Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

I have recently joined the GTAM community and have spent a lot of time online checking out what people think about motorcycling, life and many other things in general and even have meet quite a few members in the process. Unfortunately every week someone mentions (not as a topic but in a post) that they have been laid-off or out of work(me included) and with the current economic climate I find it disheartening since there will be even more and the prospects of getting work now is harder.

Since I'm always thinking about my current situation, which happens to be that of many others, I'm sure GTAM members who may know of existing vacancies, if aware, may give the occasional heads-up to these vacancies where they work, a simple post maybe saying hey I work at .... and we are looking for a ..... or I know .... is looking for a ....., this could be a window to the hidden job market. I can surely say every little bit helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

Re: Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Sounds like a good idea.

Best of luck in your job hunt, and I hope you find a job that you enjoy soon
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I guess I'm one of those people too. Been laid-off for almost 2 months now, and am finding it hard to wake up and do the same crap everyday with little to no good leads.

I think it would be a great idea to make a "jobs" forum.

On a somewhat related note, i've been surprised by the amount of help i've received on this board, and from people that i've never even met, which is surprising, with the way I act on here.
    *Event and Wedding DJ*
    *VERY competitive rates*
    PM, or email: theperfectmix@live.com

Send me a PM with your email info so I can send you a referal to or company database.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

I quit my job 2 weeks ago...and I'm laughing! HAHAHA, best decision ever.

Banned

well now, Yetti was debating starting a thread like this...

Yetti is in the same situation

15 freaking years in hydraulics, and whammo. I was first one out.

next closest in senority was 7 years... hows that for crap.

non-union, they kicked out the guy who made the $$$ and kept the other 14 guys ( if you put them all together they still couldnt produce a sentence in English )

yeah, Im Still Bitter. Been out since March

Yetti - Have you looked into going after them for wrongful dismissal?

Unless you gave them a reason, union or not they still can't pull that ****.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    well now, Yetti was debating starting a thread like this...

Yetti is in the same situation

15 freaking years in hydraulics, and whammo. I was first one out.

next closest in senority was 7 years... hows that for crap.

non-union, they kicked out the guy who made the $$$ and kept the other 14 guys ( if you put them all together they still couldnt produce a sentence in English )

yeah, Im Still Bitter. Been out since March
    If I knew this sooner, I could have contracted you to fit the hydraulics on the back of my Dad's Kubota tractor (for a backhoe attachment)
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
    I
    I think it would be a great idea to make a "jobs" forum.
    No sarcasm intended but its called workopolis

www.workopolis.com

There are also several placement agencies that will look for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Ju-C View Post

www.workopolis.com

Agreed, we don't need a forum for everything. We have too many as it is.

Although an "antics" forum featuring Aisu and yettiman would be fun.

I think toybm started a good thing here. I've messaged the admin(s) recommending a new section relating to this. If anyone else wishes to send a quick note to a moderator...by all means. An area where folks can post job opportunities which may or may not be public at the time of post, or for those who are looking.

Quote Originally Posted by link666 View Post

although an "antics" forum featuring aisu and yettiman would be fun.
    ++++1000!!

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    Agreed, we don't need a forum for everything. We have too many as it is.

Although an "antics" forum featuring Aisu and yettiman would be fun.

www.workopolis.com

No sarcasm intended, but I'm sure anyone looking for jobs has already done the Workopolis, CareerBuilder and the placement agency stuff. However, the intension of this post was not to duplicate Workolpolis or any of those services but it was an attempt to tap into the hidden job market resource, a resource that can be made available by other GTAM members, who I'm sure will be willing to help. The hidden job market represents a larger percentage of available jobs out there than those actually advertised.

It's something that members could do to help each other, hell, we give so much advice to each other on things about bikes, insurance, the law, why not help with something that will ensure members continue in this great thing we call Life and Motorcycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

www.workopolis.com

Statistically, sites like workopolis are the #1 worst way to look for a job...Mainly because the job listing that you're looking at, is being veiwed by at least a hundred other applicants (some more qualified than you), at the exact moment that you're looking at the same posting.

When this thread was started, my assumption was that it was going to allow people to tap into the unseen job market. Kinda like member's helping out other members, before posting things online.

I started my career as a result of a job posting on this board. Our beloved member JP (god rest his soul), posted a job here, and gave me the opportunity based on nothing other than the fact that we both rode bikes, and were both on the same board. No interview, no reference check, just a handshake from him, and a statement of "you seem like a good guy, so the job is yours if you want it".

Fast forward 5.5 years...I worked my way up the ladder by building a rapport with the right people. Once again, I didn't have the education, or experience, but was given an opportunity to work in an entry level Marketing job. Now I have a solid foundation of Marketing experience, with a very well respected company in my industry, and it was all because someone posted a job on this board.

Now imagine how different things would have been if that job was posted on workopolis?...

The recession and the rate of unemployed is something we all face, and something many of us are suffering from as a result. When you look at it like that, a job forum, is more pertinent than 99% of the content on this board. Also consider that motorcycling is "leisure" for most people, and made possible as a result of having a job. For some, the loss of a job, means the loss of a motorcycle, and from the way people have talked about their bikes on here, it's something that many would choose to not give up.
    Last edited by Guy Fawkes; 07-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    *Event and Wedding DJ*
    *VERY competitive rates*
    PM, or email: theperfectmix@live.com

Anyone have Solid J2EE experience and want to work in the performance tuning side of things? 50% code, 50% coordination.
    Premium dude......PREEEMMIIIUMMMMM!!!!

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Not motorcycle related so off to romper room it goes and yes it is an good idea so i will sticky it for you as well.
    Where i am we are looking at a lay off in a few weeks so.. no jobs that i am aware of but i will keep my ears open.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

First off, it is a really tough market out there and I feel for all those who are unemployed or facing layoffs. If anyone here needs help with a resume, PM me. I am a freelance technical writer and I have done a lot of resumes over the years. Generally, if I can fix the resume easily, I don't charge anything. And frankly, I am not likely to charge anything these days in hopes that what I do can help someone and in turn, those who are helped can help someone else.

I have to say too that although I am still working on projects for some of my clients, most of my market is holding off on new projects. For me, having freelanced for quite a few years, the only safeguard that I have is to plan for those slow times. To that end, the best approach I have found is to pay off all debts and build up a survival fund.
    Last edited by K1200RS; 07-20-2009 at 11:14 AM.

ybnormal

I realize that most people would be resourceful enough to check out Workopolis, Toronto Jobs, etc.

I have to say that going through an agency, ie- Apple One, Robert Half, etc. is really a great idea. They don't charge you and they sell you. The chance of you getting an interview by faxing/e-mailing in your resume somewhere is less than if a recruiter hands your resume in and tells the employer that they think you are a good match. It's worth exploring.

Have someone look at your resume and cover letter, especially if they are doing it for free. Find a friend, a smart friend, that can read your resume critically. Anyone that will read your resume and say, it's great, is probably not doing a good job. You need the criticism to make it better, as hard as it may be to take.

www.jobbank.gc.ca

Also try the HRDC job website. I don't think they charge for job postings so there are many there. This site is often overlooked. This is my favourite site of them all, when I'm in the out.

For those who are in receipt of EI or have in the recent past, you are fortunate for the programs available to you. One of the BEST ones I have used, is that the Canadian Gvn't is willing to pay any employer half your wages for up to six months if they employ you. This sells you right away. I don't have the info program but contact your local HRDC centre and they should be able to provide it to you (if it is still available, I'm not sure with all the recent legislative changes).

Good luck to all.

I know someone who is looking for help during the garbage strike.. not sure what it's going to be like after, but if anyone wants details, PM me and I'll give you the details.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Worth a shot.. been out of work for a little while now and I've been trying so hard to find a new job. My wife is expecting our first child in 2-3 weeks which makes things even worse financially. Anyways, here it goes.

I have 2-3 years legal and administrative experience. I'm looking for any entry level admin or anything available that is not related. I'm a computer savvy and technical guy. I'm willing to branch out and try something new if its possible.

Anything will do in these tough times.
    Last edited by TRIGGA; 10-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.