accident on I90 in US with plate from another car

Thread: accident on I90 in US with plate from another car

accident on I90 in US with plate from another car

OK here is the story.bought a car in NYC in late march this year,i just slap my Canadian plate on and way i went(imported 2 bikes same way without problems).on my way back near Utica,i hit a snow storm and went into the grad rail.trooper came and gave me a ticket for unsafe lane change, as his way of giving me a brake since i told him i got the car in the morning.car was tow and he drove me to a hotel and i toke a bus back the next day.a week later pick the car up with a flat bed and imported and pay the ticket.i fix the car myself and didn't reported to my insurance.

Now the problem is that the state send me a letter and is billing me for the grad rail for $1800 and said will notify my insurance company directly if they don't hear from me in 15 days.

Question is will my insurance company knows any way?or should i just pay them so my insurance won't find out? any better suggestions as what i should do?

A friend said that my Canadian plate should insure the car that i put the plate on,any truth in that? but i prefer to not let them know since i have already fix the car. thanks for any help
    Last edited by ironryder; 07-10-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    03 VTX 1800C
    03 RC 51
    I love my twins...V twins

Re: accident on I90 in US with plate from another car

Even if you hit a guard rail here they will bill you for it. You need to decide if you want the insurance to pay, or you just pay it. Does it really matter now if the insurance finds out? Either way, you will pay for it.

Pay them and take the hit. $1800 is peanuts compared to what the insurance company will ding your ***.

Banned

pay it. you illegally swapped the plate onto a vehicle that it was not registered to. cut your losses.

i think i should pay it,just don't want to pay it and my insurance finds out some how and jack my rate anyways you know.if my rate get jack up,then let them pay it.
    any of you work in the insurance industry? knows how is it actually works when something like this happened ?
    03 VTX 1800C
    03 RC 51
    I love my twins...V twins

I doubt your insurance covers this, pay it and hope they don't find out. What if you insured a ford focus and popped the plate on a viper to drive it, would insurance cover you in a wreck? I highly doubt it.

You got off lucky not being dinged for no insurance, as long as the state gets their money, I can't see a bureaucrat bothering to report it to insurance. Another vote for pay it and move on.

Your insurance, assuming you already had another car with coverage on it, would extend to this new car as a "newly acquired vehicle", subject to certain conditions.

It's outlined in Section 2 of the Ontario Automobile policy.

Send me a PM if you want, I'll need a little more info (i.e. how many cars you own, are they all insured with the same company and what coverages you have on each car) and from that I will be able to tell you what coverage might be available for the new car.

P.S. This must also have happened within 14 days of taking delivery of the new car.

In any case you're better off paying it than having an at-fault on your record for 6 years. $1800 is peanuts
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    pay it. you illegally swapped the plate onto a vehicle that it was not registered to. cut your losses.
    It "may" be legal.

Temporary use of plates(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).

Idem
    (4) Despite section 7 and clauses 12 (1) (d) and (e), a person may drive a motor vehicle or draw a trailer on a highway within six days after becoming the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer where the person complies with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (4).

Banned

for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle
    key point?

plus for the part platinum mentioned, do you not have to inform them that use will be using the plate on another vehicle?
    Last edited by rukus; 07-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.

key point?

plus for the part platinum mentioned, do you not have to inform them that use will be using the plate on another vehicle?
    Who is them?

You do not have to inform the MTO - that's why this clause was created.
    You would need to obtain insurance I presume.

If you insure another vehicle you are afforded 14 days for a newly aquired vehicle. They will back bill your premium though, but there should be coverage provided you have a valid policy somewhere.
    Look in the tunk, I think he means trunk.

Banned

but are you not required to contact the insurance company ("them"), to request coverage to said recently purchased vehcile?

iirc, there is not an "assumed" 14 grace period where you can share plates.
    also, to do this, does not the title need to be in the new owners name, not just signed over?

but are you not required to contact the insurance company ("them"), to request coverage to said recently purchased vehcile?

iirc, there is not an "assumed" 14 grace period where you can share plates.
    also, to do this, does not the title need to be in the new owners name, not just signed over?
    You have 6 days to notify ministry of changes, right?
    And you have 14 days to tell insurance company, right?

To me, that means I have 6 days to tell the ministry

I have purchased a car
    and
    want the ownership moved into my name
    and
    I have 6 days to inform the ministry that I have taken the plates off of a car I own
    and
    put them on a car that I just bought
    and
    I have 14 days to tell the insurance company about the new car.

Sounds simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    You have 6 days to notify ministry of changes, right?
    And you have 14 days to tell insurance company, right?

To me, that means I have 6 days to tell the ministry

I have purchased a car
    and
    want the ownership moved into my name
    and
    I have 6 days to inform the ministry that I have taken the plates off of a car I own
    and
    put them on a car that I just bought
    and
    I have 14 days to tell the insurance company about the new car.

Sounds simple to me.
    You have 6 days to notify the MTO of the change in ownership of the vehicle, but I don't think this means that you can simply slap the plate from one of your other vehicles on the newly-acquired vehicle without notifying the MTO. Ownership and plates are two different topics. Having ownership of a vehicle does not mean that it's plated.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by ironryder View Post
    OK here is the story.bought a car in NYC in late march this year,i just slap my Canadian plate on and way i went(imported 2 bikes same way without problems).on my way back near Utica,i hit a snow storm and went into the grad rail.trooper came and gave me a ticket for unsafe lane change, as his way of giving me a brake since i told him i got the car in the morning.car was tow and he drove me to a hotel and i toke a bus back the next day.a week later pick the car up with a flat bed and imported and pay the ticket.i fix the car myself and didn't reported to my insurance.

Now the problem is that the state send me a letter and is billing me for the grad rail for $1800 and said will notify my insurance company directly if they don't hear from me in 15 days.

Question is will my insurance company knows any way?or should i just pay them so my insurance won't find out? any better suggestions as what i should do?

A friend said that my Canadian plate should insure the car that i put the plate on,any truth in that? but i prefer to not let them know since i have already fix the car. thanks for any help
    beautiful butchering of the English language, well done sir!
    Saturday night is free moustache rides for the ladies, apply within

2009 Black n Orange bike with a bit of a rash
    2009 Blue and White bike SOLD

You broke so many laws so you will want to pay it fast and polite. The faster it's in the closed file the better. If the crash had been serious enough to warrant more investigation it would have put you into jail and bankruptcy.

you can leagaly drive a car with a plate from another vehicle for 6 days.... what you must have. The ownership for both vehicles, plates matching the ownership that is in your name for the car you own, valid insurance for the car you took the plates off of, and a bill of sale for the car you just bought.

i have been pulled over like this and there is nothing they can do in canada anyways.