16 year old girl and needs insurance on 09 250 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 year old girl and needs insurance on 09 250

Re: 16 year old girl and needs insurance on 09 250

Quote Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
    Call JRDuffy insurance. I wont deal with anyone else. NO one has come CLOSE to their rates for me. The people I've dealt with there are incredible. JR Duffy gave me a better quote than Avi by $400 when I called with my first bike ages ago.

JR Duffy insurance
    905 479 2013

Ask for Diane Trainor. Tell her Matt Butash from GTAmotorcycles sent you. She'll take good care of you, believe me.
    Which insurance company did JR Duffy write you with?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

when i called statefarm they said i need to have 5 years G license experience. when i called J. Duffy, they said i need to have minimum of 1 year of motorcycle insurance. luckily i do.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Banned

And.....Ronald Regan was president of the US.....movies were $5. Demi Moore was still hot...need i go on...?

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    wow avi is a great guy but damn 2680, thats with collision i hope. when i was 16 i was paying $1350 for the year on a rz350.

You will pay a fortune, pm me for your only solution.
    Night Rod Special

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
    You will pay a fortune, pm me for your only solution.
    If your answer can only be given over PM, then I question its legality . . .
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    If your answer can only be given over PM, then I question its legality . . .
    The only thing in question legally are our insurance rates. It's a fvckin crime and everyone knows it, if you don't there's somethign wrong with you. Ill use myself as an example, $ 4700 per year on my bike vs $ 400 1 hour away across the border, same coverage.

It's a shame that something so simple as a motorcycle which should be available for everyone of all ages to enjoy is such a luxury item to have in Canada.
    Night Rod Special

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
    The only thing in question legally are our insurance rates. It's a fvckin crime and everyone knows it, if you don't there's somethign wrong with you. Ill use myself as an example, $ 4700 per year on my bike vs $ 400 1 hour away across the border, same coverage.

It's a shame that something so simple as a motorcycle which should be available for everyone of all ages to enjoy is such a luxury item to have in Canada.
    Setting insurance rates is my job, and I am no criminal. I don't think it's a crime, and there is nothing wrong with me.

I have explained the regional differences insurance products (especially between the US and Canada) in the following thread:

http://gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=65033

The insurance benefits in Ontario are among the highest in North America. The benefits are not decided by the insurance companies, but by the courts (outrageous settlements) and provincial legislation. We only price the product that we are forced to sell, and make no more profit than our friends to the south. If you have questions, please post them in my other thread . . . I don't want to hijack this one.

Good luck with your insurance. Although not always advisable, think about whether or not you need collision/theft/etc. As a new rider you prob won't make a collision claim unless it's a write-off, and no offense, but not sure how many people are stealing Ninja 250s. I know for my bike, these coverages are approx half the cost of my insurance.

Let us know what happens. And welcome. Good choice for your first bike too.

Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    Good luck with your insurance. Although not always advisable, think about whether or not you need collision/theft/etc. As a new rider you prob won't make a collision claim unless it's a write-off, and no offense, but not sure how many people are stealing Ninja 250s. I know for my bike, these coverages are approx half the cost of my insurance.

Let us know what happens. And welcome. Good choice for your first bike too.
    Dropping collision is a good idea for a new rider, but I wouldn't suggest dropping Comprehensive (i.e. Fire/Theft). Since a new rider's Ninja 250 is no more likely to be stolen than a mature rider's Ninja 250, they are both charged the same Fire/Theft premium. In other words, the Fire/Theft premium is not determined but the operator, but solely on the bike itself and perhaps your postal address.

Note: If you are financing a vehicle, the financing company will usually require that you purchase full coverage on the bike. I suggest going used.

Which insurance company did JR Duffy write you with?
    I got a quote with Jevco, 30% below what anyone else was offering. 1000 for the full year. Its only a 125, but still considering i have no measurable riding experience (Never had a licence or insurance on a road bike) its not too bad.

Next year it drops to 560 regardless of whether i take a course or not. If i take the course, it drops more. Not too shabby.

Setting insurance rates is my job, and I am no criminal. I don't think it's a crime, and there is nothing wrong with me.

I have explained the regional differences insurance products (especially between the US and Canada) in the following thread:

http://gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=65033

The insurance benefits in Ontario are among the highest in North America. The benefits are not decided by the insurance companies, but by the courts (outrageous settlements) and provincial legislation. We only price the product that we are forced to sell, and make no more profit than our friends to the south. If you have questions, please post them in my other thread . . . I don't want to hijack this one.
    I don't think INSURANCE and BENEFITS should ever belong in the same sentance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMrsguided View Post
    I don't think INSURANCE and BENEFITS should ever belong in the same sentance.
    Care to elaborate? If you need to make a claim on an insurance policy in Ontario, you will be cared for better than you would in any other province/state.

1991 was a long time ago . . . inflation alone will account for a large portion of premium increases since 1991. In order to compare apples to apples, you would have to multiply your 1991 premium by each successive annual inflation rate over the last 18 years.

Inflation on injury claims has outpaced inflation in general, so that adds to the increased costs.
    The difference in 1991 dollars and today isn't really as great as you implied.

Check out wolfran alpha... their tool doesn work well for CAD $, but using American $ in this case isn't a bad comparison: http://www09.wolframalpha.com/input/...%20now&t=wvg01

$380 in 1991 would be approximately $590 now... a huge difference between that and $2600.

As with the poster you were replying to, I bought bike insurance when I was 16 in 1992 for about $150/yr for a KLX250. In today's dollars that would be $233, yet I would be paying at least $350 a year for insurance on that same bike now despite being 33 with 17 years of road riding experience.

So... it would seem that the inflation on insurance (or as you say, inflation on accident claims) far exceeded the average inflation rate over those years.
    Just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you! (Dara O'Briain)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U. Farlie View Post
    The difference in 1991 dollars and today isn't really as great as you implied.

Check out wolfran alpha... their tool doesn work well for CAD $, but using American $ in this case isn't a bad comparison: http://www09.wolframalpha.com/input/...%20now&t=wvg01

$380 in 1991 would be approximately $590 now... a huge difference between that and $2600.

As with the poster you were replying to, I bought bike insurance when I was 16 in 1992 for about $150/yr for a KLX250. In today's dollars that would be $233, yet I would be paying at least $350 a year for insurance on that same bike now despite being 33 with 17 years of road riding experience.

So... it would seem that the inflation on insurance (or as you say, inflation on accident claims) far exceeded the average inflation rate over those years.
    Yes, the inflation on Accident Claims *far* exceeds regular inflation. I guess I wasn't very clear on this point in my previous post.

Banned

man..

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    I got a quote with Jevco, 30% below what anyone else was offering. 1000 for the full year. Its only a 125, but still considering i have no measurable riding experience (Never had a licence or insurance on a road bike) its not too bad.

Next year it drops to 560 regardless of whether i take a course or not. If i take the course, it drops more. Not too shabby.
    Yup, a Jevco policy is probably your best bet.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

state farm wont touch anyone unless they have 5 years experience. if someone has state farm without 5 years. i would like them to PM me ASAP. because they obviously weaved some magic and i want some.

Banned

i wanna see how this one turns out.

if you look at the member list, you'll see most of these people never come back...

Quote Originally Posted by dmctaggart View Post
    state farm wont touch anyone unless they have 5 years experience. if someone has state farm without 5 years. i would like them to PM me ASAP. because they obviously weaved some magic and i want some.
    State Farm's filed rules state they they do not have to write anyone with under five years of experience (or, I presume based on what I have heard). They can make exceptions to this rule if the client has a lot of other business with State Farm (such as a household with Home, car or two, and now the son/daughter is getting a bike). They cannot deviate on rates, but they can make their rules of acceptance less strict for god business. If you are thinking of going to State Farm on a stand-alone bike policy with under five years of experience, then good luck!

Dealer/Vendor Dealer/Vendor StudioCycleGroup's Avatar

There have been a ton of posts - I thought I'd add one as well.

At Studio Cycle Group we use and recommend Wiesner Insurance - they're located in Brampton and are fantastic brokers. It's a family run business, they are riding enthusiasts and they may be able to help:

http://www.wiesnerinsurance.com/
    Wiesner Insurance
    57 Mill Street North, Suite 103
    Brampton, Ontario
    L6X 1S9
    (905) 451 4205 or (416) 498 6101

1 (800) 408 2877info@wiesnerinsurance.com
    Studio Cycle Group
    2923 Dundas St. W.
    Toronto, ON M6P 1Z1
    416-766-5300
    www.studiocyclegroup.com