My buddy was rear ended on the QEW - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My buddy was rear ended on the QEW

Re: My buddy was rear ended on the QEW

Quote Originally Posted by Acuratech View Post
    Happy to hear your buddy is alive to tell his story and hope he rides again after this trauma wears off. The bike can be replaced !

Accidents like this is why we wanted an Awareness Ride in the city streets of Toronto, to opens everyones eyes, hey we want part of the road, we want to live, we enjoy riding but your killing us slowly. The last ride was scheduled on May 09/09 but got rained out. Maybe it's time to organize another ride and get the media to notice 500 plus bikes in one place.

Anyone agree ??

I'd be in for this for sure!! I'm sure I can get a good group together as well, so let me know if I can be of any assistance!

"It is as hard to see one's self as to look backwards without turning around"

Good to hear ur buddy is ok!

When we tried it in May it was still cold and not the best riding weather, only about 40 riders signed up, not enough to make a difference. This is something that has to be well organized and a great speaker for the media. Shaun De Jager was involved also and a great speaker. I'm still up for this as I was back in May. Not to be an annoyance to motorists and not to be an angry group of riders cursing cagers. A happy group of riders trying to raise awareness. No point will ever be made if were angry in front of media and cagers. We need to do something positive, no one else is doing anything, and riders die every week, almost all dying from left turns lately.
    I'll talk the DeJager and see if he wants to do this again

Quote Originally Posted by hedkandy View Post
    I'd be in for this for sure!! I'm sure I can get a good group together as well, so let me know if I can be of any assistance!

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.

Hope your friend is okay and that he has no injuries.

We all have to look in our mirrors when stopped at a red light, stop sign or just in traffic. Alot of these cagers are stupid and we can't trust them to stop in time.

Ride safe.

Glad to hear your buddy is ok and nothing major happened. Your right about car drivers. Put down the phone and makeup and whatever else you have in your hands. Just because your safe in your little box doesnt mean we the bikers have the same protection

Ride safe be safe

i wish ur friend a speedy recovery. the charges laid on the lady are not enough. $350 for almost killing someone?!? cops should've suspend her license.
    i'd be in for the awareness ride.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

OMG those pictures are really frightening.There was a story written today in my cities newspaper(Chatham Daily news)about inattentive drivers and there impact on motorcyclists in our community,Chatham-kent.
    I can't believe that cell phone use while driving hasn't become illegal,how many more accidents have to occur before this law is passed?
    And I must agree that the penaltys these people pay for their actions(injuring or killing)riders is a joke!
    Sorry for the rant and hope your buddy is alright.
    R.J
    big wack

Glad to hear your buddy will be okay.

I was rear ended in my car by a guy in an F350 talking on his cell phone. The bastard didn't even get off the phone when he got out of the truck. The car was totaled and I spent 6 months in rehab. If I was on the bike I would of been dead. I F**King hate people who don't pay attention while driving.

If you guys organize the "Awareness Ride" I'll be there.
    Last edited by Maverickflyer; 07-17-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Glad to hear everything turned out well.
    Same happened to me, also on te QEW, but i was beside the car in front of me when it got rear ended.
    (been in a close calls before, now i split the lane until i'm sure the traffic behind stops)

For anyone on Facebook, Dejager has > RoadAwareness.ca
    http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=m...id=72548943419

I just found out that this was my friend John K! I have known him since grade school. This is sickening how many drivers are out there not paying attention.
    05 GSXR1000 Ltd. Edition all Back
    92 GSXR1100 All Black
    86 GSXR1100 All Red Sold
    96 Camaro Z28SS Blk/Blk
    72 Chevelle SS 454 Blk/Blk

Phone use is illegal in some places already, like out east. She should get her license suspended and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
    I'd go to court in my gear, hellish ya!

I'd also be up for ride, so, +4.

P.S Corey, nice ride, looks familar....

When we tried it in May it was still cold and not the best riding weather, only about 40 riders signed up, not enough to make a difference. This is something that has to be well organized and a great speaker for the media. Shaun De Jager was involved also and a great speaker. I'm still up for this as I was back in May. Not to be an annoyance to motorists and not to be an angry group of riders cursing cagers. A happy group of riders trying to raise awareness. No point will ever be made if were angry in front of media and cagers. We need to do something positive, no one else is doing anything, and riders die every week, almost all dying from left turns lately.
    I'll talk the DeJager and see if he wants to do this again
    I think we can get a good group together if we pick a date soon and start planning .... maybe for mid August or so?
    There is a possibility I can get some coverage from CITY TV, so I will speak to my source and see if we can work it out. If we get some good numbers, they would come for sure!!
    We definitely need to keep it positive. Lets make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by silent_vik View Post
    i wish ur friend a speedy recovery. the charges laid on the lady are not enough. $350 for almost killing someone?!? cops should've suspend her license.
    i'd be in for the awareness ride.
    You're right, $350 and points are not enough! They take bikes and cars away and suspend licenses for speeding over 50, but when someone texts or makes phone calls and injures or kills people, they get a slap on the wrist! I truly believe that they should give automatic suspensions for cell phone use while driving a vehicle! Maybe then people will think twice before picking up that phone!
    We are not asking for much ..... just asking that you use your hands free device and stop texting while driving!! This alone will save so many lives and will prevent so many unnecessary accidents and injuries!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo75085 View Post
    OMG those pictures are really frightening.There was a story written today in my cities newspaper(Chatham Daily news)about inattentive drivers and there impact on motorcyclists in our community,Chatham-kent.
    I can't believe that cell phone use while driving hasn't become illegal,how many more accidents have to occur before this law is passed?
    And I must agree that the penaltys these people pay for their actions(injuring or killing)riders is a joke!
    Sorry for the rant and hope your buddy is alright.
    R.J
    We as motorcycle riders are trained to be aware of our surroundings and to always be looking out for driver errors, but when someone slams us from behind or comes into oncoming traffic or many other scenarios, there really is not much of a chance for us, so it's time that drivers stop putting our lives at risk and start paying attention!! ( I say we, as motorcyclists, but they are also putting every other driver at risk as well )

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickflyer View Post
    Glad to hear your buddy will be okay.

I was rear ended in my car by a guy in an F350 talking on his cell phone. The bastard didn't even get off the phone when he got out of the truck. The car was totaled and I spent 6 months in rehab. If I was on the bike I would of been dead. I F**King hate people who don't pay attention while driving.

If you guys organize the "Awareness Ride" I'll be there.
    WOW, sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you are doing much better now!!
    When we concrete dates for this awareness ride, we will let everyone know!
    I am thinking such a ride would be a great success ..... did I just quote Borat?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Glad to hear everything turned out well.
    Same happened to me, also on te QEW, but i was beside the car in front of me when it got rear ended.
    (been in a close calls before, now i split the lane until i'm sure the traffic behind stops)

For anyone on Facebook, Dejager has > RoadAwareness.ca
    http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=m...id=72548943419
    Glad you are ok!

Quote Originally Posted by DVS Bullet View Post
    I just found out that this was my friend John K! I have known him since grade school. This is sickening how many drivers are out there not paying attention.
    Yeah, it's Johny ... I just spoke with him and he was happy to hear about all the support and wanted me to say thanks to everyone .. so THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by koFFey View Post
    Phone use is illegal in some places already, like out east. She should get her license suspended and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
    I'd go to court in my gear, hellish ya!

I'd also be up for ride, so, +4.

P.S Corey, nice ride, looks familar....
    It's true! When a driver picks up a phone to text or call while driving, they are willingly putting all drivers and riders in their vicinity at risk, so yes, the charge should be far more severe!!

I see you have great taste in bikes

You know, I'll say one thing ..... my ex taught me how to ride and always told me to be aware, check my mirrors, keep my bike in gear, watch for people making left turns when entering an intersection and many more great pointers ...... I appreciated the advice, but now more than ever I am grateful for all her wise words!! I wish more of us had people like that around when we start riding, cuz I can say on a few occasions, the advice she gave me, has saved my life!! If she reads this .... thanks for that

I hope all of us who meet new riders, take the time to talk to them about things like this that may save them as well!

Ride safe everyone and always do what you can to help your fellow rider!!

Guys we will post something up soon in another thread regarding an awareness ride as this thread is meant for fallen riders and in memory of and we are all kind of getting off topic. As for media attention if you have access see what happens. We as bikers do not have much of a reputation and almost all media does not see anything interesting unless we are bleeding or have missing limbs. I will post ASAP , remember we need numbers, 20 or 30 or 40 will not cut it.

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.

Very sorry to hear about your friend and I'm glad he's going to be okay. This is the 2nd time this week I've heard of a driver hitting someone because they were on their cell phone.

good to hear that the person didn't try to run...little too much of that happening lately...i drive into work every day, dundas, qew, you name it, all sorts of routes...the way people drive, yeah, you gotta keep your wits about you...i did more riding in last year and just treated it like frogger, just get the hell out of the way, cause people don't actually care that they have hit you, they just feel bad...glad you only got a few bruises, looks like it could have been worse...buy a lotto ticket...

Good to see so much support! If it goes to trial, I will definitely post the date!
    Thanks for the offer everyone!!
    sweet...group ride!

Guys we will post something up soon in another thread regarding an awareness ride as this thread is meant for fallen riders and in memory of and we are all kind of getting off topic. As for media attention if you have access see what happens. We as bikers do not have much of a reputation and almost all media does not see anything interesting unless we are bleeding or have missing limbs. I will post ASAP , remember we need numbers, 20 or 30 or 40 will not cut it.
    Sounds good ... I'll keep an eye out for it!
    I will try my best to get a good bunch out!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDraGon View Post
    Very sorry to hear about your friend and I'm glad he's going to be okay. This is the 2nd time this week I've heard of a driver hitting someone because they were on their cell phone.
    Happens every single day my friend

Quote Originally Posted by DucDic View Post
    good to hear that the person didn't try to run...little too much of that happening lately...i drive into work every day, dundas, qew, you name it, all sorts of routes...the way people drive, yeah, you gotta keep your wits about you...i did more riding in last year and just treated it like frogger, just get the hell out of the way, cause people don't actually care that they have hit you, they just feel bad...glad you only got a few bruises, looks like it could have been worse...buy a lotto ticket...
    Would have been hard to run with a motorcycle sticking out of her grill .. lol

Have a great weekend everyone ... should be great riding weather

Corey!

(I just realized this is you)

What a story, I'm glad you both aren't physically hurt. Stay well.

*Up on one.

-Maj

I'm also glad to hear this incident didn't turn out worse than it did but also equally ****** about idiots on the phone or txting or whatever while driving.

I'm all for us getting more organized to draw attention to issues such as paying attention to not only the road but the people we share it with. I think here in the city core aligning ourselves with cyclists would be politically prudent. I personally think the best way for us to either plan a ride or look at a campaign to get media attention and popular support would be to either meet, or organize on roadawareness.ca, or a ning site, or even just share a google doc that we can flesh out what we want to do. I think that'd be more effective than doing what we've been doing which is have this discussion over many weeks across many threads.

Though back to trying to prevent being rear-ended, I try and stop really early and force the vehicles behind me to stop as well. Sometimes this pisses people off, but it always gives me room to move forward if they don't see me slowing down early. Young Driver's teaches this as aggressive defensive driving.

Yeah, he was very lucky!!
    She was charged with Careless driving, so I think she loses 6 points and approx $350 ticket.
    Gotta watch for people like her ... grrrrrrrrr
    Its a $250 fine and 6 points but the kicker is that she will plead guilty to a lesser charge and probably get 3 points and keep the fine at $250 due to the seriousness of the accident. Thats what happened to me when a guy made a left turn into me. Its totally BS!!!!
    Oh ya BTW the guy that hit me was also on his cell phone and even after the accident he still remained on his cell phone according to wittenesses.

Sorry to hear about your friend but I am glad to hear he is ok.