2 Chargeable Accidents (apparently)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Chargeable Accidents (apparently)

2 Chargeable Accidents (apparently)

Hey there,

So apparently I have two at fault accidents on my record

That being said my current insurance company will not give me motorcycle insurance as I would need my motorcycle license for at least 2 years.

TD and Statefarm declined me insurance.

Any recommendations as to what to do next would be awesome!

Thanks!!

Re: 2 Chargeable Accidents (apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Hey there,

That being said my current insurance company will not give me motorcycle insurance as I would need my motorcycle license for at least 2 years.

Thanks!!
    You say "apparently" as if you are falsely accused. Were you in at-fault claims? The insurer should be able to tell you when.

Contact CGI and ask for a copy of your accident report. It is free for you to order once a year (or something like that):

http://www.cgi.com/web/en/industries/insurance.htm
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Hey there,

Thanks!!
    If these were in your car, you may want to try a broker who writes with Jevco, Kingsway General and/or Facility, none of these carriers rates for your auto accidents on your bike.

Avi
    Last edited by Avi Singh; 07-16-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    You say "apparently" as if you are falsely accused. Were you in at-fault claims? The insurer should be able to tell you when.

Contact CGI and ask for a copy of your accident report. It is free for you to order once a year (or something like that):

http://www.cgi.com/web/en/industries/insurance.htm
    I say apparently because I don't feel that one of the accidents was my fault. But when weather is the issue, what can you do

Hey there,

Thanks!!
    I don't think any company can "decline" to insure you, but they can set the rate so high you decide to not take it.

If you have problems with the weather wait until you get a bike. Every single vehicle accident is your fault. It doesn't matter if you hit oil in a corner, you are at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    I don't think any company can "decline" to insure you, but they can set the rate so high you decide to not take it.
    Yes, the insurance company can decline you if you don't meet their underwriting criteria, which is approved by the regulators.

If you do not meet the underwriting criteria for any standard or non-standard insurance company, then you go to the Facility Association, which is the pool for the crappy leftovers that no one else wants to write. They will take absolutely anybody, and there losses are shared amongst the entire insurance industry.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

I say apparently because I don't feel that one of the accidents was my fault. But when weather is the issue, what can you do
    All single-vehicle accidents are at-fault claims; otherwise people will always blame the weather.

Talk to Facility, they will insure you.......for a high price. Companies can decline you if you do not meet the underwriting guidelines. Some companies can decline you with only 1 at fault accident and a few tickets and/or cancellations for non payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Smalls08 View Post
    Talk to Facility, they will insure you.......for a high price. Companies can decline you if you do not meet the underwriting guidelines. Some companies can decline you with only 1 at fault accident and a few tickets and/or cancellations for non payments.
    If all he has are two at faults, depending on his driving record (I'm assuming since he said he was only dropped to a 5* that it's not too bad), Facility would not be the best choice. There are numerous "grey area" insurers such as Perth, Pafco and Kingsway all that would be better bets than Facility.

All single-vehicle accidents are at-fault claims; otherwise people will always blame the weather.
    It wasn't a single vehicle accident.

It wasn't a single vehicle accident.
    OK, I should clarify; all single-vehicle and weather-related claims are considered at fault. We live in Canada and the weather gets bad quite frequently; you are allowed to drive at discretion.

OK, I should clarify; all single-vehicle and weather-related claims are considered at fault. We live in Canada and the weather gets bad quite frequently; you are allowed to drive at discretion.
    I understand what you are saying, however, what I am saying is that it sucks that I am at-fault for an accident that in reality was not my fault.

I understand what you are saying, however, what I am saying is that it sucks that I am at-fault for an accident that in reality was not my fault.
    I don't know the details of your circumstance, but it is hard to say that you're not at fault in most weather-related collisions. You're supposed to drive according to the conditions at all times. If during a winter storm someone lost control and hit you head on, would you not consider that their fault? Would you blame it on the ice, or the fact that the other operator wasn't driving according to the conditions?

I don't know the details of your circumstance, but it is hard to say that you're not at fault in most weather-related collisions. You're supposed to drive according to the conditions at all times. If during a winter storm someone lost control and hit you head on, would you not consider that their fault? Would you blame it on the ice, or the fact that the other operator wasn't driving according to the conditions?
    A police officer has the choice, I believe, of issuing fault, no-fault or weather. Where under weather the insurance company still records it as fault. Therefore, to answer your question, I would blame it on the ice. But someone has to pay for it and due to the circumstances of what happened, it would be the person who skidded.

A police officer has the choice, I believe, of issuing fault, no-fault or weather. Where under weather the insurance company still records it as fault. Therefore, to answer your question, I would blame it on the ice. But someone has to pay for it and due to the circumstances of what happened, it would be the person who skidded.
    You are correct. For the purposes of laying a conviction, the police can attribute the cause to weather. You are also correct that the judgement by police has nothing to do with the determination of fault in a claim.

If someone hit me in the winter time, I wouldn't care if the ground was covered in ice and it was white-out conditions, I would still blame the other driver. If conditions are bad enough for someone to blame their loss of control on the weather, then IMO they simply shouldn't have been driving that day, or they weren't driving according to the conditions (i.e. by reducing speed, increasing braking distance, having proper tires, etc.).

If there was only one car, then there's only one driver to take the blame. It's pretty simple really. The car is a machine, it doesn't move by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    If there was only one car, then there's only one driver to take the blame. It's pretty simple really. The car is a machine, it doesn't move by itself.
    Actually, the OP said that it wasn't a single vehicle collision. I am guessing he hit a patch of ice or something and slid into another person. Regardless, the principle that "the machine doesn't move itself" still holds.

I may as well explain what happened:

It was snowing outside and the roads were not paved. A van up ahead cut off a bus, the bus braked very hard. Another van behind the bus also braked very hard and skidded 90 degrees, covering all the other lanes. The guy in front of me braked and skidded to avoid the van. I braked and skidded to avoid that guy in front of me and ended up rear ending him a little.

No matter what I say I suppose you could rationalize it so that it is in reality my fault. However, I personally don't think there was anything I could do to avoid hitting him.

Regardless, in the end it's chargeable...so be it

I may as well explain what happened:

It was snowing outside and the roads were not paved. A van up ahead cut off a bus, the bus braked very hard. Another van behind the bus also braked very hard and skidded 90 degrees, covering all the other lanes. The guy in front of me braked and skidded to avoid the van. I braked and skidded to avoid that guy in front of me and ended up rear ending him a little.

No matter what I say I suppose you could rationalize it so that it is in reality my fault. However, I personally don't think there was anything I could do to avoid hitting him.

Regardless, in the end it's chargeable...so be it
    If you were swerving to avoid an obstacle on the road (i.e. the van that was covering both lanes) then I would argue that you weren't at fault. Did you try disputing the fault assignment with you claims adjuster?