'83 Kawasaki - bump start possible?

Thread: '83 Kawasaki - bump start possible?

'83 Kawasaki - bump start possible?

Hi.

My wife has an '83 Kawasaki KZ550. There is some mechanism that keeps you from shifting into 2nd unless the bike is running. Supposedly some safety thing.

Normally I bump start in 2nd gear but I don't seem able to with this bike.

Anyways, I have no idea how I would bump start this thing. Anyone have any advice?

Re: '83 Kawasaki - bump start possible?

when my bike was dead I put it in 5th gear, (pull in the clutch) and after a push/down hill slowly pull out the clutch. when you start to hear the engine come alive, pull in the clutch. when the engine starts, put it in 1st and take off.

randy

Sounds abit weird... I had no issues push starting my gpz550 long ago.. try it in first if you don't have any other choice...

Tried shifting it while its moving? I can't see there being anything mechanical preventing you from shifting into any gear you like...

just rock the bike back and forth and at the same time pull up on the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    just rock the bike back and forth and at the same time pull up on the shifter.
    now that I think of it my eurosport is hard to put into the gears above neutral when it isn't running. thanks for the tip

cheers

randy

yes you can just do as the others said...i would use third not second however
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I know some Kawasaki bikes have a positive neutral finder, basically you can't shift into anything other than first while the bike is stationary. Push it in neutral and jump on shift into whatever gear you want while it is rolling.

As described directly above, there is a pesky ball bearing which prevents the transmission from going into second unless the transmission is spinning at speed.

Simply get the bike moving at a decent pace (running) with it in first gear. As you release the clutch, sit down hard on the seat to keep the rear from locking up.

-Grimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    As described directly above, there is a pesky ball bearing which prevents the transmission from going into second unless the transmission is spinning at speed.

Simply get the bike moving at a decent pace (running) with it in first gear. As you release the clutch, sit down hard on the seat to keep the rear from locking up.

-Grimmy
    I will try this. Thanks.

For the other suggestions, I am experienced with bump starting bikes, just not this 83 Kawa.

Another motorcycle myth: bump starting is done with second gear. I've always used first gear without problems.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Another motorcycle myth: bump starting is done with second gear. I've always used first gear without problems.
    Haven't heard that myth, sorry.

First is fine when there is lots of traction, engine is warm/catches on the first turn over. Otherwise, higher gears are better as tire won't lock as easily, and it is easier for the pusher if the engine won't catch at first. I rarely use first or second for push starting without problems.