Are your tires safe? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are your tires safe?

Re: Are your tires safe?

Wow..you guys have short memories..

From Wiki..
    The failures all involved tread separation—the tread peeling off followed often by tire disintegration. If that happened, and the vehicle was running at speed, there was a high likelihood of the vehicle leaving the road and rolling over. Many rollovers cause serious injury and even death; it has been estimated that over 250 deaths and more than 3,000 serious injuries resulted from these failures.
    If this were motorcycle tires you guys would be all over it..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Re: Are your tires safe?

Yep.
    Car tires CAN de-laminate because of age.
    I bet you though that 99 out 100 de-laminated tire you see on the highway, car tires and truck tires, got that way from under inflation and over loading... not age.

As to " When you have a pile of cars destroyed in accidents where the tires separated and experts in the matter saying old tires are a danger, I'm gonna stick with them. "
    I don't remember hearing from ANY EXPERTS. I remember hearing a LAWYER talking. A lawyer talking about a case that he is prosecuting.
    Maybe the lawyer is a bit bias.

I met a guy at Cayuga last week that was running Whippet tires on his Pro Modified car.
    Whippet tires were sold at Crappy Tire in the '70s. They were the cheapest tire sold... almost 40 years ago... and they were junk then.
    Buddy had a flat tire going through the eyes at 136mph.
    It was the 35 year old valve stem.