'06 SV650S won't fire up

Thread: '06 SV650S won't fire up

'06 SV650S won't fire up

Bike: '06 SV650S

Issue: Bike was running fine one day, next morning it fired up and ran for about 3 seconds, then quit. Haven't been able to get it started since.

So far:
    Checked kill switch, it's on.
    Checked fuel. There's still a few litres in the tank.
    Turn key, injectors pressurize. After the initial few seconds, the dash goes to the typical default (i.e. no warning lights, no FI flashing warning indicator, etc.) All seems normal.
    Hit the starter and the bike cranks at a good speed. Should be plenty fast enough to fire up.
    Pulled the spark plugs, they look fine. Checked gap, good. Checked for spark, looked good. Could smell fuel when I did this test, so it seems like fuel is reaching the cylinders.

So, there's definitely spark, there appears to be fuel (although I can't be 100% certain it's reaching the cylinder), bike cranks fine, but it just won't start. It doesn't even sound like it's trying to fire (i.e. no cough, or almost start, or firing on one cylinder). The bike cranks and it's like there's absolutely no fuel or no spark.

Electronics are bone stock, no Power Commander, no TPS, nothing.

Buttoned it back up, and not sure where to go from here.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by beverage; 07-18-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Re: '06 SV650S won't fire up

Bike is running.

Was checking cranking voltage with plugs installed. Voltage seemed fine, but after checking the voltage, I snugged up the battery terminal connections. They were pretty tight anyway, but I gave them an extra 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

For the heck of it I tried starting the bike again, and I could hear it was actually trying to fire. A few more cranks and it caught. Ran rough for the first bit, but sorted itself out. I let it thoroughly warm up, then stopped and restarted it no problem.

Not sure if it was fluke and I have an intermittent problem, or if I have a weak battery, or if my connections were just not tight enough. In any case, things seem to be working fine now.