TMP Cayuga track day questions? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TMP Cayuga track day questions?

Re: TMP Cayuga track day questions?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    that simply means he is the only one that can sell the pictures on site. I don't see why another photographer couldn't be stationed somewhere else on the track so long as the pictures are not being sold at that very event.

Dave P.
    Ok now that makes sense! And what are you getting for $20? All raw pics of yourself on CD or actual prints

not to put any pressure on you, but i've been wanting to see you on a track forever.
    Your throttle control + bike sense (ie-balance, weight adjustment) + stunter balls = amazing track skill.
    I figure you'll be running hot by the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    not to put any pressure on you, but i've been wanting to see you on a track forever.
    Your throttle control + bike sense (ie-balance, weight adjustment) + stunter balls = amazing track skill.
    He might as well just start the day off in hot shoe, crazy guy has no fear...
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Ok now that makes sense! And what are you getting for $20? All raw pics of yourself on CD or actual prints
    For the most part the ones Tim sells are raw pics, he touches a few of them up for lighting issues etc... but nothing fancy. He burns you a CD with all your images on it.

TMP Trackdays: Tim Duquette
    - Good quality raw pics

MJ Trackdays: Brennan Shortall @ BCS Photography
    - Pay a bit more but every pic is unique and digitally touched up, he mails a CD to you after your happy with what he's done. Some of the best shots i've ever gotten so far

SOAR: Don @ Royal Images
    -Good shots, turtle cam, pace truck cam, prints made quick for fair price
    SOAR Novice #113

you should look into the Track School that Donald and the others host - track riding is a lot different than street riding.... even more so than stunting

but don't hesitate to ask the seasoned tracksters for some advice, they'll be more than glad to give you some pointers.
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    LOL thanks for the encouragement but I dont think I will be instantly fast, I have alot of things that Im going to have to get used too before I worry about getting fast...I dont think I would fit in beginner for too long as alot of people have trouble keeping up to me on the street, alot of them have been to the track... Id probably fit in best in the middle...I know I can be fast but I have to hone it out..The only reason Id want to be in the fast group is to follow the fast guys, and see the lines they are takin...

Mainly I have to get used to riding in full gear, boots are going to be tough as Im used to wearing skate shoes, and having tons of feedback from the rear brake...Putting on a suit make me feel invincible, and I almost feel like crashing just to see how less painfull it is compared to crashing in jeans and a T-shirt...LOL

Anyways its something Ive put off for too long, but right now Im really exited about it after watching the racing at Motorycle Mayhem. Some of my other stunt friends are now thinking of joining me aswell...Its gonna be a really nice change from street riding, to be able to push hard not having to worry about sand in corners, bad pavement, stupid drivers, etc etc, and having the luxury of being able to run off onto the grass if you mess up without having curbs in your way..

About the boots, my boy Jackson has 3 pairs of old boots for me to try...Im hoping one of those will work for me so I just have to buy gloves..As Im staring to think I should look into race bodywork for the bike...Anyone know if anyone has race glass for 09 ZX6R's in stock locally? Last thing I want to do is wreak my Monster Ed fairings....

About the boots, my boy Jackson has 3 pairs of old boots for me to try...Im hoping one of those will work for me so I just have to buy gloves..As Im staring to think I should look into race bodywork for the bike...Anyone know if anyone has race glass for 09 ZX6R's in stock locally? Last thing I want to do is wreak my Monster Ed fairings....
    Locally? Not likely.

Best bang for your buck is Armor Bodies. That'll probably run you about $600-$700 for the set. If not that you can look into OPP, Sharkskinz or Flexiglass (canadian). I have Flexi stuff on my 10 and it fits beautifully and has held up well through 3 crashes now.

Used stuff is a good route. Keep an eye on the WERA board for used 08+ 10R or 09+ 6R bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Locally? Not likely.

Best bang for your buck is Armor Bodies. That'll probably run you about $600-$700 for the set. If not that you can look into OPP, Sharkskinz or Flexiglass (canadian). I have Flexi stuff on my 10 and it fits beautifully and has held up well through 3 crashes now.

Used stuff is a good route. Keep an eye on the WERA board for used 08+ 10R or 09+ 6R bodywork.
    Just got off the phone with John at RC and they have a set that was sent to them wrong....Im pretty sure he said it was Shakskinz, and Im going to go see them after work....

Only thing is I think he said they have a super bike tail, so I assume that means getting used to just a foam padding for a seat...hummm

squidskins told me he would make me a set for $625. The other ones are all around the 8-900 range

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    squidskins told me he would make me a set for $625. The other ones are all around the 8-900 range
    I dont see 09 stuff on Squids site thou........$1000 for the Sharkskins and John says "Its expensive but its the best"

I dont see 09 stuff on Squids site thou........$1000 for the Sharkskins and John says "Its expensive but its the best"
    He's not wrong.

Sharkskinz, Flexiglass and OPP are all in the $900-$1000 range and they are all top of the line stuff. If it's local and you can go check em out and pick them up that is definitely a bonus.

The superbike tail is a non issue. It is a very firm seat but once you roll out of the pits onto the track i guarantee you wont even notice it. Your mind will be very much focused elsewhere. A bonus is that having a firmer seat makes it easier to shift your body around on the seat. You dont have to lift your butt "out of" the seat before you can move right or left.

See if John has some seat foam material there for you too.

+1, there's only like 3 times where your but will actually be on the seat!

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    +1, there's only like 3 times where your but will actually be on the seat!
    You gonna be there to show me the technique? LOL

Exclamation Re: TMP Cayuga track day questions?

Don't forget to put your gopro's on your helmet..(forward AND back) to catch all your action !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GSXMAER View Post
    Don't forget to put your gopro's on your helmet..(forward AND back) to catch all your action !!!!
    Thats a good idea! That didnt even cross my mind...Thanks for the suggestion!

Track days are complicated and I havent even done one yet, just trying to get ready for the first one...I hope I dont forget anything!

All I need to do is swap coolant for water, and since Im gonna remove all the lights to put the race bodywork on no taping besides the speedo....Anything else?
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 07-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Thats a good idea! That didnt even cross my mind...Thanks for the suggestion!

Track days are complicated and I havent even done one yet, just trying to get ready for the first one...I hope I dont forget anything!

All I need to do is swap coolant for water, and since Im gonna remove all the lights to put the race bodywork on no taping besides the speedo....Anything else?
    If you've got a back protector bring it with you, oh and your back tire needs more than 12psi this ain't stunting! When you first get there put your bike in 3rd or 4th gear and just practice being smooth and learning the track. Be prepared for a new addiction, this ones likely not as expensive as stunting... Have fun and stay off the rear brake!
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    If you've got a back protector bring it with you, oh and your back tire needs more than 12psi this ain't stunting! When you first get there put your bike in 3rd or 4th gear and just practice being smooth and learning the track. Be prepared for a new addiction, this ones likely not as expensive as stunting... Have fun and stay off the rear brake!
    I have a Alpine star tech back protector that I bought years ago and never wore, so I'll bring that for sure...

FYI I run about 30 psi front and rear for stunting, it goes up and down in the back but I like to keep it between 27 and 30 but never below 25. under 20 psi is for beginners who have trouble steering the bike at slow speeds, once you get good you want more psi so you can dip into circles and get more lean angle on the gas....The more pressure you can get used to running the better, then you can do everything from slow wheelies, to fast wheelies, to drifting without having to change your pressure.

And track riding is way more expensive then stunting man, dont fool yourself it takes more to do track days then stunt in parking lots....way more time, prep, money, everything!

Sorry cant stay off the rear, its natural for me to use it now, stunting or street riding....Saying do use it is like saying dont breath. I would literally have to remove the brake pedal to stop me from using it to control the rear wheel speed...I wont be locking the rear doing 180 slides, but I will use it when I feel I need too....Not by choice but subconsciously
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 07-17-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Sorry cant stay off the rear, its natural for me to use it now, stunting or street riding....Saying do use it is like saying dont breath. I would literally have to remove the brake pedal to stop me from using it to control the rear wheel speed...I wont be locking the rear doing 180 slides, but I will use it when I feel I need too....Not by choice but subconsciously
    Heed his advise.

Using the rear brake is not without it's merit however its very much an acquired skill and not everyone can do it or even needs to.

For track riding you really don't want the rear brake to have any bite. Sticking with the stock rubber lines or even bleeding some air into the lines are ways to help with this. You really dont want to be able to lock up the rear even if you have the pedal all the way down. You don't have as much tactile feel through your boot so it's harder to control the rear brake than the front. Making it soft makes it a lot more forgiving. Dragging the rear brake can really help you on corner entry with trail braking, especially on left hand corners as well as corner exit to tighten up your line.

I woudlnt reccomend trying any of this on your first track day.

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

I got in **** for usin mine (V***e) but I didn't have an issue with it.
    John has waaaaaay more control than I so I don't see it bein a problem.
    Cayuga seems to me- watchin others that it isn't a track that u use alot of brake so...
    I dunno.
    You should set ur speed b 4 entering the corners anyways ...right. So how is rear braking an issue then ????

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !