Airport Rd. to Wasaga Beach

Thread: Airport Rd. to Wasaga Beach

Airport Rd. to Wasaga Beach

Anyone recently ride up Airport Rd. to Wasaga Beach? What are the road conditions like? Construction? Weekend traffic?

Re: Airport Rd. to Wasaga Beach

There is always weekend traffic. Airport rd is one of the worst ways to get to Wasaga on weekends. Lots of OPP, and the hills make it difficult to pass at times
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Not so much worried about cops or passing...plan on following the rules of the road (for the most part). More concerned about dangerous road conditions.

Alternate M1 friendly route?
    Last edited by theprocess; 07-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.

I've done that ride. The road is fine and I went at a non-busy time so I didn't experience any traffic delays.

I heard that there's construction just before Stayner...road is dug up and its just dirt for 1km stretch.

Just did Wasaga run from Kitchener yesterday. Road is dug up for a kilometer or 2 just below Stayner but other than the dust, doesn't present any issues.
    Dual-sports have the option of exploring some of the wild roads to the west of Airport Rd between Hwy 9 and Stayner. Head for the hills and be prepared for breath taking views and heart stopping gravel roads with drop away hills and sneaky turns at the bottom.
    400+ kms yesterday and aside from the less than desirable temps, it was an awesome ride.
    Ok....there was a wicked section of No Winter Maintanence road where while trying to avoid a massive mud hole, I ran up a bank and when I ran out of room, simply fell over...into the mud...that I was trying to avoid.......snapped a hand guard off........found that mud was only 6" deep.............

As of last night, Airport Rd from just before Avening to Cashtown is all gravel and really dusty. If on a SS I'd avoid it. North of Cashtown I don't know what they have done if anything. To miss this part use Rd 21 to 124 zone or some of the paved sideroads on the east side do link up. (2nd, 3rd, Wesbster, Centre Rd..... are paved). For sure the Terra Nova area into grey Highlands west side of Airport is wicked on dp's. Rd 17 eastbound from Mansfield is resurfaced now too after being closed for a couple months it seems.

I rode on Hwy. 27 up to Elmvale near Wasaga and it's a nicer ride than Airport Road.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Anyone still wanting to use Airport Rd. to get up, my I suggest heading thru Terra Nova, and then back to Airport Rd. thru Creemore.

Also, why passing by Creemore, its a great place to stop in a quiet town, there is a nice bike friendly cafe there called Affairs Catering Bakery & Cafe, they make some wicked butter tarts, and alot more, you can park right out front, town has a few nice places and a park at the end of the street where you can sit right by the stream.

Here's a Google route around, http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...3,0.308647&z=1

Here's an Affiars link http://www.ontariobusinessguide.com/...s/affairs.html

Airport rd is paved now
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta