Jet kit install and carb tuning

Thread: Jet kit install and carb tuning

Jet kit install and carb tuning

Hi everyone, can you recommend a shop to install a jet kit and tune the carbs for me, in the west end (Etobicoke/Brampton/Mississauga)? And can you give an estimate for the cost? Bike is a 2005 Katana 600.
    Last edited by 2ndderivative; 07-06-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added model

Re: Jet kit install and carb tuning

just do it yourself!!

believe me its not as hard as you think....

dont go to Riders Choice, unless you want to be charged for carb cleaning when it doesnt need it (two other people will atest to this), get charger 5 hours and still dont do the job right...

why are u jetting it? did you install an aftermarket filter or exhaust since i saw you last at the Niagara Falls ride?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndderivative View Post
    Hi everyone, can you recommend a shop to install a jet kit and tune the carbs for me, in the west end (Etobicoke/Brampton/Mississauga)? And can you give an estimate for the cost? Bike is a 2005 Katana 600.
    Why are you installing a jet kit? Have you done work on it? Full exhaust?? Just curious..maybe save you some money. Go to Pro 6 or Riders Choice. Both good shops. Pro 6 is on Kipling just south of Dundas beside the Country Time donut place and Riders Choice is on the NW corner of Dixie and Queensway.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    just do it yourself!!

believe me its not as hard as you think....

dont go to Riders Choice, unless you want to be charged for carb cleaning when it doesnt need it (two other people will atest to this), get charger 5 hours and still dont do the job right...

why are u jetting it? did you install an aftermarket filter or exhaust since i saw you last at the Niagara Falls ride?
    Hey man, I went looking for instructions on how to adjust carbs on the Katana forums. Twenty pages of reading later my head was spinning and all I figured was that it's easy to make the whole thing blow up. You remember I was idling high? I turned the idle adjustment screw till it went down to normal (1100ish). Bike's running nice enough, but the exhaust pipe has this brown marking developing on it now, which it seems is a sign of running lean. So, it appears that some tuning is in order? As for the jet kit, I've been told it helps the low and midrange a lot, even with stock exhaust, so I figured might as well toss that in too if I'm getting the carbs worked on.

I have no problem spending half the day working on the bike, as long as it involves following straightforward instructions that have a reasonable chance of success. It's just that I'm getting the impression that working on carbs is not one of those thing.

If you guys have some suggestions to help me work on the bike myself I'd be glad to hear them...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndderivative View Post
    Hey man, I went looking for instructions on how to adjust carbs on the Katana forums. Twenty pages of reading later my head was spinning and all I figured was that it's easy to make the whole thing blow up. You remember I was idling high? I turned the idle adjustment screw till it went down to normal (1100ish). Bike's running nice enough, but the exhaust pipe has this brown marking developing on it now, which it seems is a sign of running lean. So, it appears that some tuning is in order? As for the jet kit, I've been told it helps the low and midrange a lot, even with stock exhaust, so I figured might as well toss that in too if I'm getting the carbs worked on.

I have no problem spending half the day working on the bike, as long as it involves following straightforward instructions that have a reasonable chance of success. It's just that I'm getting the impression that working on carbs is not one of those thing.

If you guys have some suggestions to help me work on the bike myself I'd be glad to hear them...
    With a symptom like that i'm wondering about one or both of the following things;

1. strange symptom that might be caused by clogged jets and such in the carbs. This could indicate that a cleaning is in order. Try a $15 can of SeaFoam. GREAT stuff! MANY posters here, and elsewhere, attest to it, myself included.

2. strange symptom like that may indicate that something is truly wrong inside the carbs - possibly a previous owner tried the same thing and screwed up, worn needle seats, punctured float(s) ..... etc etc.

I'd say make option 1 mandatory. Even if the cleaning didn't help then it'll help when someone goes inside the carbs.
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

reason i say do it yourself is, if you mess up, meh, get new parts and call it a day....if the shop messes up, they wont take any responsibility, still charge you and say the problem was there to begin with, you are out $$$ and at the same place as before. it took RC a week to install and tune a jet kit, and i paid $600 because...we're gonna go in order of excuses from Andrew.
    - Your carbs are REALLY dirty (ran seafoam through it end of last season, bike ran fine, needed a tune cuz of new Yoshimura exhaust),
    - somebody was playing with these carbs already, we're having a hard time accessing the fuel mixture screws (when i took the bike home and took the carbs apart again, everything was fine, i even slotted the mixture screws so i can tune it with a screwdrive as RC kept the mixture tool that came with the DJ kit)
    - and the cherry on top! Oh, your cyl 1 has no compression, so we cant finish tuning it, we can take it apart and see what the problem is (read, we want $$$$)...at which point i told em to put the bike together i'm taking it....took it home, did a compression test myself and found it exactly as per Manual...they screwed up the carb assembly and the carb slider wasnt opening allowing air in. So had i told em, okay look at it, they would have charged me who knows how much more to fix their own mistake...I fixed the problem and took it back to them so they can finish tuning it on the dyno....you think they fessed up? lowered the price? when i wanted to take the bike back, they wanted the full price for the full tune even though they didnt finish it.

so $600 later i had the DJ kit installed and "tuned", even though it was still leaned out and i had to open up the carbs again and raise the needles one position, myself... total time for me to do it? 1 hour? they charged me 5 hours labour for everything...

look at it this way, you'll install the kit and tune it, later down the road if you ever want to do something to them again, YOU can do ti, you've been in there, done it and can transfer that knowledge to any other carb'd bike

idle adjustment screw doesnt mess with mixture...

if you were really running lean these are the symptoms.

stuttery, jerky acceleration in low rpm, when decelerating with throttle closed, backfiring and burbling from exhaust.

i say seafoam it first and then come back with results...

we should hook up for a ride so i can take a look at the 'tuna....
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Had a cbr1100's carbs done at Larry's small engines in orangeville.

Bike ran amazing when it came back. The carbs were rebuilt + setup.

I will have to track down the reciept for a price.....the bike had a whole ******** of stuff done to it so I dont know what the carbs cost alone.

Seafoam is no replacement for a good cleaning. And depending on the mileage on your bike it might benifit from a rebuild. (not likely since its an 05 though)

How bout "kneedragger88" off this board ..

He installed my jet kit on my R6 and afterwards the thing ran like a top. I bought the kit myself for $35 bucks, and i think it cost me around $125 for him to install it and a few other things.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

If it is a pipe you are putting on, then put it on, clean your plugs or put new ones one and ride a few miles. park it and remove the plugs. if they are very light in color light tan or white) that means that the mixture is lean. if it is tan in color or light brown you don't need to change anything. if they are "sooty" or dark in color that means it is running rich. usually when you put on new pipes they will be lean. racers like to run lean for more power but that increases the chance of a lean seized piston(s)
    try this chart. http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm
    even if you take it to a shop to do it, at least you have a reference to go by once your bike comes back

good luck

randy