tire...
    They come in other colors too you know....LOL And the green grows on you trust me, I never wanted to have a green one...