Anybody done Hwy. 2 across Vermont ect...?

Thread: Anybody done Hwy. 2 across Vermont ect...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anybody done Hwy. 2 across Vermont ect...?

Has anybody ridden Hwy. 2 that starts in Mont Pelltier Vermont across to Houlton Maine? We are planning our route out east for next week and it looks pretty good. Our route also takes us through Lake Placid of course. Also, any recommendations for campgrounds across the trip? I really like the KOA camps myself so anything like that would be good.

Re: Anybody done Hwy. 2 across Vermont ect...?

I can remember going through there with my parents when I was a kid... I can tell you that Highway 2 is a stop I plan to make in the future, now that I ride. I can't help you on anything else, but I would recommend taking the ski lift up the Ski Jump when you're in Lake Placid. It's a crazy view from the top.

Oh yeah, and the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory is in VT as well.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

I've ridden part of it from Lancaster to hwy113 in Maine. It's a nice relaxed easygoing highway.. nothing spectacular if I recall correctly.

It goes by Mt Washington so you should go up there.

For a real thriling ride make your way down to Hurricane road near Fryberg.

..Tom
    Last edited by V-Tom; 07-10-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: speeling
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

drove the #2 a couple years back (wishing i was on my bike), a buddy and myself drove it from bar harbor maine to the end man it was great. you wont regret it.

a pic from the side of the hwy canada day long weekend 2 years ago

Have ridden it from Burlington Vermont to Bangor Maine; although it was year's ago. At that time; it was pretty much a two lane hwy. all the way through. If you're going down east on a bike...I would definately recommend that route over slabbing it via 401; then up through Quebec on Hwy 20 or whatever. There should be lots of camping around Burlington Vt. as it's a "tourist town". There's even a small car ferry that goes from some town on the N.Y. side across Lake Champlain to just south of Burlington Vt (about a 20 minute trip). If you stopped around Burlington Vt. you should be pretty much able to travel well into Maine the following day. Pretty nice ride with a sprinkling of small towns along the way.

Stayed almost exclusively in the State Parks throughout a trip to Bar Harbour a couple years ago. Very well kept, reasonable fees, kleen, great shower facilities, and firewood avaliable at almost all campsites. Great ride across the #2HWY, and some great roads around Bangor. Plan on spending a couple of days around Bangor. Make sure that your break pads are almost new, if you plan on doing the ride up Mt. Washington. Comming back down can be very hard on transmissions and breaks; seen many new vechicles completly toasted going up and down the mountain. Have fun, it is one of the best drives on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    Has anybody ridden Hwy. 2 that starts in Mont Pelltier Vermont across to Houlton Maine? We are planning our route out east for next week and it looks pretty good. Our route also takes us through Lake Placid of course. Also, any recommendations for campgrounds across the trip? I really like the KOA camps myself so anything like that would be good.
    I'll be out there in a couple of weeks and will get into Vermont this time. If you're going through Lake Placid then head directly east from there until you hit route 9N. It eventually runs north south along the shores of Lake George and is worth doing. Bottom line is there's a ton of good roads out there to hit up.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.