Registering/Plating a used bike

Thread: Registering/Plating a used bike

Registering/Plating a used bike

Here's the situation that I am facing, I bought a used 1984 VF750 a year ago, and did a bit of restoration and some modififcations on it hoping to plate and use it to do all my M1,M2 licence tests on.

What do I need to do in order to register the vehicle?
    I did not get a UVIP and I cannot seem to find the seller lately (possibly on vaycation).

And once its registered, do I need a full M1 licence to plate and insure it, or will they allow me to insure and plate the bike with just an M1 no exit permit?

In addition what kind of safety checks will I have to pass or will my bike be exempt from these due to its age?

Thanks in advance for spoonfeeding me, but I tried reading MOT's site but my comprehension is crap after a day's work.
    Honda VFR750F 1984 (modernized)

Re: Registering/Plating a used bike

You'll probably need to get it appraised if you don't have the bill of sale. You will need your M1 license, insurance for the motorcycle, and a safety. You'll probably also need to purchase a used vehicle information package when you get to the MOT, that will cost you 20 dollars iirc and that is it.

If the seller didn't get the used vehicle information package (UVIP) you can purchase it on your own when you go to the MOT to get your plates.

You actually dont need an M1 license, you can just provide your regular drivers license.

You will also need the signed ownership from the last owner (provided you havent already transfered that? Sounds like you havent). You will be forced to buy a UVIP if you dont have one, its 50 dollars (unless its cheaper for motorcycles? Its 50 dollars for cars).

I dont think youll need an appraisal to register it? Ive never needed one. You may need one for insurance because the bikes so old, depending on the company you go through and the kind of coverage you want.

You also need proof of insurance, any insurance slip that has a policy number on it will work for the ministry so if you are going to insure it under your auto policy you dont need to wait for a new pink slip. Plus they dont check to make sure the insurance is valid, so take that as you will... Im just going to assume you will have valid insurance before you get on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    You will be forced to buy a UVIP if you dont have one, its 50 dollars (unless its cheaper for motorcycles? Its 50 dollars for cars).
    Hmm,, I have always paid $20 for cars and bikes..
    the mto site says $20 ... ??
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq...le.shtml#used6

$20 is for UVIP

The ministry will force you to purchase this.

If you do not have the ownership signed as sold from the previous owner, then you will need to have a notarized affidavit saying that you purchased the bike and are the proper owner.

With the above you can transfer the ownership.

In addition to that to PLATE the bike and make it legally drivable you will require:

Proof of Valid Insurance - Your pink slip, you just need to write down the policy number on a form.

The bike must also not be BRANDED as IRR. You will hopefully have a brand of NONE or REBUILT.

The BRAND will be listed on the UVIP.

Thanks for all the quick responses, I'll try to get it all sorted out soon now that I have an idea of what I'm in for.
    Cheers! Yan

Quote Originally Posted by meester_jamie View Post
    Hmm,, I have always paid $20 for cars and bikes..
    the mto site says $20 ... ??
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq...le.shtml#used6

really?? They made me pay 50 dollars the last 2 times i went in ajax... Only reason i remember is because the first time i didnt have enough cash on me and their debit machine was down so i had to go to the bank and take out 50 dollars... Maybe the girls there are taking 30 bucks into their pockets on every uvip?

I just went a week ago but the guy already had the uvip so i didnt have to pay this time...

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    really?? They made me pay 50 dollars the last 2 times i went in ajax... Only reason i remember is because the first time i didnt have enough cash on me and their debit machine was down so i had to go to the bank and take out 50 dollars... Maybe the girls there are taking 30 bucks into their pockets on every uvip?

I just went a week ago but the guy already had the uvip so i didnt have to pay this time...

There are more fees than just UVIP when changing ownership. The UVIP alone is 20.

I know and i had that money in cash, because id looked up how much it would cost (I think its 15 or 20 dollars for the ownership change, and then taxes on whatever the purchase price is, plus however much your tags cost), so basically i had like 150 dollars or something in cash thinking id have a bit left over after getting tags and everything. Then she told me i had to pay 50 dollars for the UVIP on top of it... The first time i went i was assuming if the seller didnt give you one and you didnt want one, it was optional. This happened twice at the same place, and i never thought about it until just now when i see you guys saying its only 20 bucks. Hell id have paid another 50 dollars last week when i registered my bike and not even think about it, except i had the UVIP already.

I got my bike certed by Ted, I got my UVIP ($20 bucks for 6 sheets of government issued paper). I guess next step is to get the insurance. How is the taxes calculated for the purchase of the used bike though? It was only $1000 but it was a strictly cash deal.
    Honda VFR750F 1984 (modernized)

Quote Originally Posted by yanhchan View Post
    I got my bike certed by Ted, I got my UVIP ($20 bucks for 6 sheets of government issued paper). I guess next step is to get the insurance. How is the taxes calculated for the purchase of the used bike though? It was only $1000 but it was a strictly cash deal.

The tax is 8% - PST - Of what you paid, or what is written on UVIP in the bill of sale portion.

If you fill it out yourself just put down that you paid 250 or 500.

I put 500 on mine and paid like 40 in tax.

You could put zero, but I wouldnt get greedy and arouse suspicion.