Street vs track tires

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Street vs track tires

Street vs track tires

Since its my first track day I was set on running the PP 2 CT that is already on my bike, just because Im new, I figured the least amount of new stuff the better...

However my friend that doesnt ride anymore but used to do quite a few track days, stopped by to look at my bike setup...And he was saying that if I "really want to have fun" I should try running track tires not street tires...He says I will have alot more confidence and when the street tires get hot, I will be sliding around unlike the race tires. And I know hes right about the sliding, because they start to slide on the street on a hot day when they get really hot...

So opinions? Should I bother getting race tires? Or just run street tires for my first time out....

Re: Street vs track tires

buy some scrubs, but make sure you save some money for your SOAR license. Round 4 is just around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    buy some scrubs, but make sure you save some money for your SOAR license. Round 4 is just around the corner
    For the price I see people selling beat to **** scrubs for, Id rather just pick up a new set.....New suit, new gloves, new boots, brand new bike, used tires! Not my style....Not to mention when my friends used to race or do track days, Id get scrubs for free or close to it....

Any suggestions for tire brands? And who has them

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    For the price I see people selling beat to **** scrubs for, Id rather just pick up a new set.....New suit, new gloves, new boots, brand new bike, used tires! Not my style....Not to mention when my friends used to race or do track days, Id get scrubs for free or close to it....

Any suggestions for tire brands? And who has them
    all the brands are good and have their own unique characteristics. I started this year off on Pirelli's but have used Dunlops (DOT's) for the last 2 SOAR rounds and have been very happy with them. The dunlops slide around a bit more, but are very predictable. We ran a set during a 3 hour endurance race, and they seemed to get better grip later in the race.

If you wanted to go with slicks, DVu is selling some new sets dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    all the brands are good and have their own unique characteristics. I started this year off on Pirelli's but have used Dunlops (DOT's) for the last 2 SOAR rounds and have been very happy with them.

If you wanted to go with slicks, DVu is selling some new sets dirt cheap.

DVu? And generally how much is a set of race tires?

Go with slicks.

They'll last longer and they perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Go with slicks.

They'll last longer and they perform better.
    Thanks now just point me in the exact direction, ie brand/price/and where to buy them

DVu? And generally how much is a set of race tires?
    DVu, is a member on here...I saw his ad on the cherrypicker site. Don't think he posted it here though. He was asking 250.00 for brand new sets. Not sure what size you need, but his were 125 fronts and 195 rears.

you're going to pay $400+ for anything new retail.

the Dunlop set that DVU has is an outstanding deal if you can get them.

Seems like I will be in the minority here, but since it's your first time out I would suggest just using your PP 2CTs (that's what I have). They are a good inbetween street/track so I can't really see you going wrong with them... If you decide to get into trackdays more then go for slicks for the obvious reasons.

If it's raining, your 2CTs will be better anyway.

m2c
    there is no spoon

+1 on just using the tires you have.
    You would have to be going pretty quick to cook those tires, and even then lots of fast folks go plenty fast on Pilot powers.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    +1 on just using the tires you have.
    You would have to be going pretty quick to cook those tires, and even then lots of fast folks go plenty fast on Pilot powers.
    Its not about being fast, its about having confidence....I dont want to be sliding around half way through the day on PP's, if I can get a set of scrubs for $50-100....

Like I said the PP's get slippery on me on the street, I can only see them getting more slick on the track....Its not the end of the world but I could possibly crash letting the rear kick out. And I assume there would be less chance of that with a race tire that is not going to start to slip as they get hot...

Its not about being fast, its about having confidence....I dont want to be sliding around half way through the day on PP's, if I can get a set of scrubs for $50-100....

Like I said the PP's get slippery on me on the street, I can only see them getting more slick on the track....Its not the end of the world but I could possibly crash letting the rear kick out. And I assume there would be less chance of that with a race tire that is not going to start to slip as they get hot...
    Dulops FTW.

I'm running the new 211 NTecs this year and the amount of power i can put down at a good lean angle is amazing.

Not cheap though..

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

It's not about tires sliding.. All tires will slide depending on how hard you push them. Even Soft DOT Race tires or slicks will slide. (Just Ask DaveP )

I like the BT-003R Type 3s (Medium Compound) because they last a long time and slide very predictably and evenly front and rear provided you have your pressures set right. I found the same thing with the Pirellis (Except the long lasting part)

That was what I hated about the Power Races, Great Grip, but would break loose without warning.
    (Never tried the Dunlops)

As far as street tires on the track I've only used the Original Pilot Powers (Not 2CT) and the Bridgestone BT-016s.

The BT-016s were very predictable and slid very progressively and controllably. The Pilot powers tended to snap loose getting on the throttle coming off the corners .

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    The Pilot powers tended to snap loose getting on the throttle coming off the corners .

Just my 2 cents
    Yes exaclty.... It is about sliding around for me, and not knowing when they are too hot....On the street I know they are getting hot because in a corner, I push the front and **** myself.....I only assume I will be comming in hotter on the track, which could end up with me crashing not just getting spooked....

Basically Im not worried about any kind of rear wheel sliding, that is fun for me....Im worried about pushing the front, no matter how much I do that it I can never get used to that like I did rear wheel sliding...

I'm on my second set of BT016's and very pleased with them... they're reasonably priced and stick like glue once you get them scrubbed in. For my next set i'll try the 003's. Then slicks when i get another set of rims with rain tires on them lol.

SUNNY#525
    www.tracksidecuts.com
    www.stoopidracing.com

www.981FreeFM.ca
    www.rocketfireworks.ca

http://www.womex.ca
    www.soaracing.com

Thanks to our 2012 sponsors: 98.1 Free FM, Rocket Fireworks, World of Motorcycles Expo, Trackside Cuts, RaceLine Custom Racing Leathers, 2Ride Motorcycle Magazine, Hindle Exhaust, Motion Pro Inc., WIZ Racing and Slightly Stoopid Racing

Don't you have to change the geometry of the bike if you swap over to slicks because of the wider profile of the tire? I've just been reading up on slicks lately trying to decide between them over dot tires. I ended up sticking with dot tires instead.

If you have money to spare, the Dunlop 211 N-tech like Caboose mentioned seems to be the best tires out there that offers excellent grip and a longer tire life(at least compared to Pirelli.) Pro6 Cycles is the main distributor for Ontario I think or at least around the GTA.

Alot of racers recommend sticking with street tires if you are just starting trackdays but I agree with most of the posters here and would recommend going to dot tires or slicks. They grip alot better and not prone to get greasy as much as street tires. Someone is selling a set of Diablo Supercorsa for like $200 in the classified(they retail for $440 before tax). Looks to be pretty good if the tire really only been used for 10 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny750 View Post
    I'm on my second set of BT016's and very pleased with them... they're reasonably priced and stick like glue once you get them scrubbed in. For my next set i'll try the 003's. Then slicks when i get another set of rims with rain tires on them lol.
    +1 I'm running those too. Not that I'm all that fast but they have done everything I've asked of them at the track

I'd say ditch the 2ct's just to overcome the mental hurdle, if not anything else. I used to ride on 2ct's at trackdays and they were good tires, but I couldn't get myself to push harder because I lacked confidence in the grip, even though I knew people who were putting down alot faster times then me on the same tires. I knew the tires were capable of more, it was just the mental thing. Once I started running dot's, I felt more confident and went faster. The fact that you've had some sliding with your current tires will mess with your head at the track, so just for that piece of mind, I'd say switch em up.

As for which tires you should switch to, everyone has there own preference. You really just have to try them out for yourself. All the major brands (Pirelli, Dunlop, B Stone, Michelin) make excellent DOT's, they just have different characteristics.
    Last edited by Seoul Man; 07-21-2009 at 01:27 PM.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy_750 View Post
    Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa Pro's = Cheap great track tire.
    Get'em at Orion Motorsports out of Barrie. I think they're $360.00 - $380.00 / set shipped to your door. Your PP 2CT's will do just fine though. I've seen guys fly around the track on those, that's what fast school uses on their bikes up at Shannonville. Once up to Track temperatures (not street) they'll stick!
    I think they reduced their price, I think they were about $360 installed at the last SOAR round.
    I called Kevin @ Orion to see if I can get a set before friday, Never tried then before but friends that use them like them and the SV Cup guys seem to have no problems with them..

For anyone using the Supercorsa Pro's ,, how's the life running soft front / Med Rear