TMP Cayuga track day questions? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TMP Cayuga track day questions?

Re: TMP Cayuga track day questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    have you crashed in them?

Good boots will be on my feet before the next round. My ankle is still swollen and purple from a minor crash on saturday. Sidi's are junk. Havn't checked out the nexo's but I'll take the opinion of someone who has crashed in the particular protective gear I'm looking for.

yes, at a high rate of speed and into the forestry. I know they're not the best, but anyone who says they offer the same protection as a skate shoe is exaggerating quite a bit. At the *very least* they cover more of the ankle, leg, and will protect you from some rash. The side to side is not very good off the foot, when on it seems a little better. I'll be spending more next time for sure, but I'm not uncoformatable finishing another season in these.
    Last edited by [evo]; 07-14-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    yes, at a high rate of speed and into the forestry. I know they're not the best, but anyone who says they offer the same protection as a skate shoe is exaggerating quite a bit. At the *very least* they cover more of the ankle, leg, and will protect you from some rash. The side to side is not very good off the foot, when on it seems a little better. I'll be spending more next time for sure, but I'm not uncoformatable finishing another season in these.
    The nexo's are garbage.... And on that note so are the Puma 1000's, complete waste of money and there faling apart even with loctite. GARBAGE!
    SOAR Novice #113

Daytona's or Dainese are the only way to go.You don't have to spend $1.000 either.Daytona Evo Sports are $300 cheaper and just as good.Should be a lot of,i'm really looking forward to it.Pray for good weather.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

If Im going to spend money on boots, Im going to spend at least $300. I dont want crap boots, as Ive just experienced first hand how easy it is to mess up your feet. I fell at like 120km/h not too long ago wearing running shoes, and I messed up my big toe pretty good and could not walk on it for almost 2 weeks. And even thou its good enough to walk and ride on now, its constant pain or disscomfort, and I dont think it will ever be the same...

And just this Friday I witnessed my friend make a silly mistake at slow speed that has ruined his summer. I put a new rear tire on for him and some other parts, and he was all exited..Started the bike and took it around my shop, he turned the corner around the back and the bike shut off so we knew he went down....He was only going about 40 km/h when he gassed it and the rear kicked out becuase of the brand new tire, then pitched him off...He got caught up on the bike and it landed on his big toe....He called me from the hospital and told me straight up "My big toe exploded, Im done"....Some part of the bike crushed his toe, and it split open on the bottom, top and both sides, the nail got squeezed off and there are multiple fractures....16 stiches and its still bleeding 3 days after being stiched...

He showed me a picture from his cell phone from when he was at the hospital, and its the most discusting thing Ive seen happen to a toe. Makes my toe injury look like a walk in the park, looks like someone literally smashed it with a sledge hammer and it exploded...Im gonna ask him if I can post it...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    And even thou its good enough to walk and ride on now, its constant pain or disscomfort, and I dont think it will ever be the same...
    Yeah, I broke my big toe mountain biking..basically a seriously stubbed toe..fractured it down the middle of the bone..never been the same. And you never really realize how important your big toe is until it doesn't work so good anymore...
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Johnny, I've got Size Eur 43 Daytonas and Eur 43 Sidi's (they fit like a 9.5/10) and a Eur 56 Spyke Suit (US 46) (fits 5'8-5'11"' 180-200lb) you can borrow if in a jam. Just PM me if you need it. I have back protector and Med and large gloves too.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    The nexo's are garbage.... And on that note so are the Puma 1000's, complete waste of money and there faling apart even with loctite. GARBAGE!

Agreed, (the Puma 1000) they are very comfortable and I was happy with them the first couple of time I wore them but bits keep on falling off. I have crashed in them and didn't have any injuries to my ankles / feet but I don't know if that was just the nature of that crash.
    Racing on the weekend I put them on for the qualifying round and noticed that one of the ankle bolts was missing. It's a good thing I noticed because without it there really isn't any protection on that boot.
    I'm replacing the Puma's in the next week or so ....
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Ultimately, my price/performance preferences will lead me to a pair of dainese torques.

I own and have crashed in the Oxtar EVO's and have to say I am very impressed with the protection they offer. They took awhile to break in and never really fit my wide feet perfectly, but the ankle protection was impressive and they were arguably the best bang for your buck in terms of safety. Oxtar is now called TCX Boots, and they cost abit more now, but their mid-level Competizione S model is priced well and uses the same torsion control system as the RS model.

I've retired the Oxtars for a pair of A Star Supertechs and although I havent crash tested them, I would say they offer very good protection. They require almost no break in and are super comfortable. They cost alot, but STG sells them for less then what they advertise (can't remember exact price).

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I was at Riders Choice today.. I looked closely at the A* Supertech R's ,, They thing I didn't like was the ankle protection on the inner boot was made of thin plastic and rubber.. you could fold them in half at the ankle.. When I tried them on, I could fold my ankle all the way inward. No better than my SIDI Vertigo Corsas.

Next to them were the Daytona's ,, Incredible boots but out of my price range..

Then I started to have a look at the Dainese's The Torques and the Axial Race's are very similar in concept.. The Axial's use a inner brace made of carbon fibre and kevlar, the torques use a external brace made of stiff plastic..
    On the Axials, the carbon fiber completely surrounds the heel and goes all the way down the outside to the bending point, the carbon toe cap then surrounds all the toes. The shin brace is attached and hinged using metal hinges.. You cannot fold these over at the ankle.

The Axial also uses more Leather while the Torques use more synthetic leather.

In neither of them could I roll my ankle inwards.. I would me comfortable riding the track in either of them...

I walked out with the Axial Races.. With the sale , they were only $35 more than the Torques were pre sale.
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 07-15-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    I was at Riders Choice today.. I looked closely at the A* Supertech R's ,, They thing I didn't like was the ankle protection on the inner boot was made of thin plastic and rubber.. you could fold them in half at the ankle.. When I tried them on, I could fold my ankle all the way inward. No better than my SIDI Vertigo Corsas.

Next to them were the Daytona's ,, Incredible boots but out of my price range..

Then I started to have a look at the Dainese's The Torques and the Axial Race's are very similar in concept.. The Axial's use a inner brace made of carbon fibre and kevlar, the torques use a external brace made of stiff plastic..
    On the Axials, the carbon fiber completely surrounds the heel and goes all the way down the outside to the bending point, the carbon toe cap then surrounds all the toes. The shin brace is attached and hinged using metal hinges.. You cannot fold these over at the ankle.

The Axial also uses more Leather while the Torques use more synthetic leather.

In neither of them could I roll my ankle inwards.. I would me comfortable riding the track in either of them...

I walked out with the Axial Races.. With the sale , they were only $35 more than the Torques were pre sale.
    OTD price on those? Lots of stock left?

John has given me the fold the boot over at the ankle demonstration before, even thou I never planned on buying boots in my life..LOL
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 07-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    OTD price on those? Lots of stock left?

John has given me the fold the boot over at the ankle demonstration before, even thou I never planned on buying boots in my life..LOL
    They were $490 OTD,, (Normally $655 OTD) But the Torques would run $320 OTD...(Normally $428 OTD)

They had good stock left in most sizes but with the pricing they have they're selling lots.

Honestly, if your just doing some track days the Torque Outs are better suited for you IMO.. But either ones are great boots..

I went with the Axial Races because you wear your leathers in the outside and they attach to the boots with velcro, and because between racing and track days I do about 30 days on the track a year now.

I was looking for a Dainese Laguna Suit too but all they had left of the clearance ones in my size was one in Power Ranger Blue

You can see the differences between the two below..
    (They only carry all black for the most part)

Axial Race

Torque Out

I am attending the july 26 trackday at TMP, and a friend is coming with me. He is an amateur photographer and is putting together his portfolio. He mainly shoots MX, he actually just came back from Red Budd MX in michigan 2 weeks ago. My question is what do I need to do or who do I need to contact in order to get him out on the track at TMP to get some photo's?
    Thanks!!

Contact TMP
    They have an exclusive track day photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post
    I am attending the july 26 trackday at TMP, and a friend is coming with me. He is an amateur photographer and is putting together his portfolio. He mainly shoots MX, he actually just came back from Red Budd MX in michigan 2 weeks ago. My question is what do I need to do or who do I need to contact in order to get him out on the track at TMP to get some photo's?
    Thanks!!