1,000 km 9 Hour Day Trip

Thread: 1,000 km 9 Hour Day Trip

1,000 km 9 Hour Day Trip

I wanted to test my ability to do 1,000km in one day on my SS bike so that in the future if I wanted to go on even longer trips I would know if I could do it or not.

So I plotted a 1,000km route on Google and then I went ahead and made the trip. Every 2 hours, or roughly 250km, I would stop to get gas and rest for a few minutes. So theoretically you can do the whole trip in 9 hours. It took me longer because I got stuck in a police road block on Hwy. 400, otherwise I would have done it in 9 hours.

Basically this is an endurance test, but it's also a great idea for a day trip.

Most of the route is on the main highways, but some of it is on Highway 60 that passes through Algonquin Park and is very scenic.

I actually did this trip late last year but I'm planning to do it again soon.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...7,3.773804&z=8

Re: 1,000 km 9 Hour Day Trip

nice! ive yet to test my endurance, so far its only been short commutes to work!

Did you eat????
    I did a 1000km day a year ago and it took me a good 12 hours or so.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

The trick is to

get up the next morning and do it all again!

I did 2400kms in 3 days last year, with very little highway miles, and carrying a backpack. I certainly learnt a lot from the trip! I'm doing it again in two weeks and have invested in some better kit for the trip, not least of which is a sportsbike specific backpack and some padded underwear!
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

I don't really see the point... a day trip isn't about slabbing it..

Now if its a multiple day trip and the slab is the means to get off the slab sooner then sure.

Your endurance will be tested more off the slab.
    Last edited by Skurj; 07-19-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Re: The trick is to

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    get up the next morning and do it all again!

I did 2400kms in 3 days last year, with very little highway miles, and carrying a backpack. I certainly learnt a lot from the trip! I'm doing it again in two weeks and have invested in some better kit for the trip, not least of which is a sportsbike specific backpack and some padded underwear!
    +1 A must on any long ride. Padded shorts FTW!

Can someone drop me a link on where to pick up some of this padded underwear? Local would be best. MEC?

Thanks

bicycle shop

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    I don't really see the point... a day trip isn't about slabbing it..

Now if its a multiple day trip and the slab is the means to get off the slab sooner then sure.

Your endurance will be tested more off the slab.
    +1, you can get a lot of miles in on highways - but backroads are where all the fun's at!
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

I did another 1,000 km run yesterday (Sunday). The reason was to prepare myself for a 6,600 km trip to Quebec City QC, Halifax NS and St John's, NL during which I'll have to cover 1,000 km/day for several days in a row. At some point I also want to do a trip to Vancouver, a 9,000 km round trip.

Although 1K on a touring bike may be no big deal it is an issue on a supersports like my CBR1000RR. But the human body is infinitely adaptable so it's just a matter of training your body to develop the required muscles to do long trips in the forward leaning position.

Most of the time that I'm out on my bike I go on 200-300 km trips and have recently been on ever longer ones. In the beginning it was harder but now my body has adapted. My 1K trip caused only minimal fatigue and I think I can now do this several days in a row without any major problem.

It was a beautiful Sunday with mild to cool temperature. I plotted my trip on Google Maps and then entered it into my Garmin Nuvi 550. The route was very simple:

Downtown Toronto --> 401 East --> 41 North --> 17 West --> 11 South --> 400 South --> Downtown Toronto

It adds up to almost exactly 1,000 km.

I made 4 gas stops.
    1) 10 km
    2) 230 km
    3) 480 km (also stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee)
    4) 775 km (ate at Denny's)

Roads on Sunday were clear, except the ride back on 400, which is always busy on Sunday evenings.

Hwy 41 is a nice road with low traffic. It's got a 80 kmph speed limit but I was doing more most of the way. Had a scare when at I spotted a policeman aiming a radar at traffic. I thought I'd been busted, except luckily he was aiming at traffic coming from the opposite direction. There are some nice sections for trying out top speed.

Hwy 17 is part of the Trans Canada Highway, so it's a more major road. I stopped at Timmie's at the 480 km point.

I could have bypassed North Bay and saved time but I wanted to check out the town so I took a 10-15 minute detour to ride through the city centre.

Hwy 11 brings you back to Toronto. They seem to be widening it to make it dual carriageway all the way through.

I left at 10:45 am and arrived back home at 9:45 pm. So it took 11 hours. If I'm on a long road trip I would start earlier at 8 am and stop for the day at a motel at 7 pm. That allows me to have a nice dinner and go to bed early to be fresh for the next day.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...2,3.740845&z=8

Last edited by Metropole; 07-20-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Silent Sports in Thornhill

Quote Originally Posted by Mogeez View Post
    Can someone drop me a link on where to pick up some of this padded underwear? Local would be best. MEC?

Thanks
    have a 20% off sale on shorts at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Metropole View Post
    I did another 1,000 km run yesterday (Sunday). The reason was to prepare myself for a 6,600 km trip to Quebec City QC, Halifax NS and St John's, NL during which I'll have to cover 1,000 km/day for several days in a row. At some point I also want to do a trip to Vancouver, a 9,000 km round trip.

Although 1K on a touring bike may be no big deal it is an issue on a supersports like my CBR1000RR. But the human body is infinitely adaptable so it's just a matter of training your body to develop the required muscles to do long trips in the forward leaning position.

Most of the time that I'm out on my bike I go on 200-300 km trips and have recently been on ever longer ones. In the beginning it was harder but now my body has adapted. My 1K trip caused only minimal fatigue and I think I can now do this several days in a row without any major problem.

It was a beautiful Sunday with mild to cool temperature. I plotted my trip on Google Maps and then entered it into my Garmin Nuvi 550. The route was very simple:

Downtown Toronto --> 401 East --> 41 North --> 17 West --> 11 South --> 400 South --> Downtown Toronto

It adds up to almost exactly 1,000 km.

I made 4 gas stops.
    1) 10 km
    2) 230 km
    3) 480 km (also stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee)
    4) 775 km (ate at Denny's)

Roads on Sunday were clear, except the ride back on 400, which is always busy on Sunday evenings.

Hwy 41 is a nice road with low traffic. It's got a 80 kmph speed limit but I was doing more most of the way. Had a scare when at I spotted a policeman aiming a radar at traffic. I thought I'd been busted, except luckily he was aiming at traffic coming from the opposite direction. There are some nice sections for trying out top speed.

Hwy 17 is part of the Trans Canada Highway, so it's a more major road. I stopped at Timmie's at the 480 km point.

I could have bypassed North Bay and saved time but I wanted to check out the town so I took a 10-15 minute detour to ride through the city centre.

Hwy 11 brings you back to Toronto. They seem to be widening it to make it dual carriageway all the way through.

I left at 10:45 am and arrived back home at 9:45 pm. So it took 11 hours. If I'm on a long road trip I would start earlier at 8 am and stop for the day at a motel at 7 pm. That allows me to have a nice dinner and go to bed early to be fresh for the next day.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...2,3.740845&z=8

Since you're practicing for your 6600km trip, I assume you'll have luggage/backpack? If you're wearing a backpack, good luck doing 1000km/day. I'd suggest using saddlebags.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    Since you're practicing for your 6600km trip, I assume you'll have luggage/backpack? If you're wearing a backpack, good luck doing 1000km/day. I'd suggest using saddlebags.
    That's right. I did a 660 km trip a few weeks ago with a backpack and it was very uncomfortable. So the lesson learned was that I need some kind of saddlebags for my long trips.

That's what i call touring/cruising.

What types of bikes do you guys do this on?

Anyone thought of investing in an actual bike that holds 100 liters of gas in it with a 50 liter reserve? ;P

feel sorry for you guys stopping every 250 km's to refuel. but then again, who wants to stop anyways? full throttle! Auto pilot!

I did 11,000 kms in 13 days in june, stopping every 200-250kms.. makes a nice break. After riding from the GTA to the west coast and then doing some scenic stuff from the west coast to the Black Hills I had had enough. Thats when I basically planted it on the interstate and pushed to get the miles behind me.

Anyways, no need for all this practice stuff, if you are gonna 'practice' stay off the slab and just ride the bike for the day on roads worth riding. Forget the 401..

The ride has to be fun, the slab is not fun no matter how ya slice it. If you are going for how far you can go in a day, you bought the wrong kinda bike...

Next year... no messin aboot! I will be slabbin it out to where the roads aren't so straight.. seen enough of northern Ontario and the prairies... Spokane in 3 days I figure.

I did several 1000km+ days on my old Ninja 1000. It had a Corbin seat on it which made everything so much better. For several days of 1000km+ riding, it might be a worthwhile type investment if you haven't already considered it... If you do get one, remember they take about 1000km to break in.

Now I use a gel seat w/ a sheepskin seat cover and 1000km days are easy.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

There are a few things that I could do to make the bike better for long distance touring:

1) Corbin seats.
    2) HeliBars
    3) Saddlebags
    4) Scorpion alarm
    5) Radar detector (don't know the legality of this)

I'll probably get the Corbin seats and saddlebags but skip the HeliBars as I like to keep my bike in stock condition as much as possible. Plus I need a good alarm for leaving the bike outdoors at remote motels in the middle of nowhere. I don't know about the radar detector.

Someone may ask why not just get a Sports Touring bike. The reason is that they're just not my type. The CBR1000RR suits me perfectly in terms of riding style, design and image and there's no reason why I can't use it for everything - city riding, touring and racing at the track.

Training yourself to ride a supersports bike long distance is no different than training yourself to run at the track. If you want to run 10 km you can't just go out there and do it. You have to put in some effort to train yourself. It's the same with an SS bike. To do 1,000 km you have to train your body to do it. Once you adapt it's no problem.

Bah

No need to train for 1000km+ just have the right gear.

I have an sv1000s touring mods...

first went to heli bars, then to superbike bars.
    hard luggage and racks, nothing like spending 12 hrs on the road in the rain, and pulling into a hotel to find everything dry
    Sargent seat
    upgraded headlight bulbs (may try HiD's eventually)
    Sheepskin (though only just arrived not tried it yet)
    Throttlemeister and throttle rocker
    Electric vest (upgrading to a jacket liner for next season)
    dbl bbl screen
    fenda extenda

Next on the list..
    Zumo
    maybe an alarm
    adjustable pegs
    taller windscreen
    heated grips

I keep all the stock parts, so I can restore the bike to stock and sell off all the mods, no point selling them with the bike.

Ooo yeah.. most important gear I have... LDcomfort shorts
    Last edited by Skurj; 07-22-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    Bah

No need to train for 1000km+ just have the right gear.

I have an sv1000s touring mods...

first went to heli bars, then to superbike bars.
    hard luggage and racks, nothing like spending 12 hrs on the road in the rain, and pulling into a hotel to find everything dry
    Sargent seat
    upgraded headlight bulbs (may try HiD's eventually)
    Sheepskin (though only just arrived not tried it yet)
    Throttlemeister and throttle rocker
    Electric vest (upgrading to a jacket liner for next season)
    dbl bbl screen
    fenda extenda

Next on the list..
    Zumo
    maybe an alarm
    adjustable pegs
    taller windscreen
    heated grips

I keep all the stock parts, so I can restore the bike to stock and sell off all the mods, no point selling them with the bike.

Ooo yeah.. most important gear I have... LDcomfort shorts
    I'd disagree, especially when you're talking about a sportsbike. You need to train your muscles and bones to adopt a new position and remain (relatively) pain free. The only way of doing this is to ride and ride and then ride some more. I'm off next weekend for 4 days and will do about 3000kms. Out of the three of us going I've done by far the most distance riding all season and know I will hurt the least after the first day. Maybe 'conditioning' is a better word than training but it amounts to the same in my book. And to a certain extent getting the right gear and mods to your bike is all about training and experience.

Notwithstanding all that though, it's nice to talk with people who do distance on their bikes. You're never too old to learn summat new.

With regards the alarm? I got a Scorpio 2 way jobby this year. I also bought the plug and play kit and the perimiter sensor and it made the install about 30 minutes.