Ontario Insurance Increase - Toronto Star

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Insurance Increase - Toronto Star

Ontario Insurance Increase - Toronto Star

Re: Ontario Insurance Increase - Toronto Star

Quote Originally Posted by James Daw, Toronto Star
    Rick McCombie, a senior vice-president at Co-operators in Guelph, said the COSECO division needed larger increases because more of its clients are in the Greater Toronto Area, where losses have been higher.
    You crash and claim, we all pay.

DmeGA

I had two accidents with my car and I tried to settle it cash and it worked the first time but the next time it was a girl and she was willing to settle through cash but she wanted $3000 for the car and $1000 for her I was like forget it I had to claim it. I had it checked out and it would of cost $1400 to have it fixed. That's when I was young and dumb never drive after surgery.

ajdomi, thanks for posting the interesting article
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

My mom made a claim on my minivan 2 years ago (fender bender ~$1k damage) and now my brokerage is not carrying my original provider. They are trying to change insurance companies for me and my rates are tripling (yes, 250%-300% increase).

WTF, I paid extra for the insurance on my insurance and not having my rates go up after a claim and they've some how found a way to raise the rates anyways.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    My mom made a claim on my minivan 2 years ago (fender bender ~$1k damage) and now my brokerage is not carrying my original provider. They are trying to change insurance companies for me and my rates are tripling (yes, 250%-300% increase).

WTF, I paid extra for the insurance on my insurance and not having my rates go up after a claim and they've some how found a way to raise the rates anyways.
    If you have accident forgiveness with your current insurer, switch brokerages so that you can simply continue your policy. The broker is simply trying to write you with another one of his/her companies so that they don't lose your business. Just because your broker is no longer dealing with your company, it doesn't mean that you can't continue your policy. Which insurance company (not broker) are you with?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Viffer is right, call some brokers who deal with the company you're presently with. In most cases they can simply transfer your policy over and you can continue with your present rates.

Avi
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

This article is a slightly misleading. Insurance companies are not raising rates because they lost money last year, but because of the prospects of losing money in the future. We rely heavily on investments to bridge the gap between losing money and making money. Given the current market conditions, it is pretty obvious that we won't be able to bridge the gap so easily in the next year or so.

Thanks for the advice.

Just got off the line with another broker. Turns out I didn't have accident forgiveness on the automotive policy (I do have it on my motorcycle policy with another insurer) so they dropped my rating to 5* even when renewing with same insurance provider.

Rates went from ~$1500 to $3800 for my '04 Montana minivan.
    Last edited by Car2Slo; 07-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80

Thanks for the advice.

Just got off the line with another broker. Turns out I didn't have accident forgiveness on the automotive policy (I do have it on my motorcycle policy with another insurer) so they dropped my rating to 5* even when renewing with same insurance provider.

Rates went from ~$1500 to $3800 for my '04 Montana minivan.
    No problem, glad to help out.

Most insurer's have a six-star driving record system. If your insurer only dropped you to five stars (rather than zero) for an auto claim, then it sounds like you qualified to partial accident forgiveness (which perhaps was offered to you for free, perhaps due to loyalty to the company). With that being said, it seems very surprising that your rate would jump so high with the partial accident forgiveness. Who is the insurance provider (not the broker)?

Pilot insurance.

Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80

Pilot insurance.
    Avi, do you write Pilot policies?

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Avi, do you write Pilot policies?
    Yes I do.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    Yes I do.
    What is the maximum on the Pilot Driving Record system? Do they employ the standard six-star rating? It seems strange the the OP would be charged such a high premium when he is being rated as a five-star operator.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    What is the maximum on the Pilot Driving Record system? Do they employ the standard six-star rating? It seems strange the the OP would be charged such a high premium when he is being rated as a five-star operator.
    9* is max.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    9* is max.
    I see. Do they offer a partial accident forgiveness that sees your Driving Record drop to only a 5* in the event of a claim?

Just got my car insurance renewal notice from TD, it's gone up 336/yr, I have a 00 Jetta with clean records, no accident since 01. New total would be 1477/year, am I the first victim of unfair rate hike?
    Last edited by shah; 07-17-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

Banned

so there is a forecast to raise rtes, yet the industry is fighting to cut down your monies in the event of a crash. cutting the non-catastrophic claims to a max of 25,000 (down from 100,000), cutting income replacement, cutting catastrophic injury caps, cutting the amount that will be paid for medical documents (did you know that McMaster charges a minimum $175 for a copy of any record, and that goes up by the size of the copy requested)

I would demand a new, lower rate from my ins. co. if the requested legislation changes go into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    I would demand a new, lower rate from my ins. co. if the requested legislation changes go into effect.
    You wouldn't have to request a lower rate; the overall rates would decrease by default as a result of the cost savings. Even if a company did not want to decrease rates after such a legislative change, it would be forced by the regulators.