My buddy was rear ended on the QEW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My buddy was rear ended on the QEW

My buddy was rear ended on the QEW w/pics

We were riding west on the QEW just east of South Kingsway in stop and go traffic on Tuesday night around 7:30pm and came to a stop ..... just as I stop I hear a screatching of tires, so look in my mirror and see my buddy looking behind him ..... and then WHAM .... a BMW slams into him and I see him flying forward over his bike and landing in the middle lane directly in front of a moving vehicle ..... some how, that vehicle swerves a bit and comes to a stop in order to avoid running my buddy over. He was so scared, he crawled back to the passing lane and then flopped on his back .... this all happened in a matter of maybe 3 seconds, but it was like it was happening in slow motion! ..... I was thinking OMG .... he's gotta be in bad shape, so I get off my bike right away and run over to him, grab his hand and ask him if he is ok ..... all he said was "I'm so f*#*#ing lucky" ..... HE WAS! This could have been so much worse!!
    The lady in the BMW must have been on the phone, cuz we were only going a few hundred feet before stopping for the past few kilometres.
    My buddy is very sore and his bike is a right off, but he's alive and he's thankful to be able to walk away from this, but WTF is it going to take for people to realize they are driving machines that can kill people? Is that text message or phone call really that important? Can you not get a head piece and call handsfree?
    Every day I see people looking down while texting or reading a newspaper or doing something else they should not be doing while driving and I keep thinking " he/she is going to kill someone"
    I'm happy my bud made it through, but the police said if she hit him 6" to the right or left his bike would have most likely pinned him and then she would have driven over him and crushed him ..... could you imagine a guy enjoying his bike and riding safely gets killed because some one made a phone call or texted someone? ..... well it happens all the time and people need to smarten up and concentrate on driving when driving and leave the text and phone calls for a time when they are not operating a huge machine like an automobile!
    My bud just got back on the bike after a 10 year absence and was loving every ride he took! He has been riding for 2 weeks and couldn't stop talking about how much he missed riding and how happy he was to be back on the bike, but after the accident, he's thinking he won't return to the bike. He's afraid of people like her! I think he needs to do what feels right for him, so if he doesn't feel safe on the bike any longer, then he needs to let it go. It just sucks that he can no longer do something he loves because of this lady's decision that a phone was more important than the road ahead of her ... it's a shame!

If we can learn anything from this, please keep your bike in 1st gear and hand on the clutch when you are stopped and the car behind you is still moving and keep your eye on your mirror and make sure you give yourself a route of escape, until the car comes to a complete stop. This way if they do not stop, you can move forward and get out of the way, before they get to close!

Ride safe everyone!!

Last edited by hedkandy; 07-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.

"It is as hard to see one's self as to look backwards without turning around"

Re: My buddy was rear ended on the QEW

Insane story, glad to hear your buddy is relatively speaking ok. It certainly could have been much worse.

Last week I saw a chick doing her make up... sorta. She was curling her effing eyelashes with an eyelash curler !!!!!

???????

I didn't even know what to do. I just gave her the thumbs up and pretended to stroke my long blond hair and she got the picture. I guess she could see the sarcasm through the helmet and then stopped the eyelash curling. At least for the period of time that I was near her. I got the hell out of there.

Im sure the charge will be very light despite the fact that she nearly had your buddy killed by throwing him off his bike and into a live lane.

Wow! It's a good thing it wasn't more serious like he said it could have been!
    I hope your buddy heals up and gets back on 2!

I'm glad your bud's ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    Last week I saw a chick doing her make up... sorta. She was curling her effing eyelashes with an eyelash curler !!!!!
    I was in my car one day and saw a friend of mine in her Kompressor in the next lane over doing her eye makeup in stop-n-go traffic, you know, looking into the vanity mirror in the driver's visor. I let her know how I felt about that stunt the next time I saw her.

OP, sorry to hear about your friend and his bike, but glad that he is relatively physically unharmed from this incident.

Sorry to hear about your buddy. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    Indeed once your shook up from something like this, it's hard to get back on a bike. I hope he follows his instinct.

Great advice Hedkandy.
    "Work it harder make it better, do it faster makes us stronger.
    Now that that don't kill me, can only make me stronger!"

Banned

F()<K this, we should have our own lanes on highway and street, if this fcukery keeps up, damn, you ****** he ****** im ****** we ****** but that dont do nuttin (nothing), i usually flash my brakes a lot of times before i stop, you should pursue to get the police dept., to check her phone invoice, to check if she was on the phone at the time of her fcuk up. So we can ALL get together and be heard on National TV that we are scared to DIE. get some motorcycle awareness signs out there and kids on the roads drive slow signs, or we are gonna have to take action by force, i aint scared of NOBODY attitude, ya know.
    well the last part was dramatic but thats just how i feel.
    if anyone of my riding group got rear ended by that woman, she would have felt some pain too(girls in my group would pound her and take off).
    to be continued.......

First off, glad your friend is relativley OK, coulda been much worse. LUCKY GUY. It amazes me how many people I see driving and texting, prolly over a dozen or more a day ATLEAST. Now we need the police to start enforcing that new law, and maye we should as a group start a petition to have the punishment increased. KNOWINGLY endangering other drivers is unacceptable. I would put this on par with drinking and driving. If all your gonna get is a ticket(a slap on the wrist) people will take that calculated risk just so they can text. Take their license and impound their vechile and they'll never do it again. And I always leave it in first, scan my mirrors and leave myself an escape route when stopped, thanks RTI .

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

At least your buddy alright!

Speedy recovery!

[QUOTE=IXFe;977579]I was in my car one day and saw a friend of mine in her Kompressor in the next lane over doing her eye makeup in stop-n-go traffic, you know, looking into the vanity mirror in the driver's visor. I let her know how I felt about that stunt the next time I saw her.

Glad you let her know how you felt ... maybe she will think twice next time.
    A friend of mine was pulled over last week for texting while driving .... got a careless ticket and 6 points. I think she just learnt a valuable lesson

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdrinker View Post
    F()<K this, we should have our own lanes on highway and street, if this fcukery keeps up, damn, you ****** he ****** im ****** we ****** but that dont do nuttin (nothing), i usually flash my brakes a lot of times before i stop, you should pursue to get the police dept., to check her phone invoice, to check if she was on the phone at the time of her fcuk up. So we can ALL get together and be heard on National TV that we are scared to DIE. get some motorcycle awareness signs out there and kids on the roads drive slow signs, or we are gonna have to take action by force, i aint scared of NOBODY attitude, ya know.
    well the last part was dramatic but thats just how i feel.
    if anyone of my riding group got rear ended by that woman, she would have felt some pain too(girls in my group would pound her and take off).
    to be continued.......
    I heard flashing your brakes a good idea, so have been doing that myself lately.
    Believe me, I gave this lady and earful and so did the police .... they also gave her a careless ticket,which came with a loss of 6 points

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119 View Post
    First off, glad your friend is relativley OK, coulda been much worse. LUCKY GUY. It amazes me how many people I see driving and texting, prolly over a dozen or more a day ATLEAST. Now we need the police to start enforcing that new law, and maye we should as a group start a petition to have the punishment increased. KNOWINGLY endangering other drivers is unacceptable. I would put this on par with drinking and driving. If all your gonna get is a ticket(a slap on the wrist) people will take that calculated risk just so they can text. Take their license and impound their vechile and they'll never do it again. And I always leave it in first, scan my mirrors and leave myself an escape route when stopped, thanks RTI .
    I was talking to a friend of mine who is also a police officer today, as he came by my place to say hello .... he told me that even thought they passed the bill for cell phone use, they haven't started enforcing the law just yet, so instead they are giving the careless ticket. He was telling me there was a study done in Germany which proved that drivers talking on the phone were more dangerous than impaired drivers (not to take away from the dangers that come with impaired driving) It just shows how dangerous cell phone use can really be when operating a vehicle!
    I agree with you, that the vehicle should be impounded! They are intentionally putting the rest of us at risk, just like when they drink and drive!!

Thanks to all of you for your support and kind wishes ... my friend will be happy to hear about the response!! Hopefully he finds his way back on 2 wheels one day
    Last edited by hedkandy; 07-16-2009 at 03:27 PM.

I think they should publicly humiliate these ppl. Put their name and pic so all can see. Who knows, maybe if u see her on the road u will change lane and get the **** out
    Resident Loudmouth

ybnormal

Corey,

OMG, your friend is lucky for not loosing more than a bike that day. Was the lady charged with anything? Like careless?

Quote Originally Posted by ybnormal View Post
    Corey,

OMG, your friend is lucky for not loosing more than a bike that day. Was the lady charged with anything? Like careless?
    Yeah, he was very lucky!!
    She was charged with Careless driving, so I think she loses 6 points and approx $350 ticket.
    Gotta watch for people like her ... grrrrrrrrr

omg, Corey, so sorry to hear about your friend! That must have been terrifying to be thrown off of his bike into another lane. I'm so glad to hear that he is okay.

If that driver tries to fight the carless charge in court, make sure you and/or your friend try to be there with those pics you took.

$350 ticket got to be a joke for those BMW drivers. We should get all the motorcyclists to attend the trial. Post up the date and I'll try to make it there in my riding gears. That should make a strong statement.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    we should get all the motorcyclists to attend the trial. Post up the date and i'll try to make it there in my riding gears. That should make a strong statement.
    i'm in!

$350 ticket got to be a joke for those BMW drivers. We should get all the motorcyclists to attend the trial. Post up the date and I'll try to make it there in my riding gears. That should make a strong statement.
    I second this...

OP, hope your friend is alright and is able to overcome this traumatic accident.

You shoulda post this woman's face so we know what she looks like and avoid her...
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
    I second this...

OP, hope your friend is alright and is able to overcome this traumatic accident.

You shoulda post this woman's face so we know what she looks like and avoid her...
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119 View Post
    i'm in!

+3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R1girl View Post
    omg, Corey, so sorry to hear about your friend! That must have been terrifying to be thrown off of his bike into another lane. I'm so glad to hear that he is okay.

If that driver tries to fight the carless charge in court, make sure you and/or your friend try to be there with those pics you took.
    Hello stranger .... my friend was definitely and I think still is a little shaken by this, but he made it through and thats what he's most happy about
    If she fight I will definitely be there and so will the lady who almost hit my friend in the other lane, as she saw everything .... I think they have 3 witnesses plus me, so should not be a problem .... plus, the lady in the BMW admitted that she wasn't looking straight ahead

Good to see so much support! If it goes to trial, I will definitely post the date!
    Thanks for the offer everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
    I second this...

He's doing well today, but he hasn't been able to go back to work yet as he is still shaken!

I should have taken one .... that would have been great ... lol

Happy to hear your buddy is alive to tell his story and hope he rides again after this trauma wears off. The bike can be replaced !

Accidents like this is why we wanted an Awareness Ride in the city streets of Toronto, to opens everyones eyes, hey we want part of the road, we want to live, we enjoy riding but your killing us slowly. The last ride was scheduled on May 09/09 but got rained out. Maybe it's time to organize another ride and get the media to notice 500 plus bikes in one place.

Anyone agree ??

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.